Can gut bacteria cause zinc and copper to stay low? / should I donate blood ?

Motif

Again a thread about my zinc and copper that won’t go up.

I got a gi appointment next week.
should I try to get antibiotics for sibo and see if this makes a difference , oder should I first donate blood and see if this makes a change, even when my iron is in range ?
Im a bit scared to lower other nutrients with giving blood.

OP
M

Motif

Do you supplement zinc? What kind? How much?
I do. I tried a lot of forms. Zinc sulphate seems to be absorbed much better then others I tried.

40 mg daily helps my symptoms a lot when I take a lot of copper too.

Copper levels did not go lower with taking it.

i tried copper without zinc and still it didn’t go up.
no zinc supplements for years before I tried copper supplements and liver two times a week and cacao everyday (lots of it).

Perry Staltic

What makes you think your Zn is low? Zn normally is low in serum. I read some research once that the only good a serum zinc test really does if tell you if you're deficient. Supplementing with Zn won't raise serum Zn if you're not deficient. It gets stored or excreted.

OP
M

Motif

What makes you think your Zn is low? Zn normally is low in serum. I read some research once that the only good a serum zinc test really does if tell you if you're deficient. Supplementing with Zn won't raise serum Zn if you're not deficient. It gets stored or excreted.

yeah, blood tests always showed low zinc. Not only serum, but mostly serum was done.

high dosed zinc helps a lot with my dermatitis and I feel (high doses) in about an hour to help with the itching and when I keep taking it skin is less flakey and inflamed, but when I stop it it comes back as before in about one to two days.

last time I asked them to do serum and plasma and they told me they can’t do plasma , but something else that I can’t remember. Hemoglobin ?! Is there a zinc test in „hemoglobin „ blood or something like that? Maybe it was something totally different, sorry can’t remember

OP
M

Motif

i don’t get it. My serum zinc is low. Below range.

Perry Staltic

i don’t get it. My serum zinc is low. Below range.

I wish I had bookmarked that study, If I can find it I'll post it. Did multiple doctors tell you your Zn is low or are you assuming it from reading something? May not be cut and dried, or anything to worry about.

Have you tried consuming Zn supplements with Zn ionophores, like EGCG, quercetin? The fact that your symptoms improve when you supplement tells me your body needs it and is sucking it out of your blood. Sufficient selenium is essential too.

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

Have no idea if this is legit, but it's something you could try if interested. There's a link to the type of liquid zinc used for the test.

Zinc Challenge Method

Testing for zinc deficiency at home is a very simple and safe process! It was first reported in The Lancet as a good measure of blood levels. (7)

Simply take 1 teaspoon of liquid zinc in your mouth and hold it there for up to 30 seconds. You do not need to swish it around.

If you immediately taste something strongly bitter and unpleasant, such as a metallic taste that makes you grimace, this indicates excellent zinc status!

If you taste something mildly unpleasant almost immediately and the taste gets stronger with time, your zinc status is likely good, but not optimal.

The longer it takes to taste something other than water, the more deficient you may be.

If after 10-30 seconds, you still do not taste anything or the solution “tastes like water”, this can signal that you are very deficient.

OP
M

Motif

Have no idea if this is legit, but it's something you could try if interested. There's a link to the type of liquid zinc used for the test.

i have zinc sulfate and it tasted disgusting, but I don’t think that anybody doesn’t taste this. ??‍♂️

All my zinc blood tests over 12 years (don’t know before that) have been low. Many different doctors and labs.

same for copper.
Never heard about that egcg. Will google it.
Sulfate was the best yet.

OP
M

Motif

So simple green tea extract ?

i have Quercetin here, but never took it longer than two days in a row.

Perry Staltic

So simple green tea extract ?

i have Quercetin here, but never took it longer than two days in a row.

Yeah

OP
M

Motif

That suppossedly indicates your zinc level is excellent
Then why does improve my skin when I take it in high doses I wonder ?

same with copper.
only when I take both btw. Only high zinc and after a few days my skin gets super bad. Same with only copper.
Both and my skin improves as long as I take it.

+ those levels are low in blood, so i thought this might be my issue and I need to get my levels up.

Nothing else was improving my skin like this.
Vitamin C to some extend helps (lowering histamine).

Perry Staltic

Then why does improve my skin when I take it in high doses I wonder ?

same with copper.
only when I take both btw. Only high zinc and after a few days my skin gets super bad. Same with only copper.
Both and my skin improves as long as I take it.

+ those levels are low in blood, so i thought this might be my issue and I need to get my levels up.

Nothing else was improving my skin like this.
Vitamin C to some extend helps (lowering histamine).

Dunno. Good question. Maybe Zn ionophores will help get it into the cells. Also, you are aware that selenium is necessary to release Zn from its transporter proteins so it becomes bioavailable, right? I read something somewhere that older people can have problems with Zn getting bound to metallothioneins and becoming deficient that way. Don't know how old you are.

OP
M

Motif

Dunno. Good question. Maybe Zn ionophores will help get it into the cells. Also, you are aware that selenium is necessary to release Zn from its transporter proteins so it becomes bioavailable, right? I read something somewhere that older people can have problems with Zn getting bound to metallothioneins and becoming deficient that way. Don't know how old you are.

yeah I took selenium with it. And idea whatelse could be missing for that?

sibo or high iron even my blood tests are ok are the only things that come to my mind.

mid 30s btw, but have this issue for 15 years.

you think chronic tight muscles could play a role in this ? I thought about this often. Posture affecting organs . Don’t know if that could be really a thing

Perry Staltic

you think chronic tight muscles could play a role in this ? I thought about this often. Posture affecting organs . Don’t know if that could be really a thing

Yeah I definitely think it could be a thing. It's all interrelated

OP
M

Motif

Anybody knows how reliable the zinc taste test is?
@redsun your opinion on that?

I’m still considering trying intravenous zinc and copper. Maybe this is just it for me ??‍♂️

absolutely nobody knows why my levels don’t go up