Can Facial Dermal Fillers Be Harmful To The Body?

TreasureVibe

Hi There. As the title suggests, I am interested If dermal fillers used by cosmetic surgeons can be harmful to the body. Will the substances that get injected in the skin leak into the veins?

I hope someone can respond as I am asking this for my mother who gets these, but used to be hypertensive before peating!!

Thanks!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't know much about them but some years ago a dermatologist told me the filler is gradually re -absorbed in the body thus the need to have them repeatedly done. People often have mild bleeding and bruising at the injection site so it would seem like a small amount could get in the blood at the time of injection.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I don't know much about them but some years ago a dermatologist told me the filler is gradually re -absorbed in the body thus the need to have them repeatedly done. People often have mild bleeding and bruising at the injection site so it would seem like a small amount could get in the blood at the time of injection.
Thanks! I think she had hyaluronic acid injected. I read in another thread that hyaluronic acid causes estrogen to go up. Is this true?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks! I think she had hyaluronic acid injected. I read in another thread that hyaluronic acid causes estrogen to go up. Is this true?
Gosh, I have no idea. I only know that the dermatologist I mentioned preferred the hyaluronic acid type over collagen but that doesn't necessarily mean they are safe.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Gosh, I have no idea. I only know that the dermatologist I mentioned preferred the hyaluronic acid type over collagen but that doesn't necessarily mean they are safe.
Hmm I really wonder if it's estrogen promoting. If it was I could convince my mother to not use it, as estrogen would only add to the puffiness of her face, which is something she likes to get rid off in the first place.

Uhm, as a sidetrack to this topic, pregnenolone and progesterone help restore a more youthful face in women of 50 and older right?

And if so, wouldn't taking these hormones somehow upset or shut down endocrine glands in the body, which is seen typically in testosterone replacement therapy and the gonads for example?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Vitamin K made the biggest difference in my face puffiness. I'm 48.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Vitamin K made the biggest difference in my face puffiness. I'm 48.
Oh cool! And how long supplementing vit K did it take for you to notice the changes? My mom is already supplementing vit K by Thorne and recently added LEF Super K to the mix. But it's been only a few weeks that she's been taking it! Although results already showed alot (less bloating, more pronounced check bones, better teeth), she impulsively visited her dermatologist and still decided to get those fillers for her sagging jowls apparently... Because of her past chronic hypertension and noticeable excess estrogen I got her to start Peating so using these fillers with no clear studies got me kind of stressed out lol.

Here's a study which bears me worry for example. It mentions the following:

"Hyaluronic acid (HA) has been found to be an important trigger of atherosclerosis. In this study, we investigate the possible association of serum HA with cardiovascular disease risk in a population of low/intermediate risk for cardiovascular events."

Although the study does not directly explains this trigger formulation and it's a citation of another study..

Link: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcla.22010/abstract

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I noticed a difference in less than a month. Probably not anything as dramatic as plastic surgery but I think my face looks good (for me) for my age. Lots of people think I'm in my 30's. Hopefully if she keeps Peating she won't feel she needs fillers again.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I noticed a difference in less than a month. Probably not anything as dramatic as plastic surgery but I think my face looks good (for me) for my age. Lots of people think I'm in my 30's. Hopefully if she keeps Peating she won't feel she needs fillers again.
Thanks! I already got her to look into these facial exercises by a lady on YouTube which could help her, are there any particular Peaty solutions for sagging jowls? I remember reading that Dr. Peat mentioned pregnenolone to have a tightening effect of the muscles that sit beneath the skin in the jowls. But I am wary to let her use hormones yet.. It still seems too scary for us!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Pregnenolone seemed helpful but for me the effects weren't as consistent or permanent for lack of a better word compared to vitamin K. I do think eating well, managing stress and most of the prometabolic lifestyle measures discussed on this forum will help a person look and feel their best.

I don't know anything specifically for jowels but I do find red light and topical niacinamide and urea spray give my complexion more radiance than I would have otherwise. There's a person here that makes Peat inspired skincare. I haven't tried it myself because I usually make my own but it might be something non-hormonal that would help her feel better about her appearance. It's challenging to maintain balance in regards to aging in a world that values youth. It's tempting to go to extreme measures but the better I feel in general the less things like a few wrinkles or gray hairs matter if that makes sense.
The filler may not have been optimal but it's already done and the stress of worrying about it won't change anything at this point. Just remind her how beautiful she is often and keep looking out for her. You sound like a wonderful son.
I hope others may have information to add. Best wishes to you and your mom.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Pregnenolone seemed helpful but for me the effects weren't as consistent or permanent for lack of a better word compared to vitamin K. I do think eating well, managing stress and most of the prometabolic lifestyle measures discussed on this forum will help a person look and feel their best.

I don't know anything specifically for jowels but I do find red light and topical niacinamide and urea spray give my complexion more radiance than I would have otherwise. There's a person here that makes Peat inspired skincare. I haven't tried it myself because I usually make my own but it might be something non-hormonal that would help her feel better about her appearance. It's challenging to maintain balance in regards to aging in a world that values youth. It's tempting to go to extreme measures but the better I feel in general the less things like a few wrinkles or gray hairs matter if that makes sense.
The filler may not have been optimal but it's already done and the stress of worrying about it won't change anything at this point. Just remind her how beautiful she is often and keep looking out for her. You sound like a wonderful son.
Thank you!! Will look into the topical niacinamide and urea spray!

Travis

They can be, as long as they are just collagen and/or hyaluronic acid. I think a few decades ago they'd used minerals in the fillers, which aren't readily biodegradable. The ingredients are always listed online for every brand filler, and very often on the dermatologist's own website. In the even of an 'overfill,' then topical bromelain can help degrade collagen fillers at a faster rate. Bromelain certainly has collegenase activity, and is most likely why very unripe pineapples can be so hard on the mouth.. .

I'd stick to the 100% readsorbable ones if I were to do it. The body always remodels the extracellular matrix, so if you don't like what happens you can start buying pineapples. (Perhaps surprisingly: the bromelain enzyme has actually been proven to be absorbed in its whole and active form, in multiple experiments. It reduces platelet aggregation and helps to remodel blood vessel collagen!)

OP
T

TreasureVibe

They can be, as long as they are just collagen and/or hyaluronic acid. I think a few decades ago they'd used minerals in the fillers, which aren't readily biodegradable. The ingredients are always listed online for every brand filler, and very often on the dermatologist's own website. In the even of an 'overfill,' then topical bromelain can help degrade collagen fillers at a faster rate. Bromelain certainly has collegenase activity, and is most likely why very unripe pineapples can be so hard on the mouth.. .

I'd stick to the 100% readsorbable ones if I were to do it. The body always remodels the extracellular matrix, so if you don't like what happens you can start buying pineapples. (Perhaps surprisingly: the bromelain enzyme has actually been proven to be absorbed in its whole and active form, in multiple experiments. It reduces platelet aggregation and helps to remodel blood vessel collagen!)
That's handy, will keep in mind, thanks!!

Lolinaa

Wow, I shall try this then. I use sometimes some vitamin A at night or retinoid serum and in the morning a copper serum but I have 2 little moles and I read Peat said copper could cause more moles.
I have tried the caffeine, aspirin and niacinamide with water but it seems to be drying a bit. So I might order some urea and do this instead. I will try to get the red light as well this year before next winter.

@Travis: what do you think can make a little surgery scar disappears.?

Last edited:

LUH 3417

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387334/

It is now known that reactions to Hyaluronic acid are related not only to technical faults of the injections, but also to immune responses, including delayed hypersensitivity and granulomatous reactions. Herein, we describe five cases treated by a variety of treatment modalities, all with delayed reactions to different brands of hyaluronic acid fillers. As there is currently no standardization of treatment options of adverse effects, these cases accentuate the debate regarding the approach to the individual patient and the possible need for pre-testing in patients with an atopic tendency.

Travis

Wow, I shall try this then. I use sometimes some vitamin A at night or retinoid serum and in the morning a copper serum but I have 2 little moles and I read Peat said copper could cause more moles.
I have tried the caffeine, aspirin and niacinamide with water but it seems to be drying a bit. So I might order some urea and do this instead. I will try to get the red light as well this year before next winter.

@Travis: what do you think can make a little surgery scar disappears.?
You can buy bromelain powder on Amazon, which should help remodel the collagen matrix through enzymatic proteolysis. Vitamin C has been shown to increase the synthesis of procollagen eightfold, which is actually its classic effect. (Scurvy is characterized by failure to reform collagen, leading to bruising and failure to heal.)

OP
T

TreasureVibe

You can buy bromelain powder on Amazon, which should help remodel the collagen matrix through enzymatic proteolysis. Vitamin C has been shown to increase the synthesis of procollagen eightfold, which is actually its classic effect. (Scurvy is characterized by failure to reform collagen, leading to bruising and failure to heal.)
Travis, are the vitamin C claims on the following page correct?

http://www.nutri-spec.net/resources/activator.html

Also, do you know if hyaluronic acid is estrogenic, or estrogen-promoting in the body?

Thanks!

Travis

Travis, are the vitamin C claims on the following page correct?

http://www.nutri-spec.net/resources/activator.html

No: many of those claims are not true and most others are misleading. What you had linked is a highly disingenuous article which lists a litany of vitamin C scare points to prime the reader for a cocktail of vitamins, minerals, and small-molecule enzymatic cofactors called ACTIVATOR™. And what can ACTIVATOR™ do for you!—you may ask. ACTIVATOR™ is special in that, and I quote, 'you absorb virtually all the nutrients. This is due to what is called the dissolution characteristics of the supplement. You see, most vitamins and minerals have only a very short section of your intestines through which they can be absorbed. Most supplements do not even begin to dissolve in your intestine until they have passed the point of absorption for most nutrients. (This is probably why more damage isn't done by the typical trashy supplement — most of the ingredients pass right through you and into the toilet without ever actually being absorbed into your blood.)' You see this is not 'trashy' like most supplements. In one fell swoop, ACTIVATOR™ waves its magic wand and correctly points out that most supplements are formulated with kryptonite binderspreventing absorption of over 99% of what's declared on the label.

'You can easily see that the scientific evidence supports Activator as being the perfect foundation of your nutrition plan. Begin taking it today — and continue taking it throughout a longer, stronger life.' —ACTIVATOR™ promo

But it is highly disingenous, as can be seen by checking their citations. Here is another quote which demonstrates this:

'You have now seen that both Vitamin C and zinc work against the activity of copper. How many people do you know that are taking Vitamin C and zinc because they are both "good for the immune system?" Combining Vitamin C and zinc has such a powerful anti-copper effect that it can actually cause cardio-vascular disease. (16)' —ACTIVATOR™ promo

But since it's the lack of vitamin C that actually causes cardiovascular disease (Pauling, 1991), I had decided to check out the citation for this claim. For this to occur we need to track down reference №16:

ref.png

And what is reference №16 you may ask? Well . . . reference №16 is this:

Klevay, L. "Dietary copper: a powerful determinant of cholesterolemia." Medical hypotheses (1987)

Which is only an article describing a previously-conducted study, taking data from that and using other data from studies done using cholesterol-lowering drugs. They hadn't even linked the original experimental article—which is this one here:

And this had detected an increase in circulating cholesterol using a copper-depleted diet, short-term, and using merely one 29 year-old male. The experimental article of course did not show cardiovascular disease—it being of short duration—and hadn't mentioned vitamin C even once. I think you would have expected to find a clinical trial referenced for such a claim as "[vitamin C] can actually cause cardio-vascular disease'—perhaps even an epidemiological study; but instead all that we get is a poorly-typset article using data from a study conducted prior using only one single subject—vitamin C not even being mentioned, much less used to to induce the deficiency. Moreover: there's very little reason to actually think that plasma cholesterol of this magnitude, found in this single subject, would actually 'cause cardio-vascular disease.'

c.png

I don't think high vitamin C containing foods would lower the net Cu²⁺/Zn²⁺ ratio enough to significantly increase plasma cholesterol for the reason that high-vitamin C food tend to have a high Cu²⁺/Zn²⁺ ratio anyway. If you can lend the space in your belly for ~700·Cal of fruit, then I think you should be fine. The very high amounts given in certain circumstances shouldn't be used to detract from modest amounts, being obligatory as humans are one of the few species unable to synthesize it. I think the evidence points towards Zn²⁺ being the main driver of cholesterol synthesis, with Cu²⁺ being merely its counterion. In short, that article is mostly fearmongering using lines of evidence misleading and inaccurate remarks bordering on confabulation. And if a person doesn't eat fruit, then perhaps they should take vitamin C in amounts similar to what humans had consumed during evolution.

Last edited:
OP
T

TreasureVibe

No: many of those claims are not true and most others are misleading. What you had linked is a highly disingenuous article which lists a litany of vitamin C scare points to prime the reader for a cocktail of vitamins, minerals, and small-molecule enzymatic cofactors called ACTIVATOR™. And what can ACTIVATOR™ do for you!—you may ask. ACTIVATOR™ is special in that, and I quote, 'you absorb virtually all the nutrients. This is due to what is called the dissolution characteristics of the supplement. You see, most vitamins and minerals have only a very short section of your intestines through which they can be absorbed. Most supplements do not even begin to dissolve in your intestine until they have passed the point of absorption for most nutrients. (This is probably why more damage isn't done by the typical trashy supplement — most of the ingredients pass right through you and into the toilet without ever actually being absorbed into your blood.)' You see this is not 'trashy' like most supplements. In one fell swoop, ACTIVATOR™ waves its magic wand and correctly points out that most supplements are formulated with kryptonite binderspreventing absorption of over 99% of what's declared on the label.

'You can easily see that the scientific evidence supports Activator as being the perfect foundation of your nutrition plan. Begin taking it today — and continue taking it throughout a longer, stronger life.' —ACTIVATOR™ promo

But it is highly disingenous, as can be seen by checking their citations. Here is another quote which demonstrates this:

'You have now seen that both Vitamin C and zinc work against the activity of copper. How many people do you know that are taking Vitamin C and zinc because they are both "good for the immune system?" Combining Vitamin C and zinc has such a powerful anti-copper effect that it can actually cause cardio-vascular disease. (16)' —ACTIVATOR™ promo

But since it's the lack of vitamin C that actually causes cardiovascular disease (Pauling, 1991), I had decided to check out the citation for this claim. For this to occur we need to track down reference №16:

And what is reference №16 you may ask? Well . . . reference №16 is this:

Klevay, L. "Dietary copper: a powerful determinant of cholesterolemia." Medical hypotheses (1987)

Which is only an article describing a previously-conducted study, taking data from that and using other data from studies done using cholesterol-lowering drugs. They hadn't even linked the original experimental article—which is this one here:

And this had detected an increase in circulating cholesterol using a copper-depleted diet, short-term, and using merely one 29 year-old male. The experimental article of course did not show cardiovascular disease—it being of short duration—and hadn't mentioned vitamin C even once. I think you would have expected to find a clinical trial referenced for such a claim as "[vitamin C] can actually cause cardio-vascular disease'—perhaps even an epidemiological study; but instead all that we get is a poorly-typset article using data from a study conducted prior using only one single subject—vitamin C not even being mentioned, much less used to to induce the deficiency. Moreover: there's very little reason to actually think that plasma cholesterol of this magnitude, found in this single subject, would actually 'cause cardio-vascular disease.'

I don't think high vitamin C containing foods would lower the net Cu²⁺/Zn²⁺ ratio enough to significantly increase plasma cholesterol for the reason that high-vitamin C food tend to have a high Cu²⁺/Zn²⁺ ratio anyway. If you can lend the space in your belly for ~700·Cal of fruit, then I think you should be fine. The very high amounts given in certain circumstances shouldn't be used to detract from modest amounts, being obligatory as humans are one of the few species unable to synthesize it. I think the evidence points towards Zn²⁺ being the main driver of cholesterol synthesis, with Cu²⁺ being merely its counterion. In short, that article is mostly fearmongering using lines of evidence misleading and inaccurate remarks bordering on confabulation. And if a person doesn't eat fruit, then perhaps they should take vitamin C in amounts similar to what humans had consumed during evolution.
Wow, thanks for this great explanation Travis. Would doses of supplemental vitamin C of around 5000 mg a day be problematic though, and able to cause copper deficiency?

And according to this study it can cause cancer! :O https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11408659/ What do you think? Disinfo?

Also, as you didn't answer my other question I would like to ask it once more if you don't mind, hyaluronic acid, can it promote estrogen production or be estrogenic by itself? Thanks!!

Last edited: