Can Eggshell Calcium Go Bad - Rancid, Stale ?

DMF

My eggshell calcium doesn't give off the characteristic 'fizz' when mixed with citrus juice like it did the first couple of weeks I made it, where now it's rather flat, nor does it seem to mix well either, creating tiny clumps i have to break up.
I'm thinking of dumping it and making a new batch then see what happens....

yerrag

My eggshell calcium doesn't give off the characteristic 'fizz' when mixed with citrus juice like it did the first couple of weeks I made it, where now it's rather flat, nor does it seem to mix well either, creating tiny clumps i have to break up.
I'm thinking of dumping it and making a new batch then see what happens....
I never expected my eggshell calcium to fully react to make calcium ascorbate or calcium bicarbonate. For that to happen,I have to use a fine grade of calcium carbonate that is at least food grade, preferably USP grade.

I make my own eggshell powder with a powerful blender (Blendtec) and it doesn't come out as fine as what I can buy.

I only use my eggshell powder eating it from a teaspoon or having it sprinkling of the milk froth on top of my coffee.

I have to clean my eggshells by soaking in water and then dehydrating the eggshells to make sure there in no significant moisture left. This ensure that it is dry and doesn't turn into molds. I then use the blender to pulverize it.

BrianF

I have always presumed hat ESC powder sitting in a container will not be sterile after a day or so and after a few weeks might even harbour some nasty stuff. To get round this, I boil a tiny amount of water then add the ESC powder to sterilise the powder. I stir a little to break up the powder and ensure that no clumps with a mould or bacteria escape the sterilisation, then i add a little cold water and drink quickly.

yerrag

I have always presumed hat ESC powder sitting in a container will not be sterile after a day or so and after a few weeks might even harbour some nasty stuff. To get round this, I boil a tiny amount of water then add the ESC powder to sterilise the powder. I stir a little to break up the powder and ensure that no clumps with a mould or bacteria escape the sterilisation, then i add a little cold water and drink quickly.
You made me realize I missed the part about boiling the eggshells.

michael94

You made me realize I missed the part about boiling the eggshells.
I soak my eggshells in diluted bleach. This seemed to completely dissolve the membrane coating and other protein residues. Then I strained them a few times and dried them before grinding with a mortar/pestle. The end result seems to be a very pure calcium carbonate

Boiling them should sterilize them, but it wont completely clean them of the membrane

yerrag

I soak my eggshells in diluted bleach. This seemed to completely dissolve the membrane coating and other protein residues. Then I strained them a few times and dried them before grinding with a mortar/pestle. The end result seems to be a very pure calcium carbonate

Boiling them should sterilize them, but it wont completely clean them of the membrane
That's a good idea.

I have been eating the membrane out of not knowing a way to remove them. Will try your way when my supply runs out.

Thanks,!

BrianF

I usually collect maybe the shells of six eggs boil them and remove the membrane before grilling them for a very short period to further kill any nasties and dry them off.

I then grind them with a coffee grinder to create a powder that will last me some weeks.

Then with the powder, I do as metioned above: Add to a very small amount of boiling water, stir, add cooler water to reduce temperature, then drink.

J.R.K

I toss my eggshells in the oven for 30 minutes at 350’F
Then use a spice grinder to break it up, storing it in a collagen can, I find this keeps very well as I believe that the potential pathogens present are killed but also a dehydrated level of moisture content will prevent or reduce the possibility any regrowth.

VitoScaletta

I never expected my eggshell calcium to fully react to make calcium ascorbate or calcium bicarbonate. For that to happen,I have to use a fine grade of calcium carbonate that is at least food grade, preferably USP grade.

I make my own eggshell powder with a powerful blender (Blendtec) and it doesn't come out as fine as what I can buy.

I only use my eggshell powder eating it from a teaspoon or having it sprinkling of the milk froth on top of my coffee.

I have to clean my eggshells by soaking in water and then dehydrating the eggshells to make sure there in no significant moisture left. This ensure that it is dry and doesn't turn into molds. I then use the blender to pulverize it.
Unrelated maybe but I just put them in the oven after I boil them, that makes them grind easier and also obviously dehydrates. I do it like 170 Celsius for 40 minutes I think

yerrag

Unrelated maybe but I just put them in the oven after I boil them, that makes them grind easier and also obviously dehydrates. I do it like 170 Celsius for 40 minutes I think
Low over heat works very well. I may have done the same thing as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals