Can chronic use of baking soda decrease stomach acid?

IVILA

I echo thoughts said here. The few occasions I used baking soda, it definitely wrecked my digestion in terms of stomach acid and it also caused some issue with my kidneys. 'Milk Akali Syndome' I believe is what I had at the time. My teeth got ghost white - "too white" and not the healthy/pearly kind of white and I would get a sharp pain in my kidneys.

For consistently clean digestion - If I was in the UK, I would probably use canned pineapple and follow up each meal with a slice or two with a bit of coffee as well - I believe it definitely cleans up the gut well and the manganese content gives a good boost in DHT as well
i though pineapples were serotonergic if eaten in high amounts. How would that help with cleaning digestion and raising DHT?

Amazoniac

The use of baking soda between meals can be while there's still food in the stomach, whereas supplementation before meals is more likely to be after completion. It suppresses the appetite temporarily, and when it returns, the gastric acidity must have normalized. Usually, it takes 40 min for this, the alkalinization is only transient. It will take more time for some people to reacidify, but it shouldn't lead to permanent changes.

- Acid Rebound

"Twenty-four patients with chronic duodenal ulcer were studied on three or more occasions. The test meal, consisting of 170 gm of ground sirloin steak, two pieces of toast with butter and water, was started in this laboratory between 7 and 8 a.m. Previous food had not been eaten for at least 10 hours. One hour after the meal was started, one of the antacids or water as a control was given."

1650501589844.png

- The Broad Street pump revisited: response of volunteers to ingested cholera vibrios.

"Cholera vibrios are exquisitely sensitive to low pH. The 15- and 30-minute postbicarbonate pH determinations of the volunteers were correlated with the attack rates of disease. The group of men characterized as overcoming the bicarbonate effect was termed "secretors" and those who remained buffered (pH 5.0 or greater) "nonsecretors." These terms have no connotation other than that they are defined relative to each other. The importance of this differentiation in terms of susceptibility to cholera is presented in Table V."

1650501620675.png

"Though the numbers are small, attack in the secretor groups were less than in those individuals with a prolonged buffering effect. The increasing attack rate with increasing vibrio dose in the secretor group was also a suggestive trend. That the same vibrio doses induced disease in almost all the nonsecretors implied that low gastric pH was an important defense against induced cholera."

- Effect of Treatment of Metabolic Acidosis on Vascular Endothelial Function in Patients with CKD

"Commercially available oral sodium bicarbonate was used. Each tablet contained 650 mg (7.6 mEq) sodium bicarbonate." "Depending on the dose needed, participants took the medication two to three times per day." "The maximum dose given was nine tablets per day."​

Their maximum dose was 6 g, taken throughout the day. 2 tsp of baking soda would be close to 10 g, which is a lot at once. The purpose is different, yours is to draw fluids to the intestines for it to work as a laxative, but is 10 g your mininum effective dose?

A sweetener allows you to take baking soda without liquids, avoiding the ballooning of the alkalinized stomach. The liquids can be put on hold until you sense that it's comfortable to consume them.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

The use of baking soda between meals can be while there's still food in the stomach, whereas supplementation before meals is more likely to be after completion. It suppresses the appetite temporarily, and when it returns, the gastric acidity must have normalized. Usually, it takes 40 min for this, the alkalinization is only transient. It will take more time for some people to reacidify, but it shouldn't lead to permanent changes.

- Acid Rebound

"Twenty-four patients with chronic duodenal ulcer were studied on three or more occasions. The test meal, consisting of 170 gm of ground sirloin steak, two pieces of toast with butter and water, was started in this laboratory between 7 and 8 a.m. Previous food had not been eaten for at least 10 hours. One hour after the meal was started, one of the antacids or water as a control was given."

- The Broad Street pump revisited: response of volunteers to ingested cholera vibrios.

"Cholera vibrios are exquisitely sensitive to low pH. The 15- and 30-minute postbicarbonate pH determinations of the volunteers were correlated with the attack rates of disease. The group of men characterized as overcoming the bicarbonate effect was termed "secretors" and those who remained buffered (pH 5.0 or greater) "nonsecretors." These terms have no connotation other than that they are defined relative to each other. The importance of this differentiation in terms of susceptibility to cholera is presented in Table V."

"Though the numbers are small, attack in the secretor groups were less than in those individuals with a prolonged buffering effect. The increasing attack rate with increasing vibrio dose in the secretor group was also a suggestive trend. That the same vibrio doses induced disease in almost all the nonsecretors implied that low gastric pH was an important defense against induced cholera."​

- Effect of Treatment of Metabolic Acidosis on Vascular Endothelial Function in Patients with CKD

"Commercially available oral sodium bicarbonate was used. Each tablet contained 650 mg (7.6 mEq) sodium bicarbonate." "Depending on the dose needed, participants took the medication two to three times per day." "The maximum dose given was nine tablets per day."​

Their maximum dose was 6 g, taken throughout the day. 2 tsp of baking soda would be close to 10 g, which is a lot at once. The purpose is different, yours is to draw fluids to the intestines for it to work as a laxative, but is 10 g your mininum effective dose?

A sweetener allows you to take baking soda without liquids, avoiding the ballooning of the alkalinized stomach. The liquids can be put on hold until you sense that it's comfortable to consume them.

- Acid Rebound

"Though the numbers are small, attack in the secretor groups were less than in those individuals with a prolonged buffering effect. The increasing attack rate with increasing vibrio dose in the secretor group was also a suggestive trend. That the same vibrio doses induced disease in almost all the nonsecretors implied that low gastric pH was an important defense against induced cholera."​

I wonder whether actually taking 10-15g baking soda on one go over months could negatively affect metabolism hmm, my urine ph in the evening after i do baking soda flush is at around 8, and in the morning first thing is still 8.

Wonder how much bicarb is absorbed considering profound laxative effect after drinking the solution.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals