Can being extremely hypothyroid cause total appetite loss?

Really? How did you climb out of the hole? I’m not skinny BTW I’m the fattest I’ve ever been at the lowest calorie intake.
It was a complicated issue which stemmed from early childhood stress and eventually culminated as severe digestive issues in late 20's. It's a long process - rest, managing stress, inner mental work, removing problematic foods, sunlight, artificial red light, vitamins, minerals, getting plenty of nutritious foods, socializing with like minded supportive people, playing music. After 3 years I'm still not a 100%.

equipoise

It was a complicated issue which stemmed from early childhood stress and eventually culminated as severe digestive issues in late 20's. It's a long process - rest, managing stress, inner mental work, removing problematic foods, sunlight, artificial red light, vitamins, minerals, getting plenty of nutritious foods, socializing with like minded supportive people, playing music. After 3 years I'm still not a 100%.
It takes a long time, but the thought that keeps me hangin on is how humbling the ride is. You learn so much, it's as if the whole world just responds better to your collective being. Would never go back

It takes a long time, but the thought that keeps me hangin on is how humbling the ride is. You learn so much, it's as if the whole world just responds better to your collective being. Would never go back
Exactly. And worst part was not even the symptoms, but the depersonalization issue.

Motif

Bloating could be lack of bile, low stomach acid, or digestive enzymes. You dont want "1000 calories of plain meat". If you work on lowering cortisol and adrenaline things might improve. Perhaps try the potatoes juice protein, it's a pain to make but it might help.

Ray Peat on Handling Protein

RAY PEAT: The amino acids in the protein themselves are strong stimulants of the insulin secretion and when you don't take in sugar, the insulin to dispose of the protein will lower your blood sugar and to prevent the blood sugar going down you tend to produce either adrenalin or cortisol or both. And if your liver didn't have the glycogen stored to release glucose under the influence of adrenalin, then you depend on cortisol to keep your blood sugar steady and cortisol activates the conversion of protein to sugar and fat and so you've destroyed a big part of the protein that you've just eaten. I've seen people who were eating a couple of pounds of meat a day who were having signs of protein deficiency and getting fat. So to handle the protein efficiently you need the glucose to make sure that your insulin isn't lowering your blood sugar, you need either glucose or fructose to steady your blood sugar. And the fat does several things. The saturated fat works with fructose and insulin to handle your oxidation of the glucose and the fat also slows the absorption so that you don't get a surge of glucose in your blood when you, say, have coffee with sugar. And the coffee, like the glucose, stimulates your metabolic rate and both of those, by increasing your metabolic rate, are going to increase your general nutritional requirements: minerals and all of the vitamins have to be adequate and if you don’t substitute the sugar for things like fruit, milk, cheese, shellfish, eggs and so on, then you will very likely become deficient in biotin and Vitamin B6 and pantothenic acid, selenium and copper are things that are among the first to become deficient if you try to run on too much coffee and sugar and not enough food"

still struggling with low stomach acid and bile too. What would you recommend ?

P

Peatness

For stomach acid salt, thiamine, B3 should help. For bile glycine, taurine, or bile supplements. I think getting enough protein should be beneficial too.

Is your vitamin D adequate?

OP
D

dogtrainer

This sounds like me!! Are you male or female?

Let’s say a person has all the typical signs of hypothyroidism - low temps, slow digestion, constipation, low energy, SIBO.

Can appetite loss be a symptom of lowered BMR? What are the main hormones driving this phenomenon, and what could someone do to start the appetite back up again?

would the best course of action be to Force foods until appetite is detected, even if forcing causes bloating, pain, etc?

or best to wait out the body until it decides it is hungry?
When I have had that feeling it has been because my liver or gall bladder was sluggish, like when i was dealing stones. I still get that feeling occasionally when I am stressed and eat crappy foods, but then I take a milk thistle and it seems to "wake" things up.

OP
D

dogtrainer

When I have had that feeling it has been because my liver or gall bladder was sluggish, like when i was dealing stones. I still get that feeling occasionally when I am stressed and eat crappy foods, but then I take a milk thistle and it seems to "wake" things up.
I don't doubt that my liver and gallbladder are sluggish. Liver supplements seem to help but they quit working after a while

Tripodi

Let’s say a person has all the typical signs of hypothyroidism - low temps, slow digestion, constipation, low energy, SIBO.

Can appetite loss be a symptom of lowered BMR? What are the main hormones driving this phenomenon, and what could someone do to start the appetite back up again?

would the best course of action be to Force foods until appetite is detected, even if forcing causes bloating, pain, etc?

or best to wait out the body until it decides it is hungry?
Wow, I empathise with you! I actually tried to ask this very question but it never made it out. I struggle with this issue and it is beyond carrot salad, cooked mushrooms, and bamboo shoots. Antibiotics is what I am contemplating, but I will go to Georgi's products first. I of course have low thyroid and it was an extreme case and our age plays a big part in our history. My age is now 60.
Every symptom you share here I have EXACTLY the same and I even describe it the same way ! (6 mo. pregnant belly!) My constipation is a bit more under control now. I contribute that to eating Lots of juicy fruits and cynoplus. I was actually gagging when I tried to eat the foods I use to enjoy, like eggs, carrot salad, meats.... no matter what was going in, I was gagging. The only thing I was able to tolerate was the juicy fruits, hogan-doz vanilla ice cream, coffee with sugar & milk and O.J and I always put my collagen in those, so I was getting some protein. Then I began to drop 2 egg yolks in with calcium and magnesium to add more calories and make a meal out of it. The bloating started to subside when I stopped forcing myself to eat. Now, I eat when I get hungry and most of the time, it may only be 2 bites and I'm full. I leave it at that. I cook my foods and yes, liver is one of them and I may only eat 1 - 2 oz at a time.
I also find that sea salt is precious. I don't even measure it, but if I did, I would say its about 1/8 tsp. and I drop it into a glass with warm water and drink it up. Within 10 min. my body feels very relaxed. No bloat. The other thing that helps ease my bloat and discomfort is Charcoal power. 1tsp. with 1tsp of coconut oil and add a liquid of my choice to help swallow it. It gives me noticable results. I sure hope this helps you in some way. Are you taking any thyroid medication? If not, that may be the biggest help.

OP
D

dogtrainer

Wow, I empathise with you! I actually tried to ask this very question but it never made it out. I struggle with this issue and it is beyond carrot salad, cooked mushrooms, and bamboo shoots. Antibiotics is what I am contemplating, but I will go to Georgi's products first. I of course have low thyroid and it was an extreme case and our age plays a big part in our history. My age is now 60.
Every symptom you share here I have EXACTLY the same and I even describe it the same way ! (6 mo. pregnant belly!) My constipation is a bit more under control now. I contribute that to eating Lots of juicy fruits and cynoplus. I was actually gagging when I tried to eat the foods I use to enjoy, like eggs, carrot salad, meats.... no matter what was going in, I was gagging. The only thing I was able to tolerate was the juicy fruits, hogan-doz vanilla ice cream, coffee with sugar & milk and O.J and I always put my collagen in those, so I was getting some protein. Then I began to drop 2 egg yolks in with calcium and magnesium to add more calories and make a meal out of it. The bloating started to subside when I stopped forcing myself to eat. Now, I eat when I get hungry and most of the time, it may only be 2 bites and I'm full. I leave it at that. I cook my foods and yes, liver is one of them and I may only eat 1 - 2 oz at a time.
I also find that sea salt is precious. I don't even measure it, but if I did, I would say its about 1/8 tsp. and I drop it into a glass with warm water and drink it up. Within 10 min. my body feels very relaxed. No bloat. The other thing that helps ease my bloat and discomfort is Charcoal power. 1tsp. with 1tsp of coconut oil and add a liquid of my choice to help swallow it. It gives me noticable results. I sure hope this helps you in some way. Are you taking any thyroid medication? If not, that may be the biggest help.
I take thyroid, probably not enough and probably not the right type. My blood work is low despite my supplementation. Currently trying T4+T3 combo to see if that helps!

charcoal has constipated me and been painful going down the last few times I’ve tried it but I just bought some more to try again in a small dose.

I am only 32! But feel 60 sometimes! Yes for me it so resistant to all the normal carrot salad level approaches.

you might look at your thyroid and liver function and see what you can do to get those organs functioning well. I really feel like in my particular case, my digestive tract got shut down due to years of undereating and restricting carbs. So now it’s not a simple fix of taking thyroid medication.

Tripodi

I take thyroid, probably not enough and probably not the right type. My blood work is low despite my supplementation. Currently trying T4+T3 combo to see if that helps!

charcoal has constipated me and been painful going down the last few times I’ve tried it but I just bought some more to try again in a small dose.

I am only 32! But feel 60 sometimes! Yes for me it so resistant to all the normal carrot salad level approaches.

you might look at your thyroid and liver function and see what you can do to get those organs functioning well. I really feel like in my particular case, my digestive tract got shut down due to years of undereating and restricting carbs. So now it’s not a simple fix of taking thyroid medication.
Thank you. it is so good to read your only 32. You are way ahead of most.