Can Bananas Make You Sick?

A. squamosa

Just wondering what could cause spontaneous vomiting (x3) 40 mins after eating a banana. I ate other things as well, another piece of fruit, some tea, a bit of chocolate, but (sorry to be gross) none of this showed up when I vommed - just banana and a bit of chocolate. Had to keep on vomiting until it was just bile and retching, it burst blood vessels in my face :(

No, pathogenic bacteria makes you sick and pathogenic bacteria can be on/in anything, even on your own hands right now. It's unlikely it was the banana because pathogenic bacteria are unlikely to be inside the banana if it was completely sealed and you opened it and ate it right away. It could have been something you were exposed to days ago as well. It's odd that you say you had to keep vomiting. You should never force yourself to vomit unless you know you ingested something toxic. Otherwise, let the body vomit on it's own.

People will say it was because of the serotonin in the banana but by that logic one should vomit more frequently when they ingest banana.

Last edited:
OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

Oh I didn't force myself, sorry, phrased that poorly. I mean, by the third time I did have to, but it was good that I did because I stopped feeling nauseated after that.

tyler

Was it ripe (covered with brown spots, peels with ease)?
People often think yellow means ripe- but it should be covered with brown spots (not bruises).

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

Yep it was spotted brown. Could've been riper, but wasn't terribly underripe or anything. I ate a custard apple too, only 10 mins before it, but that didn't show up. I'm just concerned because fruit is my favourite thing, and I really hope it's not some sensitivity/allergy I'm developing? I've been avoiding fruit since it happened. It was just so bizarre!

mangoes

Bananas used to consistently make me nauseous any time I'd eat them, but not vomit, but then it just stopped happening and I can eat them no problem now.

Diokine

It's entirely possible that a histamine response triggered by an allergic reaction to bananas could cause vomiting. Hypersensitivity of the sympathetic nervous system and elevated catecholamines would enhance this effect.

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

Amaranthine, this hasn't happened to me before - could the suddenness of it occur with other fruit too do you think? Also, what is a catecholamine? Cheers!

jitsmonkey

many many folks are unknowingly sensitive to bananas. not the best fruit to be eating. especially the over manipulated cavendish banana most commonly found.
tropical locations locally produced bananas often are tolerated much better.

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

I'm australian, and the banana was an organic australian one :(
I think I'll just steer clear from them (and other berries) from now on, hopefully there's no reaction to other fruits

sladerunner69

Just wondering what could cause spontaneous vomiting (x3) 40 mins after eating a banana. I ate other things as well, another piece of fruit, some tea, a bit of chocolate, but (sorry to be gross) none of this showed up when I vommed - just banana and a bit of chocolate. Had to keep on vomiting until it was just bile and retching, it burst blood vessels in my face :(

I would assume forst off that it is an allergic reaction. Bananas are known to be highly allergenic which si wh they are not ont he peat approved fruit list, similiar to mangoes. If you are not explicitly allergic then it could be the starchy material irritating the gut or causing you to over excrete bile.

beta pandemic

im also from australia

i learned that if i ingest 1 ripe banana everyday i can eventually eat more with no reaction. i also reacted to ripe bananas very badly. this may be the case for you. eat 1 ripe banana a day for a week. then add another banana/day the 2nd week. after two weeks you will be able to eat as many bananas as you please. and you will find many other fruit sensitivity will be gone.

also do not eat the banana with any other food.

milk_lover

During my perfect health diet, I ate a lot of bananas because of how important potassium is in the diet (little did I know that potassium is not everything) and I've always had red eyes after eating them and I feel tired. It could be allergy/histamine or it could be serotonin thing although histamine and serotonin can go hand in hand.

Peatful

No, pathogenic bacteria makes you sick and pathogenic bacteria can be on/in anything, even on your own hands right now. It's unlikely it was the banana because pathogenic bacteria are unlikely to be inside the banana if it was completely sealed and you opened it and ate it right away. It could have been something you were exposed to days ago as well. It's odd that you say you had to keep vomiting. You should never force yourself to vomit unless you know you ingested something toxic. Otherwise, let the body vomit on it's own.

People will say it was because of the serotonin in the banana but by that logic one should vomit more frequently when they ingest banana.
100% this.

What vomiting bananas did tell u is that since they are starchy they take longer to digest....vs the other fruit or chocolate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals