Can Anyone Recommend A Good Weight Lifting Regime

Paul144

Im going to give jogging a rest due to foot and knee pain and will start doing weights all i have is 60lbs in total to work with can you guys tell me how long i should lift for and how many sets of each also im wondering how can o get abs with weights please help

Malris

Hey Paul,

Depends on what you want. @Hans has a service where he can work with you for lifting and/or supplements.

For both of these next suggestions, there's a lot of stuff on YouTube by both groups. I'd check those out and see what you think of those before buying anything. You can probably do 2 months worth of exercises easy from either one without paying a dime, then, if you want more of either one you can buy something. Or not.

Personally, I love the CaliMove calisthenics stuff (Cali Move). It's fairly inexpensive, and most of it can be done with a pair of rings and/or a dip & pull-up station. 2 years of self-customized exercises for about $200-250. One of the guys is a physical therapist, so the exercises are set up to help you gain & maintain mobility without causing injury.

There's also Jeff Cavaliere/AthleanX (ATHLEAN-X | Six Pack Abs and Building Athletic Muscle) if you want weightlifting instead of calisthenics. His stuff is good to great, but when I tried it I wasn't strong or in shape enough to do it. It was about $100 for each of his plans when I last looked. He's a physical therapist too, as well as a professional athletics guy (he was in charge of athletics for the Mets for a while, IIRC) so he's really concentrated on creating routines that will help keep you from getting injured.

Whatever you do, if you find something you like, make sure that it's training opposing muscle groups. If the program just has you doing different kinds of push (bench press, pushups, flys, shoulder press, squat, situps or planks, etc.) then you're only training the front side of your body, which will cause or accentuate bad posture, and eventually real hip and shoulder problems. Gotta have pulls to counter the pushes!

milkboi

I like Kinobody’s Greek god program because of its simplicity and time efficiency. It focuses on upper body development and has two different training days (chest & shoulders; back and legs). Main goal is to become stronger in a lowish rep range (5-8 reps) on the (incline) bench press, chin ups/pull ups and overhead press. It’s definitely worth the 100 bucks or whatever it costs but I‘m sure you can also find the PDF for free floating somewhere in the WWW.

David90

I like Kinobody’s Greek god program because of its simplicity and time efficiency. It focuses on upper body development and has two different training days (chest & shoulders; back and legs). Main goal is to become stronger in a lowish rep range (5-8 reps) on the (incline) bench press, chin ups/pull ups and overhead press. It’s definitely worth the 100 bucks or whatever it costs but I‘m sure you can also find the PDF for free floating somewhere in the WWW.
*Coughing Loud*
(PDF) Greek God Muscle Building Program | Ahmet Demircioğlu - Academia.edu

Kinobody's Greek God Program is very good indeed. My Serious Weightlifting Phase has begun with that.
Because it concentrates on short and effective Workouts (Workouts done between 45-60 Minutes), as well as Compound Movements (barely some Isolation Exercises) and Progression (via More Reps or gettinger Stronger).

Here is what a simple Greek God Program would look like:
Workout A:
Incline Bench Press / 3x 5-8 Reps (RPT)
Standing Press / 3 x 5-8 Reps (RPT)
Lateral Raise / 3x 8-12 Reps
Skull Crushers / 3x 6-10 Reps

Workout B:
Weighted Chin Ups / 3x 5-8 Reps (RPT)
Hang Cleans or Sumo Deadlift / 3 x 5-8 Reps (RPT)
Bent Over Flyes / 8-12 Reps
Barbell Curls / 3x 6-10 Reps

And here is what a Speciliazation Phase would look like:
Chest Specialization:

Workout A
Incline Bench Press / 5 Sets (RPT: 5, 6, 8, 8, 8)
Flat Bench Press / 3 Sets (RPT: 6, 8, 10)
Lateral Raise / 3x 8-12 Reps
Skull Crushers / 3x 6-10 Reps

As you can see in the Specialization Phases, there will be additional Volume in terms of adding 2 more Sets to your First Compound Exercise (which is the Incline Bench in this Case). Also the Second Exercises will be (mostly) a Compound Movement that also Compliments this Phase by adding more Volume (in this Case, Shoulder Press gets switched for Flat Bench Press, to give The Chest more Volume. Also Flat and Incline Bench are hitting the Shoulders INDIRECTLY to some Extent.

The ONLY Two Problems i see with this, is the Volume of the Sets and a missing (Weighted-) Abs Exercise.
Because the ''Strength and Density Workout'' could be WAY to less Volume.
Also Most of the Guys want Abs and i (personally) think, only Training them once or twice per Week, won't be enough. I would personally add at least one (Weighted-)Exercise for Abs (3 Sets) at the End of EVERY Workout.

For Hypertrophy, you will need at least 10 Sets per Muscle Group per Week (According to Dr. Mike Isratel).
And even with the Speciliazation Phases, it COULD barely be enough Volume. The Mega Workouts in the Program could solve this Problem. But i would start with Strength and Density (if you are an absolute Beginner) or with the Speciliazation Phases first (if you have some Lifting Experience).

For Weighted Ab Exercises i would look into following Exercises:
-Weighted Sit-Ups with a Plate,
-Weighted V-Ups,
-L-Sit Flutters (although not Weighted, it is a good an underrated Abs Exercise)
-Weighted Crunch (on a Cable Machine)
-Weighted Leg Raise (on a Pull Up Bar)

Im going to give jogging a rest due to foot and knee pain and will start doing weights all i have is 60lbs in total to work with can you guys tell me how long i should lift for and how many sets of each also im wondering how can o get abs with weights please help

It seems like, you have only a Pair of Dumbbels is that correct?!.
Or do you have access to a Gym or Home Gym via a Friend of some sort?!.

David90

Also if someone has Problems with Limited Equipment (Home-Training due to Lockdown and GYM's Closing in your Country) then you can surely do a good chunk of Exercises. It Depends on your Level of Equipment and your Level of Creativity.

(Remember that for some Home Exercises, there is certain Equipment needed)
Here is a List of Good Home Exercises.:

Chest:
-Dumbbell Floor Press

-Close Grip Floor Press

-Dumbbell/Barbell Flat Bench Press (a Bench is needed for That)

-Dumbbell/Barbell Incline Bench Press (a Bench is needed for That)

-Dumbbell UCV Raise
(Shoutout to Athlean-X)

-Banded Chest Fly

Back:
-Banded Lat Pulldown

-Banded Straight Arm Pulldown

-Banded (One-Arm or Two Arm-) Rows

-Incline Dumbbell Row (Two Dumbells and a Adjustable Bench are needed for that)

-Dumbell Seal Row
(Tip: If You don't have a Bench, you can also put your head against a counter in your Appartment/House and do them that way, it should still work)

-Seated Cable Row Variation with Dumbbells (As shown at 2:02 in this Video ( )

Legs:
-Dumbbell Squats

-Banded Squats

-Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats

-Standing Hip Abduction with Plates

-Dumbell (Courtesy-)Lunges

-Dumbbell/Barbell Hip Thrust (a Bench is also needed for that)

-Lying Dumbbell Glute Bridge

-Dumbell/Barbell Stiff Legged Deadlifts

-Dumbbell/Barbell Romanian Deadlifts

-Banded Good Mornings

Biceps:

-Dumbbell Waiter Curl (Shoutout to Athlean-X)

-Dumbbell / Barbell Curl

-Banded Curl

-Dumbell / Barbell Hammer Curl

-Dumbbell Incline Hammer Curl (A Adjustable Bench is needed for that)

Triceps:

-Lying Dumbbell/Barbell Skull Crusher

-Incline Dumbbell Skull Crusher (a Bench is needed for that)

-Banded Triceps Pushdown

-Close Grip Floor Press

-Dumbbell Triceps Overhead Extension

Shoulders:

-Dumbell/Barbell Shoulder Press

-Dumbbell Arnold Press

-Dumbbell Lateral Raise

-Dumbbell Upright Row

-Upright Row with Bands

-Dumbbell High Pull (Shoutout to Athlean-x)

Abs:

-Standing/Kneeling Banded Crunch

-Weighted Sit Ups with a Plate

-Weighted Leg Raise (Captains Chair or Dip Station will be needed for that)

-Weighted Russian Twists (done with a Dumbbell or a Plate)​

It's not much, but it should help, getting most People over the Lockdown Time and putting a good workout together. Maybe it helps somebody :):

Sefton10

The ONLY Two Problems i see with this, is the Volume of the Sets and a missing (Weighted-) Abs Exercise.
Because the ''Strength and Density Workout'' could be WAY to less Volume.
Also Most of the Guys want Abs and i (personally) think, only Training them once or twice per Week, won't be enough. I would personally add at least one (Weighted-)Exercise for Abs (3 Sets) at the End of EVERY Workout.
A big miss in the programme is some form of squat. Nothing builds full body hypertrophy as well or hits the abs better. Doesn't need to be heavy either, a couple of sets of goblet squats in good form would round that programme out well and negate the need for ab specific work.

milkboi

A big miss in the programme is some form of squat. Nothing builds full body hypertrophy as well or hits the abs better. Doesn't need to be heavy either, a couple of sets of goblet squats in good form would round that programme out well and negate the need for ab specific work.
I think squats activating the abs really well is a myth. Isolation exercises are superior for that purpose. Nothing wrong with squatting tho of course.

Ben.

I think squats activating the abs really well is a myth. Isolation exercises are superior for that purpose. Nothing wrong with squatting tho of course.

I want to add that activating abs in various xcercises depends alot on the individual. There are people doing squats with a lack of glute activation for example, especially obvious when one sees how far they go down while loaded and how strong/stable they are on the lower end of the movement. There also should be some core/ab activation to be stable while going down on the squat.

A professional trainer/physotheraphist can easily tell wether or not someone needs more ab/core strength when assesing a client doing a variety of excercises. I agree tho that the squat on its own is not something i would call a good ab workout. Incoorperating 1-2 functional core ecercises should work well for most people.

Sometimes the abs do work or do not depending on fascial/muscular restrictions, strength in general, how habitual the excercise is executed (is the person actively focusing/activating certain muscles? How well did he learn the motion of the excercise?) etc.

Sefton10

I agree tho that the squat on its own is not something i would call a good ab workout.
Back squats no, I agree. Goblet squat or any form of front squat really, different ball game if done properly. They hit the core much harder due to the more upright position.

David90

Sorry, for the Late Anwser. I got many Things to do the last couple of Weeks.

True. Although the Greek God Programm is pretty good, it still misses some sort of Squat and Deadlift (which is think it has in Workout B, at least it had 3 Sets of Squat or Deadlift in it).

In terms of Specific Ab Work i beg to differ. The Problem is, the Abs are getting trained INDIRECTLY via a Squat or Deadlift. Which is still good. But if you want to develop them, then direct Ab Work is needed. Because it is (after all) still a Muscle Group. It doesn't have to be much either. 2-3 Sets for around 15-20 Reps of a Weighted Ab Exercise can be enough to develop them over Time.

I Personally do around 9-12 Sets of Direct Ab Work per Week for a Few Years now. And mine began to show after a few Months after i started that (and with low enough Bodyfat, around 9-12% or so). Some Good Exercises would be Russian Twists (Weighted or Unweighted), Weighted Sit Ups, Weighted Psycho Crunch or Standing / Kneeling Cable Crunch.

I also think, having stronger Abs can make you better at Compound Movements especially Overhead Press, Squats and Deadlift.

Nothing beats the Good old Squat. But i think Squatting or Deadlifting is not needed to achieve a good Physique after all.
Of Course if someone can do these Exercises good and Safely then go for it. But they are not needed. It's like with the Back Muscles. You do not have to deadlift to have a Great Back. If someone can do Plenty of Rows (Incline Dumbell Rows, Barbell Bent Over Row, Cable Row) and some Pull Ups, they can have some Great Back Muscles. There is always a way.....

I want to add that activating abs in various xcercises depends alot on the individual. There are people doing squats with a lack of glute activation for example, especially obvious when one sees how far they go down while loaded and how strong/stable they are on the lower end of the movement. There also should be some core/ab activation to be stable while going down on the squat.

A professional trainer/physotheraphist can easily tell wether or not someone needs more ab/core strength when assesing a client doing a variety of excercises. I agree tho that the squat on its own is not something i would call a good ab workout. Incoorperating 1-2 functional core ecercises should work well for most people.

Sometimes the abs do work or do not depending on fascial/muscular restrictions, strength in general, how habitual the excercise is executed (is the person actively focusing/activating certain muscles? How well did he learn the motion of the excercise?) etc.

Same here. When i do Barbell Squats i rarely feel the Glutes. Mostly Quads.
But if i do Dumbbell/Barbell Hip Thrust's and Standing Plate Hip Abductions.....boy do i feel them Working :D

Back squats no, I agree. Goblet squat or any form of front squat really, different ball game if done properly. They hit the core much harder due to the more upright position.
Agreed, also Kettlebell Swings seems to be good for that. I have done them a few Years ago and also felt the Core Working.

Inaut

Hey. I have a friend that was blessed with a pretty flat butt... she has some back problems but wants to train her glutes to get more of a booty. Is there any specific exercises she can do that will allow her to grow her muscles without sacrificing her back? I think she has problems with core and glute activation and week hip flexors from years of high level dance.. I know hip thrusts are probably a good exercise but may not be ideal for her back @Hans or anybody else care to chime in?

here’s her issues:
“My ribs apparently have a hump that’s common with scoliosis... I also have a tipping scapula and lower cross syndrome that’s opposite from like everyone in da world.”

Last edited:

David90

Hey. I have a friend that was blessed with a pretty flat butt... she has some back problems but wants to train her glutes to get more of a booty. Is there any specific exercises she can do that will allow her to grow her muscles without sacrificing her back? I think she has problems with core and glute activation and weak hip flexors from years of high level dance.. I know hip thrusts are probably a good exercise but may not be ideal for her back @Hans or anybody else care to chime in?

here’s her issues:
“My ribs apparently have a hump that’s common with scoliosis... I also have a tipping scapula and lower cross syndrome that’s opposite from like everyone in da world.”

Good Exercises in General to train the Glutes would be:

-Dumbell / Barbell Hip Thrusts
- Dumbell / Barbell Glute Bridge
- Dumbell Courtesy Lunge
- Standing Plate Hip Abduction or Hip Abduction Machine
-Lateral Band Walks
- Cable Pull Through
-Extra Range Side Lying Hip Abduction
-Back Extensions
-Frog Pumps
-Side Lying Hip Raises
-Romanian Deadlift
-Sumo Deadlift
-Bulgarian Split Squat

This should help, bringing a little more Flexibility and variety to the Workouts.
Best bet would be in her Case to do plenty of Hip Thrusts and/or Glute Bridges (if she safely can). Also i would incorporate Plenty of Standing Plate Hip Abduction or the Hip Abduction Machine. Because it trains the often neglected Gluteus Medius and the Upper Portion of the Glutes and will surely contribute to a nice looking Booty, especially from the Side and Rear View.

I also think that Athlean-X talked about that in the Past. As he thinks, Low Back Pain has something to do with Underdeveloped Glutes or Weak Gluteus Maximus. He said ''The reason is simple, when your glutes are weak your lumbar extensors are being asked to perform too much of a job that they should be sharing responsibilities with the glutes for. This leads to an overactivation of the lower back muscles and an eventual breakdown and injury.''

I Personally done (before GYM Closing due to Lockdown) Barbell Glute Bridges at least 2x per Week for around 3-5 Sets of 6-20 Reps (Depends on Working Weight). Best Maximal Weight was around 396 Pounds/180 KG for 6 Reps. And The Glutes really began to show at around 120 KG Working Weight. So there is something to the Hip Thrust / Glute Bridge.

Also she will need a slight Caloric Surplus to Build Muscle and Glutes in general. around +100-300kcal in a surplus should be Enough. And Sets for the Glutes should be around 4-12 Sets per Week to build them. Since they are easily Maintained by getting trained Indirectly (via Squat, Rows, Deadlift and so forth). But to build them, she will surely need around 4-12 Sets per Week for Glutes.

She can do it like this:

Monday: 5 Sets of Hip Thrust / Glute Bridges x 6-20 Reps
Wednesday: 4 Sets of Standing Plate Hip Abduction x 15-30 Reps
Friday: 3 Sets of Courtesy Lunge / Cable Pull Through x 8-10 Reps​

Easy as that.