Can anyone guide me to the overall best threads to help me understand the gist of ray peat

Lilac

...get an overall understanding of pufas and overall health in general.

Ray has a few articles on fats on his website. I just took another look at this one, and I think it is one of his more easily understood pieces:

"The cheapness of the seed oils led to their use in animal feeds, to promote growth. By the 1940s, the polyunsaturated oils, including fish oils, were known to cause deterioration of the brain, muscles, and gonads in a variety of animals, and this was found to be caused mainly by their destruction of vitamin E. A little later, the disease called steatitis or yellow fat disease was found to be produced in various animals that were fed too much fish or fish oil.

"The reason linseed oil and fish oil were used for making varnishes and paints was that they are "drying oils," reacting with oxygen to polymerize and harden. The physical and chemical propertiess of the oils are fairly well understood, and among the polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) the omega -3 fatty acids react most easily with oxygen. Heat, light, and moisture increase their spontaneous interactions with oxygen, and besides polymerizing, these oils produce a variety of reactive particles, including acrolein, which combine with other substances, such as cellular proteins and DNA, with highly toxic effects. At low temperatures and low oxygen concentrations these oils are not highly reactive. Fats that harden at low temperatures (as saturated fats do) wouldn't be convenient for organisms that live in a cool environment, and so organisms regulate the type of fat they synthesize according to the temperature of their tissues. The fact that certain types of polyunsaturated fatty acids function nicely in fish, worms, and insects, doesn't mean that they are ideal fats for mammals.

"The fact that vitamin E prevented or cured some of the major diseases in farm animals caused by excessive PUFA, and that it could retard the development of rancidity in stored oils, led quickly to the persistent belief that lipid peroxidation is the only toxic effect of the vegetable oils. However, the oils were being seen to cause other problems, including accelerated aging and obesity, but those problems weren't of interest to farmers, who wanted to sell plump young animals as cheaply and quickly as possible. Even fresh oils have toxic effects, and the oxidative damage they do is often the consequence of these other toxic actions.

"Another cheap food additive, coconut oil, was found to increase feed consumption while slowing weight gain, so it wasn't popular in the meat industry. The highly unsaturated seed oils had the opposite effect, of producing a rapid fattening of the animal, while decreasing feed consumption, so by 1950 corn and soybeans were widely considered to be optimal feeds for maximizing profits in the production of meat animals. It was at this time that the industry found that it could market the liquid oils directly to consumers, as health-promoting foods, without bothering to turn them into solid shortening or margarine. Somehow, few physiologists continued to think about the implications of metabolic slowing, obesity, and the related degenerative diseases."

Matt C

This forum is pretty good but you have to take some people's posts with a grain of salt. A lot of users on here seem to have strange reactions to things and then jump to conclusions on food/substances because of their personal reaction. Or they'll outright MEGAdose something which negatively affects them and they wonder why. Then you'll have people that parrot things that are so contrary to many beliefs it makes me doubt coming on here such as:

*Substantial amount of water is bad
*Exercise to exhaustion is the worst
*Eat as much sugar as you can
*You can't have too much coffee/caffeine
*Eat all the time even when you're not hungry and you're gaining fat
*100% elimination of PUFA is absolutely essential

Off course, these are the extremes but I've seen people subscribe to one or a few of the above dot points. Hell, I even saw a post saying meditation is a psychological stressor and nobody should do it. We're all trying to improve our health but some post give me the expression they're hypochondriacs and that we should avoid anything that might cause us the slightest amount of stress.
But then there are many that a very helpful and wise on here and I believe that's the majority. It's great to have a place that people can share experiences of lifestyle/diet choices.

I suggest Ray's articles, and if you're interested in a food or supplement, give it a search on here and see what the consensus is and try to discern between rational and irrational claims on here.

Rick K

I have a muscular Dystrophy and I'm looking for advice in improving my health and preventing any more atrophy of my muscles. Is there any forums that are helpful for newcomers who are trying to get an overall understanding of pufas and overall health in general.
Have you had any metal toxicity tests? I's my understanding that this is often overlooked in favor of gene malfeasance.

frannybananny

JamesGatz

Why is Doja Cat on RPF?

She should be in the studio making some decent music because her recent music has been HOT Garbage - also she needs to learn how to dance too because she moves like a DOOFY - Also she claims she has a big booty but she's delusional because all I see when she turns around are pancakes

Also tell Dua Lipa to join RPF cause I'm trying to slide in those DM's - I know she's looking for a man and she could do better than Jack Harlow

Why is Doja Cat on RPF?

She should be in the studio making some decent music because her recent music has been HOT Garbage - also she needs to learn how to dance too because she moves like a DOOFY - Also she claims she has a big booty but she's delusional because all I see when she turns around are pancakes

Also tell Dua Lipa to join RPF cause I'm trying to slide in those DM's - I know she's looking for a man and she could do better than Jack Harlow
Are you kidding me?! It isn’t her! She is using someone else’s pics just like you do.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals