Can anyone explain why I felt amazing after french fries and other crap?

mrchibbs

whats the secret to all the restaurant burgers? how is the meat so good compared to home cooked ground beef, even high fat

The crust. They smash the burgers on a hot cooking plate, and then scrape it off. Just use salt and pepper. Super easy.

Most home burgers are too thick and they don't have this golden brown crust.

Look up some videos on smashed burgers, Kenji Lopez has one I believe. It's really the key.

Dr. B

The crust. They smash the burgers on a hot cooking plate, and then scrape it off. Just use salt and pepper. Super easy.

Most home burgers are too thick and they don't have this golden brown crust.

Look up some videos on smashed burgers, Kenji Lopez has one I believe. It's really the key.
you mean the meat crust, like how restaurant burgers have those crispy almost fried looking edges?
salt and pepper why, to help scrape off the meat from the cooking plate?

like five guys burgers,
i think its 70/30 meat. but the taste is much different to home made.
does grass fed beef improve the flavor profile?
five guys isnt organic, and is corn fed beef too.

im curious if mcdonalds/burger king beef are actually a combination of different parts of the animal? like parts that people normally wouldnt want to eat like the eyeballs or spleen or penis or something, in which case meat of that kind would actually be more nutritious than your typical ground beef from the thigh or legs etc?
i heard hot dog meat in the past was made up of parts of the animal which didn't sell well on their own. like any organs, meat, gelatin etc people didnt want to eat

mrchibbs

It should be a fattier cut of ground beef for better taste. Salt & pepper is really just for the taste, and then you smash the burgers on a hot place with a burger press or whatever, let it stay there for a little while to develop a crust and scrape it off.

Toast the buns (you can make them yourself with sourdough), and then you can create the perfect fast food cheeseburger. Lots of videos on youtube it's really the key.

Dr. B

It should be a fattier cut of ground beef for better taste. Salt & pepper is really just for the taste, and then you smash the burgers on a hot place with a burger press or whatever, let it stay there for a little while to develop a crust and scrape it off.

Toast the buns (you can make them yourself with sourdough), and then you can create the perfect fast food cheeseburger. Lots of videos on youtube it's really the key.
purpose of smashing the burger is to just create a thinner patty?
, there has to be more, like how is the flavor created in burger patties like in n out and five guys, its not the seasoning, likely not the fat, and those patties are pretty thick but somehow very juicy... if you get even a 70/30 burger and cook it on a pan it ends up very dry and flavorless

mrchibbs

purpose of smashing the burger is to just create a thinner patty?
, there has to be more, like how is the flavor created in burger patties like in n out and five guys, its not the seasoning, likely not the fat, and those patties are pretty thick but somehow very juicy... if you get even a 70/30 burger and cook it on a pan it ends up very dry and flavorless

It's just to maximize crust to meat ratio.

Watch this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwgn5k_TzKM

mrchibbs

good stuff mate, whats the fat % on the meat?
i like avoiding meat day to day, but having a big burger once a week, and small amounts liver of course
not sure, I think 20%

PeskyPeater

I reckon the fries were baked in palm oil.. and the starch will break into glucose and together with salt, is good for oxidative metabolism and against stress hormones right? seems peaty peaty to me

mrchibbs

I reckon the fries were baked in palm oil.. and the starch will break into glucose and together with salt, is good for oxidative metabolism and against stress hormones right? seems peaty peaty to me

I would think it's quite rare for palm oil to be used as the frying oil, since it's more expensive than cheaper cooking oils.

As recently as the 1980s even McDonalds cooked their fries in beef tallow.

They blame sugar and fast food but really it's pretty clear it's 99% a matter of the PUFAs, kids in the 50s, 60s and 70s didn't get sick off that food.

Dr. B

I would think it's quite rare for palm oil to be used as the frying oil, since it's more expensive than cheaper cooking oils.

They blame sugar and fast food but really it's pretty clear it's 99% a matter of the PUFAs, kids in the 50s, 60s and 70s didn't get sick off that food.
that buffalo wild wings place apparently uses beef tallow for frying their fries and fried chicken

but they both taste horrible. theres no improvement in the taste, actually the chicken and fries are some of the worst ive had, so maybe its related to the seasonings or cooking method involved but i didnt think their fries were good. now, mcdonalds/burger king fries also arent very good... but as far as fried chicken the popeyes, BK, MCds are better than BWW

do you think it would also be water fluoridation, salt iodization, and enriched wheat flour thats responsible? Ray cited like 70 studies or links of the issues with iodine and salt iodization when I asked him once

i dont know when the water fluoridation and salt iodization things started

dont the PUFA oils contain lots of vitamin E, or does cooking get rid of the vitamin E

Dr. B

Does anyone ask the fastfood shop in your area what oils they use ??
seems to be bad oils like corn, cottonseed, soybean...
i think canola oil may be the safest of the pufa oils, isnt it mostly MUFA
sunflower may also be safer, but fast food places dont seem to use these

Dr. B

theres some sort of campaign against palm oil too
like some environmentalist groups say it should be stopped because it destroys the habitat of orangutans or something like that
i dont think palm oil is used in anything, besides some snack products i think oreos sometimes have it, and the justins peanut /almond butters have it, it seems to be used in some products due to its preservative properties...

Inabruzzo

Forum Supporter
I had the most amazing sleep last night and feel great today. Much higher quality sleep than normal. Had good dreams and woke feeling amazing.

Instead of one mild cheat meal per week I had an absolute binge day like I haven't done since finding RP.

All day Mexican restaurants corn beans etc, then my final meal before bed was the worst. Massive amount order of diner fries and cheeseburger with the bun and all.

I'm not anti peat I'm right back onto RP style eating today.

But why did that pufa gluten binge make me feel so good? Why did it cause such great sleep?

Idk why this post is labeled as Anti Peat. I did the same labor day weekend. Strange pizza, questionable non-authentic mexican food and fried seafood. I felt great until Monday. Them I was a spaceshot foggy a$$hole. A total crap mood (in dutch with the wife). I don’t drink so I know it was the garbage I ate all weekend. I know you received a lot of insightful answers to your question, but I couldn’t resist your awesome post title ???

Herbie

If you’re in the US, McDonald’s use hydrogenated oils. I read it on the McDonald’s website.

Dr. B

If you’re in the US, McDonald’s use hydrogenated oils. I read it on the McDonald’s website.
for what items? i think their chicken and fries just use regular soybean oil ? i dont remember seeing hydrogenated
is hydrogenated corn or soy oil safe?

opethfeldt

I think it just comes down to the pleasure factor of the food. Pleasure means more dopamine and more dopamine means less cortisol. I'm not surprised you slept better. They don't call it "comfort food" for nothing. Now, long term it will cause degradation, as you you well know. But in the short term, yeah. I'm sure it'll make anyone feel better.

Brandin

I had the most amazing sleep last night and feel great today. Much higher quality sleep than normal. Had good dreams and woke feeling amazing.

Instead of one mild cheat meal per week I had an absolute binge day like I haven't done since finding RP.

All day Mexican restaurants corn beans etc, then my final meal before bed was the worst. Massive amount order of diner fries and cheeseburger with the bun and all.

I'm not anti peat I'm right back onto RP style eating today.

But why did that pufa gluten binge make me feel so good? Why did it cause such great sleep?
The good explanation? = some mineral or vitamin ur deficient in was corrected. U might have had alot of crap in those food but if a deficiency of a mineral was corrected that can make a huge difference in the short term. If u kept eating out the storing of the pufa and all the other garbage in the food would catch up and ur health would greatly decline. Thats just my 2c