Can animal-breeders please share their experiences with me

JamesGatz

I am in an uncomfortable position where I lost employment due to refusing to bend the knee to covid rules/restrictions and all my employment credentials are based on these types of jobs - I have been doing computer work to make money but I do need to ensure that I never go poor/broke or have to resort to bending the knee to make a living the next time something like this happens (it will)

Is there anyone on this forum familiar with breeding animals that can share their experiences ? It is always something I have been willing to put the effort into doing - the only reason I have not done it is because I would feel bad giving an animal to a person for money if the person is not going to treat it well and feed it dogsh*t dog food or kibble because they think it's healthy - that is why if I do put the effort into breeding animals I will ensure the people I do business with know what I feed these animals as babies and have my own booklets on what to feed these animals that is actually good for them

If people can share their experiences that would be extremely helpful or if they have better ideas or more creative I could use to make money from home please DM me - I would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATIVE - It is something I would take extremely seriously and I do have a house with enough space and a backyard to accommodate for the animals - Thank You

Last edited:

L_C

I am in an uncomfortable position where I lost employment due to refusing to bend the knee to covid rules/restrictions and all my employment credentials are based on these types of jobs - I have been doing computer work to make money but I do need to ensure that I never go poor/broke or have to resort to bending the knee to make a living the next time something like this happens (it will)

Is there anyone on this forum familiar with breeding animals that can share their experiences ? It is always something I have been willing to put the effort into doing - the only reason I have not done it is because I would feel bad giving an animal to a person for money if the person is not going to treat it well and feed it dogsh*t dog food or kibble because they think it's healthy - that is why if I do put the effort into breeding animals I will ensure the people I do business with know what I feed these animals as babies and have my own booklets on what to feed these animals that is actually good for them

If people can share their experiences that would be extremely helpful or if they have better ideas or more creative I could use to make money from home please DM me - I would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATIVE - It is something I would take extremely seriously and I do have a house with enough space and a backyard to accommodate for the animals - Thank You
Hm, so why don't you have a farm, raise animals yourself and then butcher them yourself and sell meat. My family has been doing that.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Hm, so why don't you have a farm, raise animals yourself and then butcher them yourself and sell meat. My family has been doing that.
I don't have the heart to injure/kill an animal - I suppose doing it enough times would desensitize the person to it but I would really want to choose something to do that doesn't directly harm an animal or person

L_C

I don't have the heart to injure/kill an animal - I suppose doing it enough times would desensitize the person to it but I would really want to choose something to do that doesn't directly harm an animal or person
I hear you. My Mom doesn't have a heart to do it either but she always finds somebody to do it for her.

blob69

Why don't you buy a cow, buffalo, sheep etc. and just milk them? I think this is way better than raising them for meat - milk is healthier anyhow :): And of course you could be raising chicken for eggs too.

blob69

As far as breeding cats or dogs, I have thought about it too and I think the biggest obstacle in my case would be to bend to regulations that demand you vaccinate, deworm, sterilize etc. I think I would go for an illegal "operation" and sell the animals via small ads. There is a huge demand for cats that are not from a shelter here (EU).

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Why don't you buy a cow, buffalo, sheep etc. and just milk them? I think this is way better than raising them for meat - milk is healthier anyhow :): And of course you could be raising chicken for eggs too.
This is a great idea - unfortunately I do not have enough space for animals as big as this - maybe in the future ... I do have to become self-reliant since GATES is taking over the food supply via farming

As far as breeding cats or dogs, I have thought about it too and I think the biggest obstacle in my case would be to bend to regulations that demand you vaccinate, deworm, sterilize etc. I think I would go for an illegal "operation" and sell the animals via small ads. There is a huge demand for cats that are not from a shelter here (EU).
Yes - I was looking into possibly breeding hypoallergenic dogs and/or cats - my mother's employer paid almost $5,000 for her hypoallergenic dog - it's an interesting dog - I get absolutely no allergenic symptoms playing with her - I feel like this niche is good for me to start ... I think I may pursue this route

LucyL

Breeding animals can be difficult (we ran a Siamese cattery for years, and bred some Rhodesian Ridgebacks), birth defects in purebred animals are real, and you sometimes have to deal with them, at birth. Not fun. And show animal breeders are nazis. The other downside is that you eventually have to sell, which means strangers, a lot of them, in your house and all up in your business. I'm not a people person, so I really hated that part. I always thought if I ever had property, and got back into breeding, I would get a small mobile home to serve as the kennel/cattery whatever, and only let buyers into that separate facility.

Then, there are state laws, as mentioned above. Most hobby breeders skate around or under these, often because they feel themselves morally superior to the commercial breeders the laws were intended to regulate. Which brings up the nazi part again. You have to decide on what criteria are you breeding? Are you going to be a show breeder, then you have to buy into whatever is popular amongst the breed eugenics of the day, and find an established breeder who will "mentor" you (with terrible contracts and restriction) and let you have some animals that may get you started and let you win some in the ring.

Show breeders (Barbie breeders we used to call them) are the worst people. Smug self righteousness is off the charts There are exceptions.

If you're not going to show, then you are all ready a backyard breeder, and any public presence will be targeted and demonized by the show breeders. If you decide you really just going to breed the pets with the best temperaments (a worthwhile goal I think, and i often though about creating my own dog hybrid with all the best pet characteristics) then you have balls of steel or friends in the commercial industry.

It may be difficult to get a good foundational pair, genetic issues are extremely common among purebreds, and show breeders won't give a newbie their best stuff. And, if you move in the show circles at all, you will be expected to test for a myriad of "genetic" diseases.

"Working" breeds are a different world from show breeders, and I don't know quite as much about that world. Except beware of people who think they can do both.

If by this point you are still interested, and you want to read up on breeding, I recommend old books. Anything written before 1980.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Breeding animals can be difficult (we ran a Siamese cattery for years, and bred some Rhodesian Ridgebacks), birth defects in purebred animals are real, and you sometimes have to deal with them, at birth. Not fun. And show animal breeders are nazis. The other downside is that you eventually have to sell, which means strangers, a lot of them, in your house and all up in your business. I'm not a people person, so I really hated that part. I always thought if I ever had property, and got back into breeding, I would get a small mobile home to serve as the kennel/cattery whatever, and only let buyers into that separate facility.

If you're not going to show, then you are all ready a backyard breeder, and any public presence will be targeted and demonized by the show breeders. If you decide you really just going to breed the pets with the best temperaments (a worthwhile goal I think, and i often though about creating my own dog hybrid with all the best pet characteristics) then you have balls of steel or friends in the commercial industry.

If by this point you are still interested, and you want to read up on breeding, I recommend old books. Anything written before 1980.
This is extremely helpful -

Did you raise your animals on a Peat-inspired diet and did you find that birth defects were much less common in this case ?

My dog thrives in a Peat-inspired diet and she is the healthiest she's ever been

LucyL

This is extremely helpful -

Did you raise your animals on a Peat-inspired diet and did you find that birth defects were much less common in this case ?

My dog thrives in a Peat-inspired diet and she is the healthiest she's ever been
No. I fed raw - Billinghurst & equivalent for cats, but not all the time. I think it would make a difference to feed Peaty, but it might take a generation or two to see the real effects.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

No. I fed raw - Billinghurst & equivalent for cats, but not all the time. I think it would make a difference to feed Peaty, but it might take a generation or two to see the real effects.
Interesting- do you have any experience raising hypoallergenic dogs ? I find them fascinating and they seem to go for a lot of money as well - I wonder why they aren't as popular in the states as it wouldn't seem too hard to find 2 hypoallergenic parents to make some more

Regina

You might be able able to find some kindred spirits here:

LucyL

Interesting- do you have any experience raising hypoallergenic dogs ? I find them fascinating and they seem to go for a lot of money as well - I wonder why they aren't as popular in the states as it wouldn't seem too hard to find 2 hypoallergenic parents to make some more
No. Siamese cats, not having an undercoat, are more tolerable to some people with allergies, but as far as breeding for that, its an inherent trait in pure Siamese.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

No. Siamese cats, not having an undercoat, are more tolerable to some people with allergies, but as far as breeding for that, its an inherent trait in pure Siamese.
Ok and do you remember how much money you made ? I would probably be ok with 25-30k my first year - I would rather focus on producing high-quality dogs from a high-quality diet and time spent outside - I want to aim for no deceased puppies in the litter and looking healthy in general - I would really not want to have to get rid of one for being born unhealthy I imagine that would be very sad

I'm looking into breeding Bichon Frise - they look like teddy bears in person or maybe some Yorkies as they tend to be popular - both small and hypoallergenic - which means less money i spend on food and such. If I made 4 high-quality litters per year i think i can aim for 20k profit hopefully since I do not plan on taking them to see the vet at all

My mom tells me its difficult to sell dogs in the winter and fall - I suppose this is true for just about anything i think il be able to do it well still luckily i live in a large city

Last edited:

LucyL

Ok and do you remember how much money you made ? I would probably be ok with 25-30k my first year - I would rather focus on producing high-quality dogs from a high-quality diet and time spent outside - I want to aim for no deceased puppies in the litter and looking healthy in general - I would really not want to have to get rid of one for being born unhealthy I imagine that would be very sad

I'm looking into breeding Bichon Frise - they look like teddy bears in person or maybe some Yorkies as they tend to be popular - both small and hypoallergenic - which means less money i spend on food and such. If I made 4 high-quality litters per year i think i can aim for 20k profit hopefully since I do not plan on taking them to see the vet at all

My mom tells me its difficult to sell dogs in the winter and fall - I suppose this is true for just about anything i think il be able to do it well still luckily i live in a large city
oh boy. Maybe we were really bad it, or maybe it's true that dollar for pound cats are the most expensive animals on the planet. Most years we wrote our net losses off on our taxes.

Dogs were a bit better, fewer vet visits, generally healthier. So look at the going price for the breed your interested in, and try to find out the litter size. That's all your profit. Big dogs, like our Ridgebacks, have 7-8 pups per litter, but we usually only had one litter a year, so then you have to subtract all the food and with puppies, supplies. If you go the show route, show expenses are phenomenal. With Bichon Frise, I think grooming is going to be an issue too? Think about how big your kennel will be, 1 male, 2 females, would get you maybe 4 litters a year (dogs usually don't cycle more than twice a year) and since their small, maybe 3-4 pups per litter. I don't know what they sell for, maybe $1500 apiece? It's pretty easy to calculate your max income, estimating the expenses will be more difficult. Profit is the delta.

Probably the most important thing is to get a feel for how easily they birth naturally. Some of those small breed like apple headed Chihuahuas, they just automatically c-section. One stuck puppy can be very costly.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

oh boy. Maybe we were really bad it, or maybe it's true that dollar for pound cats are the most expensive animals on the planet. Most years we wrote our net losses off on our taxes.

Dogs were a bit better, fewer vet visits, generally healthier. So look at the going price for the breed your interested in, and try to find out the litter size. That's all your profit. Big dogs, like our Ridgebacks, have 7-8 pups per litter, but we usually only had one litter a year, so then you have to subtract all the food and with puppies, supplies. If you go the show route, show expenses are phenomenal. With Bichon Frise, I think grooming is going to be an issue too? Think about how big your kennel will be, 1 male, 2 females, would get you maybe 4 litters a year (dogs usually don't cycle more than twice a year) and since their small, maybe 3-4 pups per litter. I don't know what they sell for, maybe $1500 apiece? It's pretty easy to calculate your max income, estimating the expenses will be more difficult. Profit is the delta.

Probably the most important thing is to get a feel for how easily they birth naturally. Some of those small breed like apple headed Chihuahuas, they just automatically c-section. One stuck puppy can be very costly.
Well this is very valuable information to know - I had not thought of the c-section part for smaller dogs ...

The other thing I thought about is if I buy one male and a bunch of females I think maybe the females may get jealous and fight with one another - this is why I want to get them peating to lower their serotonin and other stress hormones so they are laid back and friendly as possible

this is very useful to know. I do think I am going to go ahead with this - I have been giving my dog a healthy metabolic diet/lifestyle and more recently a little bit of haidut's supplements and she's looking very healthy - healthier by the day - stronger and her bones and face are looking a lot better and very strong

I am really interested in seeing if a high metabolic rate in dogs that I raise results in much fewer birth complications, birth defects, and overall attractiveness the dog is born with - it is a very interesting experiment I would like to conduct

LucyL

Well this is very valuable information to know - I had not thought of the c-section part for smaller dogs ...

The other thing I thought about is if I buy one male and a bunch of females I think maybe the females may get jealous and fight with one another - this is why I want to get them peating to lower their serotonin and other stress hormones so they are laid back and friendly as possible

this is very useful to know. I do think I am going to go ahead with this - I have been giving my dog a healthy metabolic diet/lifestyle and more recently a little bit of haidut's supplements and she's looking very healthy - healthier by the day - stronger and her bones and face are looking a lot better and very strong

I am really interested in seeing if a high metabolic rate in dogs that I raise results in much fewer birth complications, birth defects, and overall attractiveness the dog is born with - it is a very interesting experiment I would like to conduct
Good luck! FWIW, I loved breeding, despite the negatives, if you really love working with animals and have that drive to see them be the best you can help them be, its definitely worth a shot. As I mentioned before, search out some older books on breeding, Chest of Books has some great old ones for free, also in the 50's - 70's people wrote books about breeding for profit. I can't find my references for those right now, but they're out there.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Oh, another thing, with multiple dogs could be helpful to think about pack/pack leader etc. This is a website I've found very helpful in that regard - Understanding Dog Behavior Articles
yes I like this very much - My dogs know I am the boss haha they know I'm the key to serving their hot, fresh meals - I was wondering:

Have you ever had a situation where you were unable to sell fast enough ? No right ? I imagine you set a price when the pup is born and then if no one buys you drop the price every week and eventually someone buys right ? This is why I like the business - it seems like marketing doesn't need too much work because pets sell themselves