Can an Apple reduce glycemic Peak of Rice so much?

Trullo

Apple Preload Halved the Postprandial Glycaemic Response of Rice Meal in Healthy Subjects​

Abstract​

This study aimed to investigate the possible glycemic effect of apple preload on acute postprandial glycemic responses (GRs) of a following rice meal, comparing with its co-ingestion counterpart and an apple sugar solution preload, based on equal carbohydrates intake. In a randomized crossover trial, 18 healthy female subjects consumed (1) rice, (2) co-ingestion of apple and rice (A+R), (3) apple preload and rice (PA+R), and (4) rice with sugar solution preload (same sugar profile as in apple) (PSS+R). Acute postprandial GR tests and subjective satiety tests were carried out for each test food. Compared with rice reference, the PA+R achieved a 50% reduction of the iAUC0-120, a 51.4% reduction of the average peak value, and a 52.6% reduction of glycemic excursion in 240 min, while the PSS+R showed 29.7% and 31.6% reduction of peak value and glycemic excursion, respectively. No significant differences were found between R and PA+R in any of the satiety characteristics. Compared with rice control, apple preload of 15 g available carbohydrates remarkably lowered the acute postprandial GR without negative effect on satiety. The sugar component may partly contribute to the glycemic suppressing effect of the apple preload.

cats

There are other studies also showing fructose lowering glycemic response as well as increasing liver and muscle glycogen storage.

OP
T

Trullo

Can you show me please? I'm so curious because in the study I reported even a sugar solution fructose/glucose reduce peak of 30%.

It looks that a small amount of fructose and glucose with fiber reduce the peak.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom