Can adolescents take levothyroxine?

I'm 18 years old, and very sick atm. I have many problems, with hypothyroidism being one of them, my TSH was 6.5 last tested (sorry if people don't like using TSH to determine thyroid but my brain fog is very bad atm). So far I've started a ray-peat inspired diet, take niacinamide, aspirin, coconut oil, do red lights. I've also just started on levothyroxine, 50mcg, I just wanted to ask if this is safe and won't damage my thyroid gland in the long term due to my age. Thanks very much in advance

eeeeeeeeeeee

How was your lifestyle throughout your teens and how long have you been Peating? 6.5 is crazy high for your age and there are hopefully things you can address before using drugs.

A quart of unpasteurized (fresh) OJ per day helped me get my metabolism back after massive weight loss.

MitchMitchell

T4 is trash. NDT or T3 are superior. YouTube Neal Rouzier or read more peat on the whys and how’s to treat hypothyroidism

side question how’s your hair? Skin? Joints? Bowel movements? LDL? Blood sugar?

OP
deliciousfruit
How was your lifestyle throughout your teens and how long have you been Peating? 6.5 is crazy high for your age and there are hopefully things you can address before using drugs.

A quart of unpasteurized (fresh) OJ per day helped me get my metabolism back after massive weight loss.
I led a fairly active lifestyle, always tried to eat healthy (which now looking back wasn't particularly healthy). My dad is a vegan and unfortunately I followed suit for many years so basically was malnourished and got a huge amount of PUFAs in my diet. I only discovered Ray Peat recently. I fell very ill this year, and am basically disabled at this point. I've tried treating for lyme disease, andy cutler chelation, so many supplements etc. It was stupid of my to leave my thyroid untreated though, as I knew it had been slow for nearly a year now. I have always been slighlty "sick" I would say though, struggling with things like anxiety and depression, also never had any significant muscle mass on my body, even after going to the gym for 6 months straight a while back... I am on the underweight side, would be worse if I didn't have a high BFP.

I'm already basically doing every single thing Peat recommends, including the milk, orange juice, gelatin, coffee, etc etc etc everyday.

OP
deliciousfruit
T4 is trash. NDT or T3 are superior. YouTube Neal Rouzier or read more peat on the whys and how’s to treat hypothyroidism

side question how’s your hair? Skin? Joints? Bowel movements? LDL? Blood sugar?
My hair is thick and healthy looking, although some days a lot falls out when I run my hands through it. No signs of my hairline receding or anything though. Skin is good. I had very bad joints a few months ago, could barely walk and couldn't write, after treating myself with herbs for Lyme disease, that improved, but I don't think I ever actually had Lyme disease, the herbs just helped in other ways. I still struggle with nerve problems. I struggle with near constant diarrhea and nausea, hopefully the daily raw carrot and limiting starch in my diet will help. Blood sugar normal, cholesterol sometimes on the high side...

gaze

I led a fairly active lifestyle, always tried to eat healthy (which now looking back wasn't particularly healthy). My dad is a vegan and unfortunately I followed suit for many years so basically was malnourished and got a huge amount of PUFAs in my diet. I only discovered Ray Peat recently. I fell very ill this year, and am basically disabled at this point. I've tried treating for lyme disease, andy cutler chelation, so many supplements etc. It was stupid of my to leave my thyroid untreated though, as I knew it had been slow for nearly a year now. I have always been slighlty "sick" I would say though, struggling with things like anxiety and depression, also never had any significant muscle mass on my body, even after going to the gym for 6 months straight a while back... I am on the underweight side, would be worse if I didn't have a high BFP.

I'm already basically doing every single thing Peat recommends, including the milk, orange juice, gelatin, coffee, etc etc etc everyday.

for now I would focus on eating sufficient protein, relaxing, eat salt, and see how you feel in a few months. it takes some time to recover, but if after a while your tsh still hasn't moved then I would consider it. because your young and don't have many stored pufas, your body can rebound fairly normaly if it's provided with sufficient nutrition. take your temperature after each food and see how different foods effect you. have you took your temperature in the mornings?

OP
deliciousfruit
for now I would focus on eating sufficient protein, relaxing, eat salt, and see how you feel in a few months. it takes some time to recover, but if after a while your tsh still hasn't moved then I would consider it. because your young and don't have many stored pufas, your body can rebound fairly normaly if it's provided with sufficient nutrition. take your temperature after each food and see how different foods effect you. have you took your temperature in the mornings?
No I don't have a thermometer, can get one though... I know it seems counter-intuitive but I'm actually always very warm and intolerant to heat. I'm already on the levothyroxine, peat seems to think that it's ok on it's own if liver function is adequate, so I'm happy to be on it as long as there are no long term effects like taking adrenal steroids during adolescence would have

redsun

My hair is thick and healthy looking, although some days a lot falls out when I run my hands through it. No signs of my hairline receding or anything though. Skin is good. I had very bad joints a few months ago, could barely walk and couldn't write, after treating myself with herbs for Lyme disease, that improved, but I don't think I ever actually had Lyme disease, the herbs just helped in other ways. I still struggle with nerve problems. I struggle with near constant diarrhea and nausea, hopefully the daily raw carrot and limiting starch in my diet will help. Blood sugar normal, cholesterol sometimes on the high side...

Zinc will likely stop diarrhea so I would take zinc until it stops. You may even be low in it. If your hair is otherwise good besides occasional hair fall you need more calories, sugar and proteins. Its signal of stress and need for nutrition.

You are young, correct nutrition and just getting enough food should be more than enough for your TSH to improve.

OP
deliciousfruit
Zinc will likely stop diarrhea so I would take zinc until it stops. You may even be low in it. If your hair is otherwise good besides occasional hair fall you need more calories, sugar and proteins. Its signal of stress and need for nutrition.

You are young, correct nutrition and just getting enough food should be more than enough for your TSH to improve.
Yes, thanks, I've been taking zinc for months. I haven't eaten junk food in about a year, albiet I was on a low carb diet (which I now know isn't very good for you)including lots of raw pasture raised eggs and dairy. I haven't been malnourished in terms of vitamins and minerals and calories, just sugar I suppose. I'm just very very sick, and nothing seems to help. I have actually improved a little bit following peat's advice so far.

Katia

I'm 18 years old, and very sick atm. I have many problems, with hypothyroidism being one of them, my TSH was 6.5 last tested (sorry if people don't like using TSH to determine thyroid but my brain fog is very bad atm). So far I've started a ray-peat inspired diet, take niacinamide, aspirin, coconut oil, do red lights. I've also just started on levothyroxine, 50mcg, I just wanted to ask if this is safe and won't damage my thyroid gland in the long term due to my age. Thanks very much in advance
It's safe. I give my 16 year old daughter 75- 100 mcg a day. Lower a bit if you have headache or any other symptom.

redsun

Yes, thanks, I've been taking zinc for months. I haven't eaten junk food in about a year, albiet I was on a low carb diet (which I now know isn't very good for you)including lots of raw pasture raised eggs and dairy. I haven't been malnourished in terms of vitamins and minerals and calories, just sugar I suppose. I'm just very very sick, and nothing seems to help. I have actually improved a little bit following peat's advice so far.

You have been taking zinc for months and still have diarrhea? How much do you take? You can try a low dose B complex with all the Bs its helpful to combat the effects of stress and increase energy. I saw on the OP you got niacinamide, but its important to take the whole B complex.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Since you were a vegan for so long, it might be helpful to eat more meat especially organ meat such as liver and kidney to replenish micronutrients rapidly.

OP
deliciousfruit
Since you were a vegan for so long, it might be helpful to eat more meat especially organ meat such as liver and kidney to replenish micronutrients rapidly.
Yeah thanks, I was eating calf liver once a week for a few months, although I've stopped now due to the proposed anti-metabolic effects of vitamin A. I assume by being a vegan and eating crap like margarine that I would have a much higher pufa load than someone else my age, which might be related to the pathology of my illness. Big fan of your articles btw,