cjm

I'm taking the CamphoSal now, slowly, the taste of the phenyl salicylate is a little overwhelming. I'm reminded of the taste of sunscreen. I'm applying topically in my throat, it's tough not to swallow, but it's totally accidental ;)

Last edited:

mhm

Just ordered 2. Apparently I'm a bit slow, so I'm still unsure about how to use this. I understand you can put it in your rat's mouth (e.g. with a piece of sugar, like DCLOSE does) but does @haidut primarily recommend to put it on your rat's skin? If so, on which part of your rat's body? Thanks in advance to those patient enough to answer this prudent rat's question.

cjm

Just ordered 2. Apparently I'm a bit slow, so I'm still unsure about how to use this. I understand you can put it in your rat's mouth (e.g. with a piece of sugar, like DCLOSE does) but does @haidut primarily recommend to put it on your rat's skin? If so, on which part of your rat's body? Thanks in advance to those patient enough to answer this prudent rat's question.

I can't legally discuss oral use, as all products are released as external formulations only. For what it's worth, both ingredients and the ethanol used are food-grade materials.

the problem with regular aspirin (and its metabolite salicylic acid) is that it gets quickly metabolized and absorbed in the stomach before it has a chance to exert its anti-bacterial effects. It may have some effects in the upper portion of the small intestine but likely does not remain intact long enough to affect the colon. Cognizant of both the potential and limitations of regular aspirin, doctors as far as back as late 19th century came up with a modified version of salicylic acid. The molecule is rather simple and is just an ester of salicylic acid with phenol. The commonly used name of this chemical was Salol - i.e. a combination of (sal)icylic acid and phen(ol)...This simple esterification allows salicylic acid to survive more or less intact until it reaches the small intestine and colon where it is metabolized by the microbiome and broken down into phenol and salicylic acid. As it turns out, the phenol portion is at least as potent an antibacterial as salicylic acid and possibly even stronger.

Nigluva

Why would you order and plan to use something you do not even understand basics of? You are not obligated to buy and take nearly everything this company comes out with. why take anything unless you really need it? This whole rat thing is reminiscent of the SWIM on drug forums. It all comes across as silly and kind of strange because it is clear how these products are being used.

nwo2012

Why would you order and plan to use something you do not even understand basics of? You are not obligated to buy and take nearly everything this company comes out with. why take anything unless you really need it? This whole rat thing is reminiscent of the SWIM on drug forums. It all comes across as silly and kind of strange because it is clear how these products are being used.

Classic troll post.

Ive ordered a bottle and looking forward to combining with doxycycline which has been invaluable in improving digestion.

Wendy B

As many readers know, Peat has written extensively on the benefits of antibiotics and on keeping the GI tract as free of bacteria as possible. ...

CamphoSal is a liquid product containing a combination of camphoric acid and phenyl salicylate (Salol). Both of these ingredients were widely used clinically in the late 19th and early 20th century as intestinal antiseptics / disinfectants when antibiotics were not widely available and barely known. There is some evidence that both may have beneficial effect beyond modulating the intestinal microbiome (e.g. gonorrhea), however there is no recent research in that area, and as such no definitive statements can be made.

Serving size: 25 drops
Servings per container: about 30
Each serving contains the following ingredients:

Camphoric Acid, FG: 200mg
Salol (phenyl salicylate), FG: 100mg

Other ingredients: add product to shopping cart to see info

I am just about to start Xifaxin and neomycin doc has ordered for my sibo, but waiting insurance coverage. I understand I should get lauricidin/ or monolaurin for biofilm disrupter too...Would Campho Sal be fine and safe to take along with these things? I'm also taking T3 and T4, vitamins b1,2,3, cascara, and pregnenalone. Sometimes dessicated adrenal too. I have a rough time with any medications or supplements and was thinking to "get it all done" at once. Thanks!

Mauritio

Soren

Forum Supporter
I am curious as to why it would cause constipation. Could be an anti-serotonin effect? I know that when I took metergoline orally it gave me constipation when I took a high dose.

cjm

I am curious as to why it would cause constipation. Could be an anti-serotonin effect? I know that when I took metergoline orally it gave me constipation when I took a high dose.

Yeah, I'm curious about this, too. My thought was that the dying bacteria released endotoxin and that was causing the intestines to constrict. It must be a war zone in my gut right now, I'm on day 8 of my experiment. Is serotonin really needed for contractions? My appetite has been non-existent for 3 days now and I know food is a natural laxative so I'm not doing myself any favors.

Grapelander

That's a excellent find! Thanks for posting it. I was trying to get it from PubMed but the link kept saying "404 not found".
Anyways, I like how it says in the title "Possessing all the advatnages of salicyclic acid and salicylate of soda, while not causing any of their objectionable effects". Unfortunately, FDA prohibits me from making that statement even though it was probably a medical claim allowed by medical authorities at the time the treatise was released.
I recommend adding archive.org to your research; many scanned medical texts. Sometimes a pain with too many results - however the Salol came right up. And thank you for your wonderful products. Interesting that Ray's books are on the site; I had no way of checking with him to see if that is his intention.

dfspcc20

On day 6 of ~12 drops 2x/day.

Positives:
- Poop: was always regular before, 2-3x/day with no straining, but stool tended to be looser, flakier, occasionally leaving a faint film on top of the toilet water. After CamphoSal, noticeably more solid, well-formed, cleaner, "dryer" maybe. Likely due to reduced bacteria and serotonin. Can see how this might cause constipation for some.

- Frequent "full" feeling in descending/sigmoid colon is gone. Didn't consider this a big issue before, but now that it's gone, it's much more obvious.

- Left hip internal rotation: this hip always "stuck" at a certain point (doing something like shin boxes) compared to the right. This seems to have improved. Maybe related to the point above.

- Sleep: improved. less waking to pee.

Negatives:

- none, aside from taste.

Always had a suspicion of bacterial issues, particularly in colon, though symptoms were never severe or obvious. Experimenting with this seems to add weight to that.

Will continue to experiment. Don't have any reasons to stop now.

managing

On day 6 of ~12 drops 2x/day.

Positives:
- Poop: was always regular before, 2-3x/day with no straining, but stool tended to be looser, flakier, occasionally leaving a faint film on top of the toilet water. After CamphoSal, noticeably more solid, well-formed, cleaner, "dryer" maybe. Likely due to reduced bacteria and serotonin. Can see how this might cause constipation for some.

- Frequent "full" feeling in descending/sigmoid colon is gone. Didn't consider this a big issue before, but now that it's gone, it's much more obvious.

- Left hip internal rotation: this hip always "stuck" at a certain point (doing something like shin boxes) compared to the right. This seems to have improved. Maybe related to the point above.

- Sleep: improved. less waking to pee.

Negatives:

- none, aside from taste.

Always had a suspicion of bacterial issues, particularly in colon, though symptoms were never severe or obvious. Experimenting with this seems to add weight to that.

Will continue to experiment. Don't have any reasons to stop now.
Thanks for this feedback.

mogwog

I can definitely confirm the constipation side effect. I doubled my dosage to see if that would make the constipation worse, and it did. So I decided to up my magnesium to help movements along and that seems to help (8 sprays of magnesium chloride 30 minutes before meals).

The most noticeable change so far is the darkening of stools. Gas and bloating was decreased drastically the first couple of days but came back even stronger after the constipation. I'll continue with the single dose a day (before bed) regimen along with more regular magnesium supplementation to see if things improve.

I wonder if enemas could be performed with this. Thoughts @haidut ?

I have stopped because it was causing constipation. I remain taking 30mg or so of doxy or amoxycillin and that seems to be very helpful. I also use the cooked bamboo shoots and cooked chopped mushrooms. I also take cascara sagrada and magnesium these days. It's quite the battle. I'm also taking T3. I think too much dairy has caused my gut to slow down, but this supplement has not helped at all, to say the least.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals