Calorie Restriction In Peat Thinking [Life Extension]

What-a-Riot

Calorie restriction probably works by limiting certain amino acids and keeping stored PUFA low while still allowing absorption of vitamin e to keep that status legit. They would be the offhand peatish explanations.

T

tca300

I was just talking about this with Ray.

"I’ve occasionally mentioned that the typical calorie restricted diet increases the metabolic rate and decreases oxidative damage by reducing PUFA, cysteine, methionine, tryptophan, and iron, possibly some random toxins. In one of the big nurses studies, someone noticed that those who ate the most lived the longest, i.e., had the highest metabolic rate." - Ray

I think he believes that if you eat a typical diet high in harmful substances that caloric restriction is beneficial, but if you eat a diet thats low in anti-metabolic substances, eating more will help raise the metabolism even higher, extending lifespan. Thats just what I gather from it, I could be wrong.

ATP

I confused on the subject of calorie restriction, there are so many studies coming out now claiming it is a good thing. I know Ray is against fasting because of Thymus involution but I have heard Ray talk about Calorie restriction a positive way several times. For example in his article Regeneration and degeneration:
Types of inflammation change with aging
, He says "Regenerative healing also requires freedom from substances that inhibit the digestion of the debris. The great decline in proteolytic autophagy that occurs with aging (Del Roso, et al., 2003) can be reduced by inhibiting the release of fatty acids. This effect is additive to the antiaging effects of calorie restriction, suggesting that it is largely the decrease of dietary fats that makes calorie restriction effective".

Also in a video where Ray is speaking, someone asked him about caloric restriction and he said something along the lines that caloric restriction reduces the amount of damage to the mitochondria and energy producing systems so that the cells are metabolizing a higher rate. I was always under the assumption that eating less slowed down the metabolic rate?

So does that mean by restricting all dietary fats it mimics the positive effects of caloric restriction? Also by restricting calories/dietary fats it prevents mitochondria damage?