Calorie Restriction In Peat Thinking [Life Extension]

What-a-Riot

Calorie restriction probably works by limiting certain amino acids and keeping stored PUFA low while still allowing absorption of vitamin e to keep that status legit. They would be the offhand peatish explanations.

tca300

I was just talking about this with Ray.

"I’ve occasionally mentioned that the typical calorie restricted diet increases the metabolic rate and decreases oxidative damage by reducing PUFA, cysteine, methionine, tryptophan, and iron, possibly some random toxins. In one of the big nurses studies, someone noticed that those who ate the most lived the longest, i.e., had the highest metabolic rate." - Ray

I think he believes that if you eat a typical diet high in harmful substances that caloric restriction is beneficial, but if you eat a diet thats low in anti-metabolic substances, eating more will help raise the metabolism even higher, extending lifespan. Thats just what I gather from it, I could be wrong.

jayegray

I confused on the subject of calorie restriction, there are so many studies coming out now claiming it is a good thing. I know Ray is against fasting because of Thymus involution but I have heard Ray talk about Calorie restriction a positive way several times. For example in his article Regeneration and degeneration:
Types of inflammation change with aging
, He says "Regenerative healing also requires freedom from substances that inhibit the digestion of the debris. The great decline in proteolytic autophagy that occurs with aging (Del Roso, et al., 2003) can be reduced by inhibiting the release of fatty acids. This effect is additive to the antiaging effects of calorie restriction, suggesting that it is largely the decrease of dietary fats that makes calorie restriction effective".

Also in a video where Ray is speaking, someone asked him about caloric restriction and he said something along the lines that caloric restriction reduces the amount of damage to the mitochondria and energy producing systems so that the cells are metabolizing a higher rate. I was always under the assumption that eating less slowed down the metabolic rate?

So does that mean by restricting all dietary fats it mimics the positive effects of caloric restriction? Also by restricting calories/dietary fats it prevents mitochondria damage?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Aspirin/Salicylates are calorie restriction mimetics Aspirin 3
Kelj Abdominal Fat Is A Phase Folliwing The End Of Calorie Restriction Weight 235
gilbert90 Calorie Restriction, Fasting, Food Intolerance Ect Symptoms, Causes 2
P Effect Of Calorie Restriction And Refeeding On Skin Wound Healing In The Rat Articles & Scientific Studies 2
J Calorie restriction in rhesus monkeys favourable to DHEA Articles & Scientific Studies 1
J calorie restriction: increases DHEA?! Articles & Scientific Studies 2
P feeling much better on a very low calorie diet Diet 23
M How The Fluck Can I Get A High Calorie Diet On Ray Peat „guidelines“?and Ask For Help or Advice 33
S Easily Gaining/keeping Fat And Muscle On Calorie Restricted Diet? Metabolism 1
A Calorie-restricted Rats Live 50% Longer - What's Wrong With The Methodology? Metabolism 57
T Calorie Surplus + Working Out = Still Hard Time Putting On Lean Muscle? What Could Be Up? Weight 17
F Ray Peat’s 8000 Calorie Diet? Ask For Help or Advice 28
Cameron Best Personal High Calorie Health Diet Diet 30
N Calorie Requirement For Coffee Coffee 1
M Calorie Bombs Pls Ask For Help or Advice 50
T Effects Of A Peaty But Calorie Deficient Diet? Ask For Help or Advice 2
R Viewing High Calorie Food Activates Brain Rewards Areas Significantly More Than Low Calorie Foods Scientific Studies 4
I_am New Peater Here . I Am Transitioning From Low Carb/calorie Raw Vegan Meet & Greet 23
N Aerobic Respiration Vs Calorie Intake Miscellaneous Health Discussions 5
haidut Drinking Coke Freely Quadruples Calorie Intake WITHOUT Weight Gain Scientific Studies 97
I What Are Some High-calorie Peat Foods? To Gain Weight Macros & Micros 13
haidut Low Calorie, Low Carb Intake Lowers T3 And Increases RT3 Scientific Studies 2
haidut List of foods sorted by protein per calorie Protein 3
T Thyroid with calorie reduction? Natural Dessicated Thyroid 16
M Increased Calorie Burn Messtafarian 0
jaketthomas Calorie Intake Macros & Micros 24
C Water Restriction / How Much Liquids Do You Get? Water 19
H Hair Loss Restriction Or Even Starches? Hair & Nails 0
haidut PUFA Are Immunosuppressive, Fasting And Protein Restriction (possibly) Even More So Scientific Studies 0
ecstatichamster Salt Restriction Lowers Metabolic Rate And Increases Fat Articles & Scientific Studies 2
R Dietary Carbohydrate Restriction Improves Metabolic Syndrome Independent Of Weight Loss Scientific Studies 2
haidut (Brain) Cancer Is A Metabolic Disease, Can Be Treated By Glutamine Restriction Scientific Studies 6
R Nine Days Of Isocaloric Fructose Restriction Reduces Serum D-lactate Levels By 50% Scientific Studies 24
B Fat Gain After PUFA Restriction Weight 3
T Sarcosine Is Uniquely Modulated By Aging And Dietary Restriction In Rodents And Humans Scientific Studies 20
haidut Low-protein High-carb Diet Has The Same Benefits As Caloric Restriction Scientific Studies 75
A Dietary Methionine Restriction Improves Thyroid Function Scientific Studies 1
R I'm Done Looking For A Method To Lower Body Fat Without Caloric Restriction Health 224
T Effect Of Taurine And N-acetylcysteine On Methionine Restriction-mediated Adiposity Resistance Scientific Studies 12
S Dietary Restriction Reduces Gut Pathology In Aging Females Scientific Studies 2
P Effect of Two-Year Caloric Restriction on Bone Metabolism and Bone Mineral Density in Non-obese Youn Articles & Scientific Studies 2
michael94 Leptin and energy restriction induced adaptation inenergy expenditure Articles & Scientific Studies 0
Giraffe Dietary Protein During Caloric Restriction Articles & Scientific Studies 6
P Dietary methionine restriction increases fat oxidation in obese adults with metabolic syndrome. Articles & Scientific Studies 2
haidut Low Protein / High Carb Diet - Healthier Than Caloric Restriction Scientific Studies 43
haidut Dietary Glycine Supplementation Mimics Lifespan Extension By Dietary Methionine Restriction Scientific Studies 49
BingDing Salt Restriction Stimulates The Serotonergic System In Man Scientific Studies 11
B Orgasm Restriction For More Energy Sexuality 30
charlie Caloric Restriction Fails to Extend Primate Lifespan..... Articles & Scientific Studies 0
Mr Joe Homemade Peat-Friendly Whey Protein Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1