Calling Ray Peat Dr. Peat or How to Address Him

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I always wondered how to address Ray Peat in my emails to him. I usually just use Dr. Peat. However, I was listening to a radio show with him, I think it was Josh Rubins radio show with his wife. Anyways, Josh asked him what do we call you(or address you), do we call you Dr. Peat? And Ray Peat just giggled and said, I am not a doctor. :lol: Meanwhile, he still didn't answer how to address him. :confused

chris

Imagining Ray Peat giggling made me smile. I guess technically he is a doctor as he has a PhD but I know what he means. I have called him Mr Peat once but ever since then just stick to Dr Peat. I'm sure he isn't too bothered either way.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It honestly seems like not much bothers him. I often wonder if he is "enlightened" or "awakened" but thats a totally different thread.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OH and Chris, Josh Rubin did bring that up that he had a PhD and thats why maybe we should call him Dr.

chris

What do you mean enlightened or awakened? I want this new thread! :)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Enlightened, hmmmm, well, we are talking about it in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=668

Let's chat about it over there! :D

Birdie

I don't think ray is title conscious. It never hurts to give someone a title at least once in a while, though. On Politics and Science, he is always called Ray.

By the way,I found when visiting a dermatologist in Charlotte, that they have something known as patient dignity in the state of north carolina. She said that if she were to call me by my first name then I should call her by her first name.

nwo2012

I often call him 'Ray' in emails. I get the feeling he wouldn't like titles. But that's just me.

Birdie

nwo2012 said:
I often call him 'Ray' in emails. I get the feeling he wouldn't like titles. But that's just me.
Me too. It would feel odd from my end.

J.R.K

I always wondered how to address Ray Peat in my emails to him. I usually just use Dr. Peat. However, I was listening to a radio show with him, I think it was Josh Rubins radio show with his wife. Anyways, Josh asked him what do we call you(or address you), do we call you Dr. Peat? And Ray Peat just giggled and said, I am not a doctor. :lol: Meanwhile, he still didn't answer how to address him. :confused
I personally never felt comfortable calling him by his first name, simply because I just had so much deep respect for the knowledge he had, as well as how he would give you just enough information to help you out, but pique your interest to learn more on your own.
I always interpreted this as his method and belief in how educators should teach.