Call me Mamaherrera

mamaherrera

Ok, I feel like an abandoned soul on this website, I got into this way of eating after years of low fat, restricted fat, bad sleeping habits, and lots of stress. I"m 32. I have always had acne, even as a young girl, and high cholesterol and I did lots of running, tried to "eat right", no saturated fat, and no fat at all and thought I was doing it perfectly. Now at 32, I've had symptoms of hypothyroid (temps in the morning are 97.2/97.3) no raise in my cycle, so nonovulating, and have been told I have PCOS because my total testosterone is elevated, not free, and my progesterone is always low. I'm so desperate for help, but none of the doctors understand, and no I"m not on thyroid medicine, because my numbers supposedly are all good. TSH 1.19,T4 1.2, thyroid peroxidase 10,thyroglobin AB <20. I started this because I paid a nutritionalist to help me with my issues and she taught me some of the guidelines of this, but it's been hard to find her lately. Here's what I've been left with on my own to do. i eat liver once a week, shrimp./clams twice a week, just started progeserone (the first two days it raised my temps, today it didn't, don't know why) and I have upped my protein and use saturated fat. I can't stand coconut oil, but use ghee butter, pasteurized butter, and do the carrot daily. It's been three months on the diet, and now I"ve started getting acne around my mouth again (don' t know why), maybe the dairy (don't know if the cottage cheese or the milk, but I hope I can handle cheese) . I don't know if it's thyroid or lack or progesterone that's causing my high temps, but right now I' m a believer in this method, but because I don't know if well, now I"m on my own and don't know what to do. Any help, lots of help is greatly appreciated.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
mamaherrera, welcome to the forum. :welcome

Ray Peat says that high cholesterol is indicative of low thyroid function. Same goes for your morning temperatures.

Are you able to eat oysters? There is a thread on acne and in the thread lack of zinc is also indicated to bring on acne. I upped my oyster intake and my acne did improve.

4peatssake

mamaherrera said:
Ok, I feel like an abandoned soul on this website, I got into this way of eating after years of low fat, restricted fat, bad sleeping habits, and lots of stress. I"m 32. I have always had acne, even as a young girl, and high cholesterol and I did lots of running, tried to "eat right", no saturated fat, and no fat at all and thought I was doing it perfectly. Now at 32, I've had symptoms of hypothyroid (temps in the morning are 97.2/97.3) no raise in my cycle, so nonovulating, and have been told I have PCOS because my total testosterone is elevated, not free, and my progesterone is always low. I'm so desperate for help, but none of the doctors understand, and no I"m not on thyroid medicine, because my numbers supposedly are all good. TSH 1.19,T4 1.2, thyroid peroxidase 10,thyroglobin AB <20. I started this because I paid a nutritionalist to help me with my issues and she taught me some of the guidelines of this, but it's been hard to find her lately. Here's what I've been left with on my own to do. i eat liver once a week, shrimp./clams twice a week, just started progeserone (the first two days it raised my temps, today it didn't, don't know why) and I have upped my protein and use saturated fat. I can't stand coconut oil, but use ghee butter, pasteurized butter, and do the carrot daily. It's been three months on the diet, and now I"ve started getting acne around my mouth again (don' t know why), maybe the dairy (don't know if the cottage cheese or the milk, but I hope I can handle cheese) . I don't know if it's thyroid or lack or progesterone that's causing my high temps, but right now I' m a believer in this method, but because I don't know if well, now I"m on my own and don't know what to do. Any help, lots of help is greatly appreciated.

:welcome2 to the forum Mamaherrera!

This is a really great group of helpful people, many of whom have or have had similar issues.

Charlie has mentioned the threads about acne and they should help.

If you give more details about your diet that may help. Are you eating a minimum of 80 grams of protein? What about sugar - how much fruit are you eating and what fruit or juice and how much?

What progesterone are you taking? Is it Progest E, the progesterone supplement Ray recommends? The more detail you give us the better we can help.

This thread can assist as well as it gives some of the basics: viewtopic.php?p=28#p28

You mention having high temps but the temps you posted are low. Normal temperature is 98.6

The thyroid supplements Ray recommends are cynoplus and cytomel which you can order online. Others here have had success using glandular supplements which can also be ordered online. There are guidelines available for how to dose thyroid - if you are interested in supplementing thyroid. It is not easy to find a doctor who is truly knowledgeable so most of us have taken our health into our own hands - where it belongs anyway, in my opinion.

Hope this helps and glad you have joined us!

OP
M

mamaherrera

No I don't have high temps: I mean I don't get a temperature raise (thus I don't ovulate) I had two days of high temps, using the progest E, but last night I also used progest E and no temperature raise, so I don't know if it was the progest E or what it was, but last night i didn't put it on my tongue, but my gums and lips, maybe that changed the results?? I tried oysters, I can't stand them, it's hard for me to get them down, is there any alternative? No my temps are low. I am trying and think I get that much protein, between 80-100, and I bet my sugar is what I get less of. I thought I should avoid sugar because I have PCOS and sugar raised blood sugar, and thus, raised more testosterone in my body and I don't want more testosterone, I have too much!! I would be willing to try thyroid supplements, but I don't know which are the best and how to use them. Could use more info on that. My thing, is I've been on this way of eating (more or less) for four months, shouldn't I have seen some raise in my temperature by now, with all the changes I've made?? I've cuz out PUFA dramaticaally, upped vitamin E, taking vitamin K (four drops a day), more protein, smaller meals frequently and the gelatin in juice, and my temperature doesn't budge at all. Getting a bit worried. My anxiety has gotten less, thank God!

Dan W

Welcome Mamaherrera. It sounds like you and I are similar (cholesterol problems, hypothyroidism, lifelong acne), so I can reassure you that Peat's stuff has helped me make huge progress on all of those issues. And I suspect you'll be able to improve your other issues as well.

mamaherrera said:
I would be willing to try thyroid supplements, but I don't know which are the best and how to use them. Could use more info on that.
This is a good start to read through:
Instructions on How to Supplement With Glandular Thyroid

HDD

Welcome Mamaherrera!

Are you supplementing salt? Aspirin?

Mittir

Are you getting 1200-1500 mg calcium daily? How is your vitamin D status?
What is the total carbohydrate intake and what part of it is sugar?
Is your diet heavy on starch?
Daily raw carrot salad can do wonders in improving over all health.
Extra salt helps with increasing temperature.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Wow , what supportive people on here. I am salting all my food, I could maybe do more, but I"M not like taking "just salt" per say, aspirin, I did for a few days, but not daily. I have a question: IF your temperature raises from like salt or progesterone, is it a guarantee that thyroid is functioning better???
As for calcium, no I"m not taking much calcium, my vitamin D I take 2000 daily to maintain my level that was like 70, after being on high doses because it was 29 for a long time. Carbs, I mostly get from corn tortillas (treated with lime), potatoe, and sugar from fruit, juices. Part I don't know how much, like in percentage wise or ratios. I was going to get refined coconut, but the lady at the store said, It's still gonna taste like coconut, there's no avoiding that one, so I stuck with ghee butter.
I would dare to try supplementing on my own with thyroid, but where is the link to a guide on how to do that, and on where to get this thyroid stuff from?? And is it forever, or is it a temporary measure??? The docs always say, one you start thyroid, you can't stop. So that's why Iv'e been a bit nervous about it. How soon from diet, should you see improvement, if that' would be all it takes?? and if you do heavy sugar, does that not raise glucose level, because I"m pre-diabetic!

Mittir

Raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoots daily is extremely helpful.
Here is thread on basic guidelines of Ray Peat
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20

RP recommends sugar( fructose containing fruit juice, honey, table sugar etc) for treating diabetes.
There are several articles on sugar and diabetes on this site
http://raypeat.com/articles/
There are also audio interview on different topics at
http://eastwesthealing.com/resources/ray-peat/

Temperature and pulse should be measured 2 hours after breakfast.

HDD

I did not like the taste of coconut oil until I switched to refined. I use Spectrum (because Walmart carries it) refined and it does not have the coconut flavor. It really has no flavor. I put it in coffee and cook with it. I believe the brand recommended on this forum is Tropical Traditions and I am not sure about the taste.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks for the tip, maybe one of these days I"ll try it. I just had some liver right now, and I think I want to vomit. So right now, nothing sounds good!!

J

j.

mamaherrera said:
Thanks for the tip, maybe one of these days I"ll try it. I just had some liver right now, and I think I want to vomit. So right now, nothing sounds good!!

I soak it in milk for a few hours before cooking and like it better that way.

HDD

mamaherrera said:

:lol: I hear you on liver. I use a ton of salt to get liver down and I share some with the dog.I felt the same about oysters,too. I can actually say I somewhat like them in oyster stew if they are small.

OP
M

mamaherrera

I don't get it. I was liking it when I got the young baby liver, but then they told me that the young baby livers get fed grain the last three months, so I tried the older liver that's grass fed only, but aarrff!! Either it's that or I put too much ghee butter in their to fry it, but I'm not a happy camper right now. I need a coke!

Mittir

mamaherrera said:
I don't get it. I was liking it when I got the young baby liver, but then they told me that the young baby livers get fed grain the last three months, so I tried the older liver that's grass fed only, but aarrff!! Either it's that or I put too much ghee butter in their to fry it, but I'm not a happy camper right now. I need a coke!

Liver is almost fat free, so it really does not matter much if the cow is grass fed or not.
I can only eat calf liver and lamb liver. Liver from older cows taste terrible.
But soaking in milk for long time will take care of most of the bad taste.
Liver always should be eaten with good amount of fat.

4peatssake

j. said:
mamaherrera said:

I soak it in milk for a few hours before cooking and like it better that way.

I do this too and I think calves liver is more tender than beef liver. I also pan fry lots of finely chopped onions in butter first til they are nearly crisp and then pan fry the liver in the same pan.

The combination of soaking in milk and cooking with fried onions in butter works pretty good for me.