California Officially Declares RoundUp (glyphosate) A Known Carcinogen

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted a few threads before in regards to the toxicity of RoundUp (glyphosate) - Monsanto's most famous product, which is explicitly banned in many countries worldwide. For a very long time Monsanto managed to get away with murder by claiming that glyphosate cannot be toxic because a mechanism of action for its toxicity is yet to be found despite decades of (anemic) efforts. However, recently the ability of glyphosate to deplete glycine provide at least one such mechanism and this is probably what gave the state of California enough ammo to list glyphosate as a known carcinogen. As the second link below says, cancer is just one of the issue related to glyphosate and other diseases include "...diabetes, obesity, asthma, Alzheimer’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and Parkinson’s disease, among others."
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...nally-proven-toxic-it-depletes-glycine.11502/
RoundUp (glyphosate) Linked To Alzheimers, Parkinson And ALS

To me the much more troubling news is that apparently EPA knew quite well about the dangers of the pesticide and even offered to "kill" an investigation into its dangers. The news articles does not say whether the investigation has been terminated or not, but it does say that the EPA employee who offered to stop the investigation to Monsanto's benefit has since retired and probably collects a hefty pension from both the feds and Monsanto's payroll. It is beyond baffling that despite evidence of EPA conspiring with Monsanto not only is nobody going to trial/jail but people are simply going about their business (and retirement) as if nothing happened.

California says key ingredient in Roundup weed killer can cause cancer - CNN.com
"...One of the most popular herbicides in the world can cause cancer, California health officials say, and they might demand warnings saying so. That herbicide, glyphosate, will be added to California's list of chemicals that can cause cancer, the state's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment said this week. Glyphosate is the key ingredient in weed killers such as Roundup. California keeps a list of carcinogenic chemicals because of a law commonly called Proposition 65, which "requires businesses to provide warnings to Californians about significant exposures to chemicals that cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm."

"...As CNN reported last month, more than 800 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma patients are suing Monsanto, claiming Roundup gave them cancer. And an internal Monsanto company email said an EPA official had offered to "kill" a separate investigation into glyphosate. That official, who was the head of the EPA's Cancer Assessment Review Committee, has since retired. Monsanto has consistently maintained that the herbicide is safe."

artlange

Roundup is used to kill wheat before harvest to make it easier to dry the wheat after harvest. Unfortunately this leaves glyphosate residue on the wheat. (As if you needed another reason to stop eating wheat.)

L

lollipop

Finally. Here is a GREAT interview about its connection to Autism

TubZy

Besides wheat, anything else we should keep a close eye out for in terms of when food shopping that have traces of roundup?

Dhair

Besides wheat, anything else we should keep a close eye out for in terms of when food shopping that have traces of roundup?
I really wouldn't eat any plant if you don't have at least a rough idea of where it came from first, unless it's something that grows underground.

Dave Clark

Not only plants not grown organically to be avoided, but non-organic meats are from animals fed (not only soy) grains that are dried with glyphosate, and then the downstream products like milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. are contaminated as well. Personally, I buy as much organic as possible. If a product has industrialized chemicals in the mix, you can bet it is not healthy for you.

TubZy

I really wouldn't eat any plant if you don't have at least a rough idea of where it came from first, unless it's something that grows underground.

True, I buy organic but still might not do enough justice I agree. I guess another reason not to eat vegetables haha.

sladerunner69

I wonder if glyphosate could contaminate conventionally made milk? The cows ruminant system probably does a good job of clearing it out right?

HLP

It's a good thing we don't consume any of the crops grown in our surrounding fields. One year they aerial sprayed a product called Decis by Bayer. Killed every living thing but the plant. Even years later the ducks are having a hard time hatching eggs near the pond they sprayed. We video taped the whole event, where they proceeded to spray too close to our home. Global troubleshooters were going to do a story on it but chickened out. F them. After that I shared the video with our farmers and they offered me money but instead I made them promise that they would NEVER do this again. Oh and Environment Canada after watching the video, took some water samples from the pond and told us it was none of our business about the results.

Last edited: