Calcium Sulfate

Julian

I'm looking to supplement calcium since I cannot tolerate milk yet. Nathan Hatch seems to recommend Calcium Sulfate and says it's his favorite calcium supplement. I'm a bit hesitant to try it because I can almost find no info on people supplementing this type of calcium.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Would this be safe to take?

Sheila

Hello Julian
I have used 8mg of USP calcium sulphate 3x daily in older people for say a month or so to help heal skin ulcers, particularly of the lower leg, and it is very effective. I believe Chinese medicine uses it also but again in low amounts. I have never used it in higher doses as a "calcium" supplement and would be wary about too much sulphate in this very pure form, since I recall that there is (at least) some interference/depletion with copper if one is not careful. In people where we have used sodium sulphate (it has anti-oedema effect, amongst other things) at 200mg for short periods, I think there can be problems with changes to gut flora also. There is a thread by Amazoniac on sulphur containing amino acids where sulphates are discussed. IIRC potassium sulphate has worsened RA symptoms in some.

At low doses, calcium sulphate seems remarkably effective (in my experiences) for indolent ulcers whereas use of say potassium or sodium sulphates doesn't work, so it seems to be the calcium + sulphate here that, at low dose, works some catalytic? magic.

I hope this is helpful, and should you decide to try higher doses would be interested in your findings. I will review Mr Hatch's rationale also.
Best regards,
Sheila

Amazoniac

I will review Mr Hatch's rationale also.
Hi, Sheila! Nice to know that you're around.

The rationale may be something like this: me see Seneff writing, me vary and do; me happy, me has the next 'cure for..'. Having killcium in it should disguise one more appropriation.

Healthy people tolerate greater amounts of sulfate and the rate of absorption stays the same as the dose is increased up to a tested limit, which was the extreme end of evaluated consumption, about 1.5 g. Waters with this content per liter are considered 'extremely high', you can find claims that values above 0.25 g/L are enough to be objectionable.

The weight ratio of sulfate to killcium in the supplement is about 2.4. If someone supplemented 1 g, the person would be getting 2.4 g of sulfate. Since 1 g of killcium is a decent intake and 2.4 g of sulfate is excessive, considering it a sulfate supplement with killcium wouldn't be off.

Killcium sulfate has low solubility, which makes it a potential carrier of sulfate to regions that are farther down the intestines with a greater number of bacteria.

It's common for Westerners to eat a diet that's heavy in sulfur-containing compounds, so the gut composition may already reflect the foods consumed.

A healthy state doesn't make it safe to brutalize on a regular basis because a small unabsorbed fraction of a large ingested dose can be a concerning amount. The rate of utilization above is optimistic, the person may be in poor shape and not only let a lot of sulfate escape absorption, but also harbor pathogenic bacteria that will bloom on it. Dilution in case of laxation isn't guaranteed to be mitigating because certain bacteria are rapid metabolizers and may even thrive on this.

If I'm not wrong, sulfate is less acidifying than chloride, I don't remember why, but I wouldn't neglect this aspect because some people are borderline acidotic. When excreted, killcium is lost in the process as well, but the absorption of sulfate is greater than killcium; in the long-term these excessive amounts of sulfate may be depleting. There's also the possibility of sulfate inducing deficiencies of other nutrients, the copper that you mentioned is one example.

Brief therapeutic uses of this salt should be alright, sulfide has been observed to enhance healing of ulcers and killcium might be potentiating, but chronic high doses don't seem a good idea.

Transdermal sulfate for regular use is safer, but to mimic the internal production from the amino acids and prevent disturbances, a repeated application of small amounts might be needed (as opposed to the shocking baths).

Last edited:

Sheila

Greetings dear Amazoniac,
Thank you for your interesting response.
I think that indeed the low solubility of calcium sulphate removes certain bowel toxicity that may have impaired healing through lowered peripheral circulation. But too elevated levels of sulphate will have the opposite effect and provide food for other bugs. As always, taking the pressure off any system helps, which makes dose and context ever critical. And that balance too is ever changing. In the rush for more cations, you have done sterling work in reminding all that anions matter! Small doses of mineral salts can be very useful and chlorides/sulphates of potassium, sodium etc are found in many vegetables, so using small amounts regularly for a short period of time can be helpful. Large amounts seem more sexy to some and that is one way to learn that 'less is often more' I guess!
As always I appreciate your thoughts.
Sincerely,
Sheila