Calcium Magnesium Ratio

mamaherrera

Right now, I'm not doing much milk, dairy, and have a question. Where can I get eggshell powder???? At supplement stores?? And how do I get enough magnesium to counteract the calcium, at the same time?? what should be the ratio of calcium to magnesium, if you're shooting for 1:1 ratio between phosphorous and calcium, that's a lot of magnesium!! I've always heard that magnesium to calcium should be 2:1. So I'm confused now. And are there any supplemental calciums that are good if I can not find eggshell powder?? :2cents

Mittir

Someone asked RP about ratio of calcium and magnesium.
It should be somewhere in the forum. His answer was that
it is not important as long as total alkaline mineral intake is high.
Only ratio he talked about is calcium to phosphorus one.
He also mentioned that hypothyroid people
need more magnesium than healthy people and once thyroid is fixed
a person needs less magnesium than RDA. Hypothyroid people
have problem retaining magnesium and sodium.
Low sodium increases magnesium loss.
Here is one quote on magnesium supplement.

Ray Peat said:
All of the magnesium supplements that I have tried caused allergy symptoms and bowel inflammation, but some people don't have a problem with magnesium carbonate or magnesium glycinate. I think it's best to use the foods with high magnesium content, and to start the thyroid slowly, allowing the tissues time to absorb magnesium; the other minerals, Ca, Na, and K, have antistress effects that spare magnesium. viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1035&start=30#p11587

Kasper

I use magnesium chloride from zechstein minerals.
I supplement around 800 mg magnesium, it sounds reasonable to me that if you supplement calcium with egg shels or something, you should also some extra magnesium.
Just to keep the balance right. I think people fear to supplement magnesium because those capsules often have much other ***t added.

Dr. Sircus recommands the brand Ancient Minerals. I personally use a dutch brand, which I think gets their magnesium oil from the same (natural) source. This product doesn't have any additives.

north

you make eggshell powder yourself from mixing eggshells in a coffee grinder. D Roddy has a video how to do on youtube.

pboy

I wouldn't worry too much about magnesium, in my opinion and experience its one of the most overblown health topics. Daily requirement for magnesium under any condition short of diarreah or massive diuretics is very low. Like...even 40% of the RDA is enough for most people most days. I don't know where the idea came in that people were magnesium deficient or imbalanced...probably just for marketing. Id say calcium should be higher than magnesium for sure, and perhaps even much higher...like 2 to 1 to 4 to 1 favoring calcium. That's just based on the food you'd eat, excess magnesium doesn't cause any real imbalance and gets urinated out quickly. As with what the above poster said, the only mineral balance necessary to monitor that I can think of atm is calcium to phosphorus, aiming for at least 1:1 and perhaps as high as 3 or 4 : 1 which is sort of ideal and unrealistic, 1:1 is more sensible, maybe 2:1. Basically all you have to do is see whether or not the food has as much or more calcium then phosphorus and its good, to keep it simple...and occasionaly something with more phosphorus than calcium probably wont in the spectrum of a day shift the ratio to negative. The main reason im compelled to think that calcium : phosphorus is important is because almost all studies done with farm animals, and more importantly race horses who have a very similar digestive process to humans (non ruminant, hind gut fermenter) and its well known they will break bones and have osteoporosis if they don't get more calcium than phosphorus in the diet

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks for all the input. although I was told that with PCOS, I needed lots more magnesium. I do take about 800 mg. And yes, i see many who make their own eggshell powder, but I'm lazy!! I'd rather buy, I thought there was some you could buy. Isn't calcium carbonate the same?? I Know other peaters from another site who do a certain type of Tums for their calcium. But don't those have aluminum?

Kasper

I don't know where the idea came in that people were magnesium deficient or imbalanced...probably just for marketing.

magnesium is the only supplement that everyone I know that tried it reacted positive on, that is surely now marketing. My father gets massive muscle cramps if he doesn't take it. Everytime when he runs out of magnesium, he gets this.

A friend of my father used to have pains in his muscles ( don't remember his condition exactly), he went to the doctor for this, tried everything, nothing helped, then my father gave him magnesium, his issues where solved, within 2 days.

A fried of me, used to have stiff muscles, also solved with magnesium.

My mother takes it for sleep, a little bit more likely to be placebo, but this is what many people say, that magnesium helps for sleep.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I used to take quite a large dose of supplemental magnesium on the recommendation of my last doctor and at the time I felt it was beneficial. After discovering Peat I was quickly able to discontinue the supplemental magnesium but I did take Epsom salt baths a few times weekly for first couple months. It seems like the better my health became the more my body retained magnesium from my diet making the supplements and the Epsom salt baths unnecessary. I believe when our cells are respiring efficiently our body no longer wastes magnesium. That's just my personal experience and understanding.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
but how did you know when your body no longer needed it?
I stopped having muscle cramps mainly. I used to feel relaxed after the Epsom salts bath but then that started to feel no different than a regular bath so I just assumed everything was becoming more balanced. :D

OP
M

mamaherrera

sounds good to me. I never had muscle cramps, I just took magnesium because they told me too, and to help with sleep. Which it doesn't make a difference there really either. TOTALLY OFF TOPIC: But does anyone have advice for dry eyes?? Mine are so dry and burning. . . .