"Calcium Inhibits Mitochondrial Respiration In A Dose-dependent Manner.”

grenade

Dr. Peat commonly refers to calcium being important for mitochondrial respiration, hence why milk/dairy consumption is advocated in the diet.

In one study I found online recently, the authors discussed a view quite contrarian to Peat’s (study found here:

“Calcium inhibits mitochondrial respiration in a dose-dependent manner...
Though the oxygen consumption increased initially upon addition of calcium and returned to State II respiration rates (Figure (Figure5),5), the later response to ADP was markedly affected, and this could be due to the transient depolarizing effect experienced with calcium on membrane potential. In one study, mitochondria exposed to a low Ca2+concentration (4 μM) resulted in a VDAC-mediated reversible cytochrome c release, whereas at a higher Ca2+ concentration (100 μM), there was mitochondrial inhibition due to mPT induced irreversible cytochrome c release (Schild et al., 2001).”

What do you guys make of this? I remember feeling good on tons of calcium initially but it quickly tapered off later on.

joaonoch

Wow I think you're onto something there. Isn't calcium meant to be good though? That's what Ray Peat said somewhere.

Arrade

All cell death is characterized by an increase of intracellular calcium….” “Increase of cytoplasmic free calcium may therefore be called ‘the final common path’ of cell disease and cell death. Aging as a background of diseases is also characterized by an increase of intracellular calcium. Diseases typically associated with aging include hypertension, arteriosclerosis, diabetes mellitus and dementia.” -Fujita, 1991

I think there's a discrepancy in healthy calcium levels, and a degenerative condition in which cells become calcified.

Not having enough calcium in the blood can lead to soft tissue calcification, as the parathyroid is unopposed:

""...Calcium outflow from bone that occurs to prevent decrease of blood calcium in calcium deficiency caused by the PTH, with consequent calcium overflow into soft tissues & the intracellular compartment." [↓ Ca Intake ↑ PTH ↑ Intracellular Ca ↑ Aging] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10874605 "
- Danny Roddy (@dannyroddy) | Twitter

Can't say what Peat was getting at but thought I'd throw more data in

Hans

Forum Supporter
It's the intracellular calcium that's the problem. Low ATP production, hypothyroid, cell damage and mineral deficiencies, such as magnesium and potassium, will result in an increase in intracellular calcium.

walker_in_aus

Well they are saying EMF will cause large amounts of intracellular calcium, so we are buggered.

ddjd

It's the intracellular calcium that's the problem. Low ATP production, hypothyroid, cell damage and mineral deficiencies, such as magnesium and potassium, will result in an increase in intracellular calcium.
can taurine also help reduce intracellular calcium?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals