Calcium Caseinate :The Ideal Peat Protein Powder?

Demyze

True Nutrition Calcium Caseinate

Ingredients:

Calcium Caseinate (Milk), [highlight=yellow]Sunflower Lecithin (Less than 1%)[/highlight].

Serving Size 1 (30g)
Servings Per Container 15
Amount Per Serving
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 4
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.4g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.1g 0%
Cholesterol 6mg 2%
Sodium 1.2mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0.3g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0.3g
Protein 26.6g 53%
Potassium 0% Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0% [highlight=yellow]Calcium 39%[/highlight]
Iron 0%

The above statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease.
Amino Acid Profile
Per 100 grams
Alanine 2.8
Arginine 3.7
Aspartic Acid 6
Cystine 0.4
Glutamic Acid 20.4
Glycine 1.8
Histidine 3
Isoleucine 4.8
Leucine 8.1
Lysine 7.2
Methionine 3.1
Phenylalanine 4.8
Proline 1
Serine 5.6
Threonine 4.1
[highlight=yellow]Tryptophan 0.6[/highlight]
Tyrosine 5.5
Valine 6

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to its high calcium and low tryptophan levels relative to other amino acids, wouldn't this be an excellent source of cheap and convenient protein while following a Ray Peat inspired diet? Would the small amount of sunflower lecthin present an issue?

OP
Demyze

Demyze

Also, I've emailed the sellers requesting information on the phosphorus levels in the protein powder.

schultz

I don't ingest protein powder currently but I am interested in this topic none-the-less.

A friend of mine mentioned micellar casein as a protein with high calcium. I was curious about it and found this... https://altisendurance.com/products/micellar-casein The unflavoured kind has just micellar casein powder and 1.5% or less of some kind of lecithin. That's not what caught my attention though. The calcium: phosphorus ratio was crazy. 71%RDA for calcium and 3%RDA for phosphorus in only 86 calories of the stuff.

Here is the info.

https://www.musclefeast.com/uploads/file/unflavored.gif

The protein you list is cheaper, so I am very curious to see the amount of phosphorus it has.

1% lecithin seems minuscule to me. The powder I listed says it has 1.5% lecithin, 0.4g of fat per serving and 0.2g of saturated fat. That means the amount of PUFA is like 0.1g. You'd have to be seriously neurotic to worry about that.

jyb

schultz said:
1% lecithin seems minuscule to me. The powder I listed says it has 1.5% lecithin, 0.4g of fat per serving and 0.2g of saturated fat. That means the amount of PUFA is like 0.1g. You'd have to be seriously neurotic to worry about that.

The problem with soya lecithin has nothing to do with PUFA. If it was due to small PUFA amounts, then given the large amount of saturated fats in my diet I could be pounding soya down my throat all day long and still have a healthy saturation ratio.

However, it's extremely estrogenic - think about eating a fraction of birth control pill each time you eat a bar of commercial chocolate, yet it has a minuscule amount of lecithin in the added ingredients. There is a study comparing estrogenic activity of soya lecithin with tofu and other things if you want to make a precise comparison. Note that estrogenic activity is just one problem with soya lecithin, but there are other theories out there.

However, your powder has sunflower lecithin - maybe much better?

schultz

jyb said:
schultz said:

The problem with soya lecithin has nothing to do with PUFA. If it was due to small PUFA amounts, then given the large amount of saturated fats in my diet I could be pounding soya down my throat all day long and still have a healthy saturation ratio.

However, it's extremely estrogenic - think about eating a fraction of birth control pill each time you eat a bar of commercial chocolate, yet it has a minuscule amount of lecithin in the added ingredients. There is a study comparing estrogenic activity of soya lecithin with tofu and other things if you want to make a precise comparison. Note that estrogenic activity is just one problem with soya lecithin, but there are other theories out there.

However, your powder has sunflower lecithin - maybe much better?

I knew soy was estrogenic but never really thought about that in regards to soy lecithin, so I appreciate you schooling me :lol: I'm actually surprised I didn't know this and not because I think I'm some smarty pants but because it seems to be a well known thing... :oops:

I decided to educate myself a bit and found this study One thing it mentions is that soy lecithin doesn't contain genistein, which is apparently the most potent estrogen in soy. The chocolate tested with soy lecithin did contain a much higher level of estrogenic activity than regular chocolate. I'm guessing this would be a problem if someone ate a lot of chocolate, but probably isn't a big deal if are just having a square or two a week.

Here is the full study for those interested.

Attachments

• soyestrogen.pdf
    349.9 KB · Views: 83

tara

schultz said:
The chocolate tested with soy lecithin did contain a much higher level of estrogenic activity than regular chocolate.
Almost all 'regular' chocolate has soy lecithin. You have to really hunt for one without.

jyb

schultz said:

A couple years back I noticed getting some acne when eating chocolate. It seemed related to a particular brand only. Turns out that despite being the more pure and organic variety, it was also the one containing soy lecithin. And then turns out I wasn't the only one getting suspicious about endotoxin from soy lecithin, just google it. Now still eat chocolate, just no to the lecithin ones. Tesco stores now have good choice of lecithin-free ones, awesome. I lost all respect for the upscale chocolate shops who seem to dump all that soya in their chocolate products as if it was normal to have soya everywhere.

But even just reading the estrogen studies I'm not touching that stuff ever again, the stuff is evil.

schultz

tara said:
schultz said:
The chocolate tested with soy lecithin did contain a much higher level of estrogenic activity than regular chocolate.
Almost all 'regular' chocolate has soy lecithin. You have to really hunt for one without.

We just buy 70% Lindt. It doesn't list soy lecithin in the ingredients however it does say "May contain traces of peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, milk and soya lecithin." Hopefully they just have to say that because of people with allergies to soy and the fact that it's probably processed in the same plant?

tara

schultz said:
tara said:
schultz said:

We just buy 70% Lindt. It doesn't list soy lecithin in the ingredients however it does say "May contain traces of peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, milk and soya lecithin." Hopefully they just have to say that because of people with allergies to soy and the fact that it's probably processed in the same plant?

I just recently for the first time found some soy-free Lindt. Haven't found any milk chocolate soyfree yet, though.

schultz

tara said:
schultz said:
tara said:
schultz said:

I just recently for the first time found some soy-free Lindt. Haven't found any milk chocolate soyfree yet, though.

So is this a recent change the company has made?

tara

schultz said:
tara said:
schultz said:
tara said:
schultz said:

So is this a recent change the company has made?

I'm not sure if it's a change over time, or a regional difference, or whether they just weren't stocking the soy-free flavours locally last time I looked. Most flavours still seem to have soy.

Someone should make low-glutamate milk protein :soon