Calcium carbonate (and wheat bran) as bile binders

Jamsey

It’s been mentioned here before that calcium can function as a bile binder but I thought I’d post this study as confirmation of the magnitude of the effect.

“high-dose fiber supplementation caused a reduction in fecal concentrations of total bile acids (52% reduction; P = .001) and deoxycholic acid (48% reduction; P = .003). High-dose calcium supplementation also had a significant, but lower, effect at 9 months versus 0 months on the geometric mean total bile acid (35% reduction; P = .044) and deoxycholic fecal bile acid (36% reduction; P = .052) concentrations.”

While wheat bran was slightly more effective, calcium carbonate has other benefits that definitely make it a better choice. The dose was 1500 mg of elemental calcium in the form of calcium carbonate(~3750mg).

InChristAlone

@charlie @InChristAlone I found this while looking for something else...toxic bile etc.

Very interesting @Jamsey thanks for posting, I've never heard about anything like this.
Thanks for the tag! I will have to look into this. So wouldn't we want the opposite of this? Wouldn't we want there to be more bile in the stool if we are to be getting rid of toxic bile?

Last edited:

Peater

Thanks for the tag! I will have to look into this. So wouldn't we want the opposite of this? Wouldn't we want there to be more bile in the stool if we are to be getting rid of toxic bile?

Oh my mistake. I thought they were looking for an increase. Still, it validates the soluble fibre theory. (Wheat bran being insoluble)

InChristAlone

Oh my mistake. I thought they were looking for an increase. Still, it validates the soluble fibre theory. (Wheat bran being insoluble)
Yeah wheat bran is very harsh at least for me. Beans have been way easier to add into my diet than whole wheat.

OP
J

Jamsey

Bile binding is the basis of the theory you guys follow. Both soluble and insoluble fiber have bile binding properties. And the study I posted on this thread shows that calcium carbonate has this property as well.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Bile binding is the basis of the theory you guys follow. Both soluble and insoluble fiber have bile binding properties. And the study I posted on this thread shows that calcium carbonate has this property as well.
Ah I was confused because it didn't say they bound up the bile. Thanks for the clarification! Definitely needs more attention as many of us were eating a lot of saturated fat without any vegetables, beans or whole grains.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Sinjin

Then we would need to figure out why milk causes eczema for so many people.

The VA in milk is probably causing the eczema and is a good reason to minimize it, but if the study benefits are coming from calcium then non-milk calcium may be helpful.

Nick

This is very interesting since in the past high calcium from milk always seemed to do great things for my intestines. I do think my high calcium intake contributed to calcification and joint/muscle issues but this is complex as it was probably also from high vitamin A intake and vitamin D supplementation.

I wonder if there is an amount of calcium that helps with bile excretion and colon health but does not cause other issue. Perhaps it is key to avoid vitamin D supplements since maybe we actually don't want to absorb much of the calcium but instead excrete it in the poop.

Mauritio

The problem for me is that calcium causes constipation, so while it might bind up the bile it wont be excreted fastly , so there is more time for the bile to get reabsorbed.
Wheat bran I can attest that it helps with constipation so it might be a better choice. I use it in very small quantities thoug, like half a teaspoon.