Calcium Carbonate and t3 absorption

btomczak

Just a quick question, does cal carb interfere with the absorption of t3, or is that just t4? If not, then they can be taken at the same time yes?

Thanks!

Dan W

This doesn't really answer your question, but I couldn't find any tests of calcium carbonate interfering with T3 absorption, only T4 absorption. And Cliff doesn't even think the T4 issue is much of a concern.

If nobody has a more definitive answer, you could play it safe just by offsetting the calcium carbonate a little bit. The two T4 studies I read didn't show terrible absorption problems even when taking the calcium simultaneously, and T3 absorbs a lot faster than T4.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat has said it is not a concern.

We had talked about this before but I am too tired to look for it tonight. :(

Rayser

If I remember correctly there was some trouble with calcium pills containing iodine. When iodine is used together with T4 it activates too much of it too quickly. Since calcium carbonate is pure and doesn't contain any iodine there is no problem.
The same goes for T3. If iodine triggers conversion from T4 to T3 there might be too much T3 and that can cause temporary hyperthyroidism. Symptoms should disappear within a few hours, sooner if you drink cabbage juice or use L-carnitin.
I use NDT thiroyd with milk because I have notice it raises my body temperature immediately.