Calcium Bicarbonate Water?

LeeLemonoil

Also looking into making Magnesium- or Calciumbicarbonate sodas, and Carbonates are easier to get for me than hydroxides.

MgCO3(s) + H2CO3(aq) = Mg(HCO3)2(aq)

works for me too, as @visionofstrength and @Amazoniac have worked out already in this thread

ernobe

Hi all,

Today I tried making calcium bicarbonate using the same process I've been using to dissolve magnesium hydroxide. I don't know how much calcium bicarbonate I made but am confident there was some because the sides of the bottle collapsed (as in the magnesium reaction). For the quantity of calcium hydroxide used, I looked at websites where calcium hydroxide is used in cooking, such as in Thai betel chewing and Mexican nixtamalized corn. No links are allowed as this is my first post but I will have them handy for later. I put 2 tbsps. calcium hydroxide in a cup and added water to reach the 1/4 mark, then dissolved and added one and a half tablespoon of the liquid to 1 1/3 cup of carbonated water. This is put in a small plastic bottle and shaken for a minute or more, and allowed to settle for 30mins., after which it is vigorously shaken for a couple more minutes until the sides of the bottle collapse (it is not as noticeable as in the magnesium reaction, perhaps half as much). After it is allowed to settle for thirty more minutes, it is still cloudy and has residue at the bottom. I added the liquid to the magnesium water I had.

For the magnesium water the recipe is about the same, 1 tbsp. milk of magnesia in 1 1/3 cup carbonated water, then the same steps as above, though it turns out clear. Add water to make 4 liters (16 cups). I used the calcium/magnesium water to make an electrolyte solution and had about a half cup of that and another cup of the water by itself a few hours ago on an empty stomach so I can gauge my reaction. At first I felt an unusual, noticeable increase in my appetite. I still feel it, though it could also be because today is the first time in ages that I've had lentils. :wacky:

EDIT: makes 4 liters

Last edited:

ernobe

I thought I'd update you on my experiment. Increased appetite is definitely a plus for me, and I'm not left feeling as bloated. I should also mention that I experienced slight headache and nausea, but my digestion improved (I'm on what you may describe as a very low calorie diet). After reading up on the tolerable intake of calcium from various sources and comparing its hydroxide with the reactive potential of magnesium hydroxide, I decided yesterday to up the amount of calcium hydroxide. I put 2 tbsps. of calcium hydroxide in a cup and added enough carbonated water to make 1 1/3 cup, then dissolved with my hands and let it sit for about a minute, then added the liquid (without the residue at bottom) to a small plastic bottle, and shook it vigorously. The reaction was immediate, the sides of the bottle collapsing twice. After thirty minutes I shook it again but nothing happened. After sitting for another thirty minutes it turned out less cloudy than previously when using less than half the amount of calcium hydroxide, perhaps due to the greater reaction. Tasting it, it had a very strong, acid like feeling to it but actually tasting sweet. It yields about a cup without the residue at bottom. Adding it to the magnesium water, it nullifies the magnesium taste, tasting like ordinary water.

ernobe

UPDATE:
Since I have no idea how much calcium bicarbonate I've been making, I can only speak from personal experience in making the following recommendation. While the recipe for making calcium bicarbonate appears to be OK, the amount to be taking should be considerably less. For now I'm going with 1 tbsp. per liter, in other words 1/4 the amount I was taking previously. I didn't seem to tolerate well taking a lot of the water, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to accustom my body to have that kind of water floating around in it.

Cloudhands

UPDATE:
Since I have no idea how much calcium bicarbonate I've been making, I can only speak from personal experience in making the following recommendation. While the recipe for making calcium bicarbonate appears to be OK, the amount to be taking should be considerably less. For now I'm going with 1 tbsp. per liter, in other words 1/4 the amount I was taking previously. I didn't seem to tolerate well taking a lot of the water, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to accustom my body to have that kind of water floating around in it.
Any update? Im interested in making calcium bicarbonAte myself :)