Calcium: Best Supplements, And Optimal Mineral Ratios?

AnonE

I'm looking for some reasonable guidelines on Calcium, given that my preference would be to use supplements to aid a diet that isn't very consistent in Ca.

What supplements would you recommend, and in what amounts for an active late 20s male?

As well, what are the right ratios of Calcium with respect to other minerals that may be antagonistic or compete for absorption in some way? For example, I've read about Zinc and Magnesium competing with Calcium in some way. What about timing constraints - should minerals be taken at different times for better absorption and balance?

Finally, what are some factors that might require one to need a higher-than-normal Calcium intake? For example, hard weightlifting, excessive caffeine intake, etc.

Cheers

Dotdash

Calcium carbonate from eggshells is often mentioned if one is not consuming dairy or eating greens. Or powders can be purchased. I use Calcium Glycinate. Percentage of minerals should be based on total caloric intake. RDA sets the average intake at 2000 calories with most recommendations based on that number. If you don't ingest that much food then total amounts of minerals would be lower. Calcium intake should be twice that of phosphorus, magnesium should be half the amount of calcium as a general rule. Calcium does deplete zinc if it is taken to excess. Rationally they would be taken at different times. Ray has mentioned that magnesium and calcium taken together initially compete but are still effective as if taken separately. It just takes a little longer. Experimenting is the only way to know for you personally.
Also, there are multiple threads on this forum providing more detailed information.

Egg shell is best but oyster shell is okay. Easier to buy. I use it with food. I take magnesium separately. I don’t supplement other metals except 200 micrograms selenium.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I have been having good success with this one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 9.30.39 am.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 9.30.39 am.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 102