Calcium + Baking Soda = Trouble?

J

j.

In medicine, milk-alkali syndrome, also called Burnett's syndrome in honor of Charles Hoyt Burnett (1913–1967), the American physician who first described it,[1][2] is characterized by hypercalcemia caused by repeated ingestion of calcium and absorbable alkali (such as calcium carbonate, or milk and sodium bicarbonate). If untreated, milk-alkali syndrome may lead to metastatic calcification and renal failure.

Link

jaguar43

Serotonin can lead to calcification, cyproheptadine has channel blocking properties.

Dan W

I've been wondering about this too. Key mentioned that he doesn't think it's an issue with just normal amounts of milk and baking soda, and Dewitt on Peatarian mentioned, "I don't know of any case in which the milk alkali syndrome was actually caused by milk consumption. Milk contains too much phosphorus for that to happen."

I've been wondering about getting an occasional serum calcium test, just to be safe.

OP
J

j.

I'm pretty sure I got it last week or so. I didn't know I had to limit sodium bicarbonate or calcium carbonate, and I was taking both, and big amounts of sodium bicarbonate, and then I had 170 of blood pressure, which is unusual. I didn't see improvements for two or three days, I think I felt worse, but then I took 45 mg of Thorne K2 and that seemed to make an important difference in 24 hours. So I'll keep doing that.

In addition to K2 I took a lot of pregnenolone and some vitamin E and coconut oil. Thankfully I had every single one of those when the crisis struck, especially K2.

Dan W

Do you mind sharing the amounts of each you were taking? I'm at ~900mg calcium carbonate and 0.5tsp baking soda per day, so I'm curious to compare.

OP
J

j.

Dan Wich said:
Do you mind sharing the amounts of each you were taking? I'm at ~900mg calcium carbonate and 0.5tsp baking soda per day, so I'm curious to compare.

Sodium bicarbonate I took it in powder form. My mistake was that I bought some lemon juice, and it was very acidic, so I put a lot of sodium bicarbonate, and I did this for a few days. Then I felt bad, but I didn't know it was due to sodium bicarbonate, I thought it was the calcium/phosphorus ratio, so one day I took 3000 mg of calcium carbonate, probably while I was experiencing the calcium alkali syndrome already. One or two days later my blood pressure was through the roof, and every little salt made me feel quite bad, I think because my body couldn't eliminate it quickly. My urine was clear and odorless like water around this time, and I don't even drink water, so obviously my kidney wasn't eliminating things well. After taking K2, I started to feel better, and the urine became and is becoming less clear.

It took about 24 hours after taking K2 to go from feeling like ***t, expecting to have a long way to recovery (if recovery was possible), to feel just about fine, although while eating very carefully and in small amounts.

OP
J

j.

To add to the post above: I think red light therapy has also been helpful. I've been reading on some websites that it can help with edema.

OP
J

j.

Apparently if Calcium Alkali syndrome occurs, urine PH is higher. So would measuring urine PH be an effective and cheap way to test whether our baking soda and calcium carbonate intake is ok?

I wonder if when my urine was extremely clear and odorless, its PH was very high.

OP
J

j.

Apparently calcification of tissues isn't as intense as expected because PTH levels are reduced.

Jenn

j. said:
Apparently if Calcium Alkali syndrome occurs, urine PH is higher. So would measuring urine PH be an effective and cheap way to test whether our baking soda and calcium carbonate intake is ok?

I wonder if when my urine was extremely clear and odorless, its PH was very high.

Saliva pH is more accurate when taking baking soda, because it dumps in the urine. I recommend checking before any supplementation for 3 days in a row first thing in the am. My saliva pH with supplementation has been as low as 4.8 but my friend's pH ran above 7 regularly. Baking soda supplementation would not be beneficial in her case.