Calcium and potassium increase retention of copper / magnesium and selenium depletes it?

BibleBeliever

If you want zinc and copper just eat oysters. They are extremely rich in both.
RayPeat recommends them.

Food is your source of minerals, not supplements.

This website lists all kinds of minerals that antagonize and synergize.

Beef liver is also extremely rich in copper.

Also, what is your diet? Sulfur is a strong antagonist to copper.

OP
M

Motif

RayPeat recommends them.

I ate oysters everyday for almost two months and it did almost nothing to my zinc and copper levels. Before that I was eating 400 g beef liver per week and lots of cacao daily. Nothing.

Dr. B

RayPeat recommends them.

that websites interesting, even b vitamins seem very dangerous reading that site.
oysters are poor in copper, they have zinc and iron in 1:1 ratio and high amounts of both. I think Ray likes the combination of oysters and liver as the liver has lots of copper, little iron and zinc and oysters are the opposite? oysters have 4mg each iron and zinc, and like 0.3mg copper in the same serving size!

OP
M

Motif

that websites interesting, even b vitamins seem very dangerous reading that site.
oysters are poor in copper, they have zinc and iron in 1:1 ratio and high amounts of both. I think Ray likes the combination of oysters and liver as the liver has lots of copper, little iron and zinc and oysters are the opposite? oysters have 4mg each iron and zinc, and like 0.3mg copper in the same serving size!
Still zinc was not going up a lot from it for me

Dr. B

Still zinc was not going up a lot from it for me
it may be a more balancing thing, it may not replete depleted zinc because it has so much iron,
youd need to figure out what caused the low zinc/low copper in the first place and remove that stressor,
low zinc and copper simultaneously, sounds like iron excess of some kind, or maybe vitamin C excess. iron/vitamin C are the only things I know of that deplete both zinc and copper when supplemented or ingested in too high amounts
manganese and molybdenum also antagonize copper, but they dont antagonize zinc from what ive read

OP
M

Motif

it may be a more balancing thing, it may not replete depleted zinc because it has so much iron,
youd need to figure out what caused the low zinc/low copper in the first place and remove that stressor,
low zinc and copper simultaneously, sounds like iron excess of some kind, or maybe vitamin C excess. iron/vitamin C are the only things I know of that deplete both zinc and copper when supplemented or ingested in too high amounts
manganese and molybdenum also antagonize copper, but they dont antagonize zinc from what ive read

i doubt that my vitamin c is too high , and iron was always ok and ferritin too.

i could donate blood and see if it makes a difference , but I’m scared to loose even more nutrients

OP
M

Motif

„The Body is very effective at handling this coz it controls redox balance. And vitamin C does this for Copper Wich also creates dihydroascorbic acid. Dont fall for the unoxidized minerals dont work so buy this expensive supplement concept. Ascorbic acid is the bodys Main facilitator for these transition metals. That is the role of ascorbic acid. Thats why it can work as both an anti oxidant and a pro oxidant. Ascorbic acid deficiency mimics Copper deficiency“

From a forum member.

so what does this mean? Ascorbic acid is needed for copper absorption?

Dr. B

„The Body is very effective at handling this coz it controls redox balance. And vitamin C does this for Copper Wich also creates dihydroascorbic acid. Dont fall for the unoxidized minerals dont work so buy this expensive supplement concept. Ascorbic acid is the bodys Main facilitator for these transition metals. That is the role of ascorbic acid. Thats why it can work as both an anti oxidant and a pro oxidant. Ascorbic acid deficiency mimics Copper deficiency“

From a forum member.

where did you get that quote from?

GenericName86

I heard once that scurvy was as much a copper deficiency/utilization issue as a vitamin C one since vit C and Copper work together. No idea how true that is at all but seeing this made me remember it. I know it's been mentioned a lot that too much vit C can impact copper negatively and then you have Matt Blackburn saying vit c from whole food is pro copper and ascorbic acid is just a "shell" of vit C.

Dr. B

From a forum member.

I heard once that scurvy was as much a copper deficiency/utilization issue as a vitamin C one since vit C and Copper work together. No idea how true that is at all but seeing this made me remember it. I know it's been mentioned a lot that too much vit C can impact copper negatively and then you have Matt Blackburn saying vit c from whole food is pro copper and ascorbic acid is just a "shell" of vit C.
the vitamin C probably has a positive effect on so many since people who drink tap water are copper overloaded, same with zinc supplements, vitamin c lightened my skin when i used 1g to 2g a day

OP
M

Motif

the vitamin C probably has a positive effect on so many since people who drink tap water are copper overloaded, same with zinc supplements, vitamin c lightened my skin when i used 1g to 2g a day
What kind of c did you use?

OP
M

Motif

From a forum member.

Confusing.
i just had my levels checked. Have started Ascorbic acid now and will check in a month again.

amd

Ascorbic acid, the product, is something else and if you take it, it will facilitate the absorption of iron.

OP
M

Motif

Ascorbic acid, the product, is something else and if you take it, it will facilitate the absorption of iron.
Something else than what?

does it facilitate iron absorption when taken away from food too?

amd

1) "Ascorbic acid in orange juice facilitates the absorption of iron"

2) The Ten Most Toxic Things In Our Food (Herb Doctors)

"ascorbic acid containing quite a bit of heavy metal"

"irritating enough to the intestine that it causes endotoxin absorption and inflammation of the nose, and the throat and chest membranes"

"citric acid is manufactured by very similar methods to ascorbic acid and they really shouldn't be considered to have anything to do with the natural ascorbic acid or citric acid"

"a person who can get very sick on 2mg of synthetic ascorbic acid can eat 4,000mg of natural ascorbic acid with no reaction at all"

OP
M

Motif

1) "Ascorbic acid in orange juice facilitates the absorption of iron"

2) The Ten Most Toxic Things In Our Food (Herb Doctors)

"ascorbic acid containing quite a bit of heavy metal"

"irritating enough to the intestine that it causes endotoxin absorption and inflammation of the nose, and the throat and chest membranes"

"citric acid is manufactured by very similar methods to ascorbic acid and they really shouldn't be considered to have anything to do with the natural ascorbic acid or citric acid"

"a person who can get very sick on 2mg of synthetic ascorbic acid can eat 4,000mg of natural ascorbic acid with no reaction at all"

ok, but is this then a brand thing?
maybe good brands are clean?

and maybe it’s alright when taken away from food. I don’t want to drink OJ with it ... I don’t want to drink OJ at all btw.

amd

Where do you get the idea that synthetic ascorbic acid is a brand thing?

All brands are synthetic and RP doesn't make a distinction between brands, but between natural and synthetic forms.

RP is talking about the synthetic form being irritating.

He even said that synthetic ascorbic acid and citric acid contain heavy metals.

Did you listen to the segment around 00:20:00?

Last edited: