Calcium and long-term memory

montmorency

I happen to be interested in learning languages, and on language forums and the like, the topic of memorisation and the role of the long-term memory often comes up.

I happened upon this article today:

Researchers Identify 'Switch' for Long-Term Memory

July 8, 2013 — Neurobiologists at Heidelberg University have identified calcium in the cell nucleus to be a cellular "switch" responsible for the formation of long-term memory.

Well well well: good old calcium, much mentioned by Ray Peat.

Assuming this really does apply to human beings as well (since the research was done on fruit flies), could perhaps memory loss and dementia in old age be related to either calcium deficiency, or some failure to properly make use of available calcium in the body?

Could calcium deficiency in younger people affect their memory and other mental function? Just speculation on my part, but an interesting thought.

Gabriel

I think there's a big difference between Calcium signalling dysfunction and dietary calcium. So a defective brain calcium signalling is not neccessarily related to not having enough dietary calcium. Notwithstanding, having sufficient calcium from di(et)ary (and not supplemental) sources appears to be good for health.

Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementation and Cognitive Impairment in the Women's Health Initiative
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 2/abstract

In this intervention trial, 1,000 mg of calcium carbonate + 400 IU of vitamin D3 supplement had no effect on cognition or incident dementia.