Calcium and long-term memory

montmorency

I happen to be interested in learning languages, and on language forums and the like, the topic of memorisation and the role of the long-term memory often comes up.

I happened upon this article today:

Researchers Identify 'Switch' for Long-Term Memory

July 8, 2013 — Neurobiologists at Heidelberg University have identified calcium in the cell nucleus to be a cellular "switch" responsible for the formation of long-term memory.

Well well well: good old calcium, much mentioned by Ray Peat.

Assuming this really does apply to human beings as well (since the research was done on fruit flies), could perhaps memory loss and dementia in old age be related to either calcium deficiency, or some failure to properly make use of available calcium in the body?

Could calcium deficiency in younger people affect their memory and other mental function? Just speculation on my part, but an interesting thought.

Gabriel

I think there's a big difference between Calcium signalling dysfunction and dietary calcium. So a defective brain calcium signalling is not neccessarily related to not having enough dietary calcium. Notwithstanding, having sufficient calcium from di(et)ary (and not supplemental) sources appears to be good for health.

Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementation and Cognitive Impairment in the Women's Health Initiative
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 2/abstract

In this intervention trial, 1,000 mg of calcium carbonate + 400 IU of vitamin D3 supplement had no effect on cognition or incident dementia.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Am I good to eat red meat with H63D gene as long as i donate blood, eat iron rich foods with calcium Minerals 0
jamies33 How Long Does It Take To See The Blood-calcium Lowering Effect Of High Dietary Calcium? Blood Work, Labs 6
mayweatherking How Long Does Calcium Stay High Enough In The Blood Before You Need A "refill"? Ask For Help or Advice 1
M Addressing Hair Loss and High Calcium Intake Hair & Nails 7
youngsinatra Can High Vitamin D Compensate Lower Dietary Calcium? Ask For Help or Advice 4
C Calcium and atherosclerosis Supplements 1
GelatinGoblin Which milk has the best Phosphorus to Calcium ratio? Dairy 29
J Eggshell as calcium acetate Eggs 3
M High calcium ? Ask For Help or Advice 0
RWilly A cautionary note for those drinking milk and using baking soda or calcium carbonate Milk 3
M How to find out if there’s too much calcium in my body? Ask For Help or Advice 3
S How much calcium is too little? Diet 9
RWilly Baking Powder - a surprising amount of calcium - high calcium to phosphorus ratio Miscellaneous Health Discussions 6
A Calcium supplementation Diet 12
md_a Elevation of intracellular calcium - Hair Loss Scientific Studies 1
S Thoughts on this sea calcium supplement? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Hgreen56 Does milk or calcium raise gaba? Milk 3
Jam Mortality From Coronavirus Disease 2019 Increases With Unsaturated Fat and May Be Reduced by Early Calcium and Albumin Supplementation Miscellaneous Health Discussions 3
R Milk for LPR (silent reflux)? Calcium? Milk 10
J Calcium and self harm Ask For Help or Advice 3
N Do you need extra calcium with high dose k2? K 16
V Strong improvement in chronic fatigue after eggshell calcium Calcium 15
S Dark urine from Calcium Carbonate? Ask For Help or Advice 0
M Supplement Calcium when PTH is low? Calcium 8
deliciousfruit pharmacist says to take thyroid on an empty stomach, and avoid calcium for 4 hours Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 3
Bogdar Low PTH, Low D, High Calcium - How Is It Possible? Blood Work, Labs 16
Velve921 Calcium Supplementation Supplements 4
G Calcium-Phosphorus Ratio In Animal Protein Sources: What To Choose? Diet 7
S Best Non Dairy And Non Supplement Ways To Get Calcium? Digestion 18
haidut PUFA Exacerbate, Saturated Fats (SFA) / Albumin / Calcium Ameliorate COVID-19 Scientific Studies 2
S Hypoparathyroid And High Blood Calcium? Blood Work, Labs 4
D Calcium Carbonate (Eggshell Calcium) Causes Flat Stools? Ask For Help or Advice 1
M Percentage Of Glycine In Chelated Calcium Ask For Help or Advice 1
Julian Calcium Sulfate Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 5
L What Causes/How To Heal Calcium Disregulation? Metabolism 13
N Bad Reaction To Traditional Food Market Whole Bone Calcium Supplement Diet 6
Ben Stone Calcium In Excess Of Seawater Ratio Dangerous Ray Peat Topics 28
BearWithMe My Body Doesn't Metabolise Calcium Properly And Nothing Seems To Help Ask For Help or Advice 45
L What Raises/Lowers Serum Calcium? Metabolism 4
J Calcium Hydroxyapatite/MCHA A Superior Form Of Calcium Minerals 3
J How To Reduce The Constipation Effect From Calcium Supplements Calcium 5
L Calcium Acetate From Eggshell Powder Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
wealthofwisdom Non-Milk Calcium Sources? Diet 14
Tristan Loscha Monocyte Mitochondrial Function In Calcium Oxalate Stone Formers Vegetables, Grains, Legumes, Fiber 1
A Calcium Alpha-ketoglutarate. A Calcium Supplement With Added Benefits? Calcium 31
J HIGH CALCIUM/PHOSPHORUS (Ca/P) RATIO Blood Work, Labs 0
J The Best Calcium Supplement Calcium 3
J Does The Positives Of A Calcium Supplement Outweigh The Negatives? Calcium 2
BearWithMe Hypercalcemia / High Blood Calcium: What Could Be The Cause? How To Treat? Ask For Help or Advice 1
M Low Potassium - Doesn't Calcium Lowers Potassium Ask For Help or Advice 10