haidut

Forum Supporter
Just like the other vitamin products we have released, this product does not really need any introduction to anybody familiar with Peat's work. So, unlike other products of ours, there won't be as many references listed in support of this product but I think even the few ones below are enough to give an idea about its properties. I listed some of the more notable ones, that emphasize the fact that cholecalciferol is actually a (seco)steroid (Secosteroid - Wikipedia), and as such it interacts with other known steroids Peat has written about. For example, vitamin D3 synergizes greatly with progesterone, androgens and DHEA. A few studies examines the affinity of vitamin D for the thyroid, androgen, estrogen, progesterone, and glucocorticoid receptors and found that it was as potent as the native ligands. At the glucocorticoid and estrogen receptors, vitamin D acted as an antagonist, while at the androgen receptor it has been shown to act as an agonist [1, 13]. Not surprising, considering that apparently vitamin D has progesterone-like hormonal effects [15], which may also explain its pro-metabolic effects. Both the "active" vitamin D calcitriol (1-25-OH) and the "inactive" precursor (25-OH) were found to have the same affinity for these receptors, so the talk about only calcitriol being the true vitamin D is nonsense (as Peat said as well).
vitamin_d_steroid_receptor_affinity.png

When combined with androgens like DHT or nandrolone, vitamin D greatly increased their anti-cancer and anabolic effects on muscle and bone while simultaneously protecting from the toxicities of high doses of such steroids [4, 5, 6, 7].
One of its most mysterious roles identified so far is the interaction with (and possible activation of) the anti-aging gene Klotho, which Peat mentioned quite a few times in his interviews.
Klotho (biology) - Wikipedia
Another hugely important role is the synergism of vitamin D with vitamin K in the synthesis of osteocalcin. Elevating the levels of osteocalcin has been shown to completely reverse the aging of muscle tissue, and possibly negate the age-associated loss of muscle mass. In addition, osteocalcin has been shown to reverse insulin resistance, restore proper steroid synthesis to youthful levels, and prevent the metabolic changes that occur in cells with aging and can lead to virtually all chronic conditions including cancer, diabetes, CVD, dementia, autoimmune conditions (MS, Lupus, RA) etc.
Osteocalcin - Wikipedia
Last but not least, blood levels of vitamin D are a good surrogate for thyroid function even in the presence of euthyroid biomarkers. Given the widespread prevalence of vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency in the population of most Western countries, I think everybody gets the idea of just how "healthy" people in developed countries currently are. In regards to those widespread deficiencies - a recent study found that the current official guidelines (RDA) for vitamin D supplementation are wrong due to a statistical mistake. As such, almost 9,000 IU (vs. the RDA of 400 IU) daily are needed as a supplement by adults to achieve the optimal blood vitamin D levels. The study also claims the warnings of side effects are unfounded due to the incorrect RDA and calls for medically unsupervised supplementation of 10,000 IU daily for adults and 3,000 IU daily for children older than 1.
The Big Vitamin D Mistake. - PubMed - NCBI

The name Calcirol is an old and seemingly forgotten synonym for cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), and it conveys well IMO the main properties of this chemical - i.e its role in calcium metabolism. The product can be ordered from the link below:
www.idealabsdc.com

Note: This product contains raw material(s) meant for external use only, in cosmetic or other formulations designed for such external use.

Calcirol contains the secosteroid cholecalciferol, also known as vitamin D3. Aside from its well-known role in calcium metabolism, this secosteroid has very important role in immune function, muscle health, stress adaptation (cortisol), anti-aging, sex steroid modulation, cardiovascular function, cognitive function, etc.

Drops per container: about 240
Each drop contains the following ingredients:

Vitamin D3: 1,000 IU

Other ingredients: add product to shopping cart to see info

References:
1. Vitamin D, the anabolic switch?
2. Plausible ergogenic effects of vitamin D on athletic performance and recovery
3. Vitamin K And D Reverse Muscle Aging, May Act Like Sports Doping Agents
4. Vitamin D Inhibits The Deactivation Of Androgens
5. Androgens (DHT, T) Treat Prostate Cancer, Especially When Combined With Vitamin D
6. Endocrine Press | Endocrine Society
7. OrgaNext Research: Addition of Vitamin D Improves Safety Profile of Nandrolone
8. http://www.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/jbjsbr/84-B/4/497.full.pdf
9. Vitamin D Reduces Cortisol In Humans By 40%
10. Vitamin D "as Good As Drugs" In Lowering Blood Pressure
11. Sunlight And Aspirin Can Treat Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
12. Vitamin D discovery outpaces FDA decision making. - PubMed - NCBI
"...During our molecular modeling of the actions of ARBs upon the nuclear receptors,(32) and our subsequent presentation to the FDA,(33) we were struck by the symmetry with which endogenous ligands exhibited very similar affinities across several members of the type 1 nuclear receptor family. For example, 1,25-D docked into the VDR with a (nanomolar) Kd of 8.48, but also exhibited a Kd of 8.12 into the glucocorticoid receptor (GR), 8.41 into the thyroid-alpha-1 receptor (ThRa) and 8.05 into the androgen receptor (AR) (all Kd values were computed using XSCORE(69,70)). Similar high affinities were found with 25-D, which yielded Kd values of 8.36, 8.17, 8.32 and 8.07, respectively. It would seem that activation of this subset of receptors is achieved by a delicate balance between the concentrations of a number of endogenous hormones."
13. Dysregulation of the vitamin D nuclear receptor may contribute to the higher prevalence of some autoimmune diseases in women. - PubMed - NCBI
14. Investigating Transdermal Delivery of Vitamin D3
"...Transdermal delivery of therapeutic amounts of vitamin D3 is proposed to overcome its variable oral bioavailability, especially for people who suffer from fat malabsorption. The main challenge for this delivery route is to overcome the barrier properties of skin, especially for very lipophilic compounds such as vitamin D3. In this study, the effect of different penetration enhancers, such as oleic acid, dodecylamine, ethanol, oleic acid in propylene glycol, isopropyl myristate, octyldodecanol, and oleyl alcohol in propylene glycol were evaluated in vitro for their effectiveness in delivering vitamin D3 through polyamide filter, polydimethylsiloxane membrane, and porcine skin. A diffusion cell was used to study the transdermal permeability of vitamin D3. Ointment formulations of vitamin D3 were prepared containing the most widely used penetration enhancers, oleic acid, and dodecylamine. The ointment containing oleic acid as chemical penetration enhancer did not improve delivery compared to control. On the other hand, the formulation containing dodecylamine as a penetration enhancer did improve the transdermal delivery of vitamin D3. However, statistical significance and an amount high enough for nutritional supplementation purposes were reached only when the skin was pretreated with 50% ethanol. In these conditions, the ointment delivered an amount of 760-ng vitamin D3 per cm2 of skin. The research shows promise that transdermal delivery could be an effective administration route for vitamin D3 when ethanol and dodecylamine are used as penetration enhancers."

"...Based on the recommended daily dose of vitamin D3 (400 IU or 10 μg) and the results of this study, delivery of the recommended daily dose could potentially be achieved by covering a surface of skin of 3.6 ×3.6 cm with vitamin D3 ointment containing both ethanol and dodecylamine. Although these results have only been demonstrated for porcine skin, it is possible that similar results will be obtained in vivo in humans since porcine skin is known to be the best alternative to human skin for in vitro testing of transdermal delivery. This research suggests that transdermal delivery could be an effective way for humans to receive the recommended daily dose of vitamin D3. Transdermal delivery of vitamin D3 could be especially helpful for people who suffer from fat malabsorption."
15. Vitamin D is hormone with progesterone-like activity.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...eroid_hormone_with_progesterone-like_activity
16. Vitamin D in Oxidative Stress and Diseases | IntechOpen
17. https://www.researchgate.net/public...ll_signalling_stability_in_health_and_disease

Last edited:

PhilParma

It's difficult to find a vitamin D supplement that isn't carried in oil, so I like this. I'm thinking that I will be adding some of this product to my homemade hair protection formula that I spray on my scalp throughout the day. Topical vitamin D without the oily mess; male pattern baldness folks should be happy about this. Just in time for winter too.

raypeatclips

@haidut

1. What are the benefits of this product being ethanol based, rather than oil based like most of the other D3 products on the market?

2. How does the ethanol (if at all) affect topically application of the vitamin?

3. Perhaps linked to 1. How would you expect someone that gets severe intestinal irritation from mct based fat soluble vitamins react to your ethanol based D3. Do you think SFA esters have a similar irritating potential as MCT oil?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Waynish

When using d3 topically, it seems best to act like 100% gets absorbed. I've heard various opinions on this, though. Thoughts?

GAF

I am excited to use this product. I have never felt anything from any D3 product in any dosage that I have tried over many years.

I plan to use for a while, then get a blood test.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut How do you take this? (Have you been taking this?) Any good things to report?

I take 5 drops topically together with any steroid I may use. Given that it uses the SFA esters + ethanol solvent I use it with a steroid dissolved in the same. I think it goes really well with any of the steroid product we have but the most notable effects I see in terms of synergy is with androsterone - i.e. when using Calcirol I seem to get the same effects from androsterone with like 1/2 to 1/3 of the normal dose I need to get those effects. As one of the studies in the references section says, it really potentiates the effects of other steroids and (one of) the proposed effects is increased receptor sensitization.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
before bed or in the morning ?

I think most vitamin D supplements are best taken in the morning as insomnia is a known side effect of doses higher than 2,000 IU.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
It's difficult to find a vitamin D supplement that isn't carried in oil, so I like this. I'm thinking that I will be adding some of this product to my homemade hair protection formula that I spray on my scalp throughout the day. Topical vitamin D without the oily mess; male pattern baldness folks should be happy about this. Just in time for winter too.

If you use any topical steroids, I suggest trying it with them. It seems to really potentiate the effects when both are taken topically.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

1. What are the benefits of this product being ethanol based, rather than oil based like most of the other D3 products on the market?

2. How does the ethanol (if at all) affect topically application of the vitamin?

3. Perhaps linked to 1. How would you expect someone that gets severe intestinal irritation from mct based fat soluble vitamins react to your ethanol based D3. Do you think SFA esters have a similar irritating potential as MCT oil?

Thanks.

I am hoping it will have better topical absorption then the oil-based products but we won't know until people use it and do blood tests. As Peat said, many people who have even a slight overweight condition have trouble raising blood vitamin D levels with oral supplements. So, if the topical absorption of this is way over 30% as studies seem to suggest, then it could be a viable way to raise blood vitamin D levels for many people who struggle with high oral doses vitamin D due to side effects or toxicity symptoms.
As far as irritation, I think topically this should cause none.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
When using d3 topically, it seems best to act like 100% gets absorbed. I've heard various opinions on this, though. Thoughts?

Not sure what exactly is your question. Can you clarify please?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am excited to use this product. I have never felt anything from any D3 product in any dosage that I have tried over many years.

I plan to use for a while, then get a blood test.

Excellent, please do. That is one of the main goals of releasing this - i.e hopefully address the poor effectiveness of raising vitamin D levels when using high oral doses of vitamin D. Peat said most people struggle to raise their levels due to extra fat tissue and elevated estrogen.

CoconutEffect

I take 5 drops topically together with any steroid I may use. Given that it uses the SFA esters + ethanol solvent I use it with a steroid dissolved in the same. I think it goes really well with any of the steroid product we have but the most notable effects I see in terms of synergy is with androsterone - i.e. when using Calcirol I seem to get the same effects from androsterone with like 1/2 to 1/3 of the normal dose I need to get those effects. As one of the studies in the references section says, it really potentiates the effects of other steroids and (one of) the proposed effects is increased receptor sensitization.

Great I look forward to trying this. I have been able to raise my Vit D levels rapidly almost to 90 with (and I have little respect for this man) Dr. Mercola's Vit D sublingual spray. However, I have never noticed any subjective benefit.
@haidut any idea why this might be so?

ubiety

Does one also need to increase Magnesium intake when taking D, and if so is there an optimal ratio?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Great I look forward to trying this. I have been able to raise my Vit D levels rapidly almost to 90 with (and I have little respect for this man) Dr. Mercola's Vit D sublingual spray. However, I have never noticed any subjective benefit.
@haidut any idea why this might be so?

I think the most pronounced effects are seen by people who were deficient to start with. If your normal levels were around 40-50 they are probably already optimal so raising to 90 may not add much. Also, without knowing your calcitriol, PTH, phosphorus and prolactin in addition to your 25-OH vitamin D it is hard to say what your true systemic vitamin D signalling is.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does one also need to increase Magnesium intake when taking D, and if so is there an optimal ratio?

Magnesium certainly synergizes with vitamin D. I don't know of an optimal ratio but shooting for at least 200mg magnesium daily is wise for anybody, regardless of vitamin D supplementation.

CoconutEffect

Magnesium certainly synergizes with vitamin D. I don't know of an optimal ratio but shooting for at least 200mg magnesium daily is wise for anybody, regardless of vitamin D supplementation.
I’m sure you’ve answered this before, but until you come out with Magnesium product; do you recommend Magnesium Glycinate?