Caffeine To Sugar Ratio

Ulysses

Ray Peat often writes about how adequate sugar must be provided for the body to complete certain digestive and metabolic processes. For example, he says somewhere that for every egg one eats, it's a good idea to drink at least eight ounces of orange juice, because the protein in the eggs will cause an insulin response that will lower blood sugar unless additional sugar is supplied.

When it comes to drinking coffee, what is a good rule of thumb? I.e. if I'm drinking two cups of black drip coffee on an empty stomach, with no other food or drink, how much table sugar should I add in order to prevent it from causing a blood sugar problem or a stress response?

A good rule of thumb is whether you're in the mood for more coffee or not. This often coincides with how much ***t one needs to get done:D

Herbie

I remember Ray saying something along the lines of if you get an adrenaline response from coffee to add sugar until no longer getting adrenaline response.

Vinero

I would never drink coffee on an empty stomach.
Always right after a meal or when you are still satisfied from your last meal.
You want caffeine to work as thyroid, not as adrenaline.
I take 200 mg of caffeine with 30 gram of sugar.

sladerunner69

Ray Peat often writes about how adequate sugar must be provided for the body to complete certain digestive and metabolic processes. For example, he says somewhere that for every egg one eats, it's a good idea to drink at least eight ounces of orange juice, because the protein in the eggs will cause an insulin response that will lower blood sugar unless additional sugar is supplied.

When it comes to drinking coffee, what is a good rule of thumb? I.e. if I'm drinking two cups of black drip coffee on an empty stomach, with no other food or drink, how much table sugar should I add in order to prevent it from causing a blood sugar problem or a stress response?

If I recall correctly, he stated that black coffee after a meal is fine. Drinking coffee in between other foods he says he will add 5 or more tsp of pure white sugar to 8 oz of very dark, "opaque" coffee which he brews himself in a chemex. He will also add half & half and sometimes gelatin.

Another user posted a study which claimed that a single 6 oz cup of coffee will clear 50g of sugar... Personally I don't necessarily feel I need that much, but I am pretty much constantly drinking orange juice or milk, or eating fruit.

OP
Ulysses

Ulysses

Another user posted a study which claimed that a single 6 oz cup of coffee will clear 50g of sugar... Personally I don't necessarily feel I need that much, but I am pretty much constantly drinking orange juice or milk, or eating fruit.
Intuitively this feels right to me. I tried searching for this and couldn’t find it, so I would be indebted to any other user that could dig it up for me.

Syncopated

Ray Peat often writes about how adequate sugar must be provided for the body to complete certain digestive and metabolic processes. For example, he says somewhere that for every egg one eats, it's a good idea to drink at least eight ounces of orange juice, because the protein in the eggs will cause an insulin response that will lower... [\QUOTE]

The potassium in the orange juice is required for optimal insulin function. Raw egg whites blended with orange juice and a tablet or two of caffeine is better than coffee.
Avoid the yolks.

Syncopated

The potassium in the orange juice is required for optimal insulin function. Raw egg whites blended with orange juice and a tablet or two of caffeine is better than coffee.
Avoid the yolks.

gaze

i personally like around 35-40g of sugar per cup, but i use honey and milk as opposed to white sugar so the protein in milk is also slowing the caffeine absorbtion.

stargazer1111

i personally like around 35-40g of sugar per cup, but i use honey and milk as opposed to white sugar so the protein in milk is also slowing the caffeine absorbtion.

This is about what I get with each meal/glass of milk (in addition to the lactose). I get about 40 grams of sugar from juice/soda when I eat meat. I get about 36 grams of table sugar with each glass of milk. Less, and I feel stressed. More, and I feel sick, like I just had too much.

hierundjetzt

I remember Ray saying something along the lines of if you get an adrenaline response from coffee to add sugar until no longer getting adrenaline response.
How is this even possible? Others claim that ray only gets his sugars from fruit and eats zero refined sugar...I'm confused

SamYo123

The amount of milk use in a coffee isnt anymore than like 2g protien lol

Herbie

How is this even possible? Others claim that ray only gets his sugars from fruit and eats zero refined sugar...I'm confused
He doesn’t directly say it because he doesn’t want any unwanted attention as you can imagine in the current times. it’s like this with many things he writes or talks about, one has to read between the lines and get the hints. One time Danny Roddy directly asked him about cane sugar, he said something like sugar can save a persons life when they are near death and lowers stress. He also said it’s good but lacks nutrients but if one has a nutritious diet, it’s ok and that white sugar is the least allergenic, the cleanest as apposed to brown sugar, maple syrup, coconut sugar, molasses.

He’s known to drink Mexican Coca Cola, eat ice cream but if you didn’t want to use beet sugar or cane sugar, have orange juice with your coffee for the sugar from the orange.

Last edited:

hierundjetzt

He doesn’t directly say it because he doesn’t want any unwanted attention as you can imagine in the current times. it’s like this with many things he writes or talks about, one has to read between the lines and get the hints. One time Danny Roddy directly asked him about cane sugar, he said something like sugar can save a persons life when they are near death and lowers stress. He also said it’s good but lacks nutrients but if one has a nutritious diet, it’s ok and that white sugar is the least allergenic, the cleanest as apposed to brown sugar, maple syrup, coconut sugar, molasses.

He’s known to drink Mexican Coca Cola, eat ice cream but if you didn’t want to use beet sugar or cane sugar, have orange juice with your coffee for the sugar from the orange.
Ok thanks for explaining. I thank i understand now!

Herbie

Ok thanks for explaining. I thank i understand now!
I’ll add that he will always prefer and encourage fruit over sugar, has said he drinks coke when the oranges are out of season. He says a lot of this thing on the east west healing interviews with Josh Rubin which can be found on the Ray Peat master list on functionalps website.

SamYo123

I’ll add that he will always prefer and encourage fruit over sugar, has said he drinks coke when the oranges are out of season. He says a lot of this thing on the east west healing interviews with Josh Rubin which can be found on the Ray Peat master list on functionalps website.
What about the fibers of the fruit?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals