Caffeine Reduces Fatty Liver But Increases FFA

Gl;itch.e

Over the last year I've dropped some weight, from 201 to 187. I'm 5'11". Now that I'm slimmer, I can see that while I'm less doughy, I've lost a good bit of muscle tone in recent years. Such are the pitfalls of being a guy at 52 with low T, I suppose.:neutral:
What did you implement in order to lose that weight? What is your current diet and exercise routine like?

Feel free to private message me if you like. Happy to help where I can.

lvysaur

coffee is very different from caffeine.

I have noticed symptoms from both normal and DECAF coffee that I do not get with tea. One of the main ones is a subtle feeling of pressure in the eye.

Decaf coffee is known to raise homocysteine, pure caffeine does not.

brocktoon

Also, what dose Vitamin E did you try? There's a study floating around, or maybe an anecdotal story, about someone using 800 IU a day for 6 months and completely reversing fatty liver
Yes, I think you're talking about the study haidut recently posted regarding E. I have my doubts about its efficacy in terms of greatly de-fatting the liver, based on my recent experience. I do think it can mitigate liver damage as measured by enzymes. It may be anti-fibrotic insofar as NASH goes.

OP
maillol

maillol

Do you think vitamin E would be a good idea in combination with caffeine? The caffeine releasing the fat from the liver and the vitamin E to mitigate any negatives of the FFA. I don't fully understand what vitamin E does with FFA but I gather it's good (can anyone explain it to me?).

brocktoon

Do you think vitamin E would be a good idea in combination with caffeine? The caffeine releasing the fat from the liver and the vitamin E to mitigate any negatives of the FFA. I don't fully understand what vitamin E does with FFA but I gather it's good (can anyone explain it to me?).
I think mixed tocopherol vitamin E or E succinate should be in most anti-fatty liver regimens. I alternate between these types and alternate between daily doses of 400 and 800 IU. Re: the FFA, I spread 500 mg of niacinamide throughout the day at meal/snack time.

OP
maillol

maillol

Caffeine Stimulates Hepatic Lipid Metabolism by the Autophagy-Lysosomal Pathway in Mice

Error - Cookies Turned Off

"These results provide novel insight into caffeine’s lipolytic actions through autophagy in mammalian liver and its potential beneficial effects in NAFLD."

success23

I will start to take folate + choline tomorrow for my fatty liver

Short-term Nutritional Folate Deficiency in Rats Has a Greater Effect on Choline and Acetylcholine Metabolism in the Peripheral Nervous System Than in the Brain, and This Effect Escalates With Age - PubMed
"Folate-deficient diet consumption resulted in depletion of plasma folate in both age groups. In young folate-deficient rats, liver and lung choline levels were significantly lower than those in the respective controls."

Severe Folate Deficiency Causes Secondary Depletion of Choline and Phosphocholine in Rat Liver - PubMed
"It has previously been shown that choline deficiency causes depletion of hepatic folate concentration in rats....These results indicate that severe folate deficiency causes secondary hepatic choline deficiency in rats."

J

jb116

Short-term Nutritional Folate Deficiency in Rats Has a Greater Effect on Choline and Acetylcholine Metabolism in the Peripheral Nervous System Than in the Brain, and This Effect Escalates With Age - PubMed
"Folate-deficient diet consumption resulted in depletion of plasma folate in both age groups. In young folate-deficient rats, liver and lung choline levels were significantly lower than those in the respective controls."

Severe Folate Deficiency Causes Secondary Depletion of Choline and Phosphocholine in Rat Liver - PubMed
"It has previously been shown that choline deficiency causes depletion of hepatic folate concentration in rats....These results indicate that severe folate deficiency causes secondary hepatic choline deficiency in rats."
Liver and eggs FTW

Waynish

Maybe it is defensive effort by the body and that is why people do better when adding extra SFAs to their coffee: butter/coconut oil "bulletproof" coffee.

redsun

If not already, protein in the diet should be particularly high. Meat proteins are higher in glycine, protective minerals such as zinc and copper that help against reversing NAFLD. If you incorporate liver into the diet regularly if you haven't already, this will also help the process immensely. Nothing better for your liver than to actually eat liver.

success23

If not already, protein in the diet should be particularly high. Meat proteins are higher in glycine, protective minerals such as zinc and copper that help against reversing NAFLD. If you incorporate liver into the diet regularly if you haven't already, this will also help the process immensely. Nothing better for your liver than to actually eat liver.

Thank you for the advice.
I wonder if fatty liver can cause abdominal bloating.

rei

From what I read about PUFA and sugar, it's not possible for fatty liver to progress into fibrosis unless you have inflammation( PUFA) in the liver. So, if the fat in your liver is saturated or monounsaturated, then it won't get worse. There was a study on rats which showed that even if they fed enough sucrose to fatten up the rat's liver, it would still show no signs of increased inflammation( the fats that we produce from sugar are palmitic acid and oleic acid).

What has your diet been like?

Perhaps using caffeine to release fat from the liver, then waiting a while then using niacinamide to push the fat into the fat tissues is a good idea. If the FFAs are PUFA and they stay in the blood for a long time, they will cause damage.
Do you have sources for the relative distribution in produced fatty acids? Could it be said that the body preferentially stores C16 so it stays liquid, and then elongates to C17 and longer when needed for structure/function?

dukesbobby777

I have a fatty liver. Over the last year, I was able to lower my high liver enzymes by trying K2, caffeine and (perhaps most effectively) dry vitamin E succinate. That said, after a year I had another MRI and a FibroScan, only to find that despite the lowered enzymes my liver was still chock full of fat. No sign of fibrosis (yet), which is good, but my battle with NAFLD has been such a frustrating one.

Did you ever improve your liver fat issue?

brocktoon

Did you ever improve your liver fat issue?
I improved it to a fair degree, yes. Reducing my liver enzyme numbers and keeping them down was not insignificant. I may have retained liver fat, but I believe I have a greater ability to store glycogen in my liver and I can ingest a lot of caffeine without a stress reaction.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals