Caffeine protects against breast cancer by lowering estrogen

haidut

Forum Supporter
Given the studies I posted on caffeine increasing testosterone, DHT, pregnenolone and progesterone this study is not very surprising but it helps to see that caffeine is directly anti-estrogenic in human tissues.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/21/8/1877

"...Moderate (2–4 cups/day) to high (≥5 cups/day) coffee intake was associated with smaller invasive primary tumors (Ptrend = 0.013) and lower proportion of ER+ tumors (Ptrend = 0.018), compared with patients with low consumption (≤1 cup/day). Moderate to high consumption was associated with lower risk for breast cancer events in tamoxifen-treated patients with ER+ tumors (adjusted HR, 0.51; 95% confidence interval, 0.26–0.97). Caffeine and caffeic acid suppressed the growth of ER+ (P ≤ 0.01) and ER− (P ≤ 0.03) cells. Caffeine significantly reduced ER and cyclin D1 abundance in ER+ cells. Caffeine also reduced the insulin-like growth factor-I receptor (IGFIR) and pAkt levels in both ER+ and ER− cells. Together, these effects resulted in impaired cell-cycle progression and enhanced cell death."

BobbyDukes

When they say 'high', does that mean no upper limit? Would constantly upping caffeine have greater anti-estrogenic effects, in your general view? I think 600mg is pretty much my limit,each day. I'm amazed how RP can go through 1200mg in coffee. That guy is hardcore!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
BobbyDukes said:
When they say 'high', does that mean no upper limit? Would constantly upping caffeine have greater anti-estrogenic effects, in your general view? I think 600mg is pretty much my limit,each day. I'm amazed how RP can go through 1200mg in coffee. That guy is hardcore!

I posted a study showing that caffeine at human doses of 600mg per day has a maximum effect on allopregnanolone but progesterone kept increasing with dosage. So, it looks like the more caffeine you ingest the more progesterone you make and more anti-estrogenic the effect. However, at higher doses caffeine also inhibits DHT and testosterone synthesis so there is probably a sweet spot and most studies show 100mg/kg daily in rats to be optimal. This translates to about 1,200mg - 1,400mg daily for a human. The study comparing caffeine to DNP, the in vitro dosage used was also in the range 1,200mg - 1,600mg.

ThunderSpank

haidut said:
post 77702
BobbyDukes said:

I posted a study showing that caffeine at human doses of 600mg per day has a maximum effect on allopregnanolone but progesterone kept increasing with dosage. So, it looks like the more caffeine you ingest the more progesterone you make and more anti-estrogenic the effect. However, at higher doses caffeine also inhibits DHT and testosterone synthesis so there is probably a sweet spot and most studies show 100mg/kg daily in rats to be optimal. This translates to about 1,200mg - 1,400mg daily for a human. The study comparing caffeine to DNP, the in vitro dosage used was also in the range 1,200mg - 1,600mg.

At about how many mg of caffeine daily do you think it would start inhibiting DHT for a 180lb male? I've been wanting to try higher than the 2-4mg per kilo that you said was optimal for DHT but will more than 4mg per kilo negatively affect DHT do you think? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
ThunderSpank said:
post 110232
haidut said:
post 77702
BobbyDukes said:

At about how many mg of caffeine daily do you think it would start inhibiting DHT for a 180lb male? I've been wanting to try higher than the 2-4mg per kilo that you said was optimal for DHT but will more than 4mg per kilo negatively affect DHT do you think? Thanks!

I don't know that caffeine inhibits DHT actually. If it does at all it would be through its progesterone boosting effects. If caffeine was anti-androgenic somehow in high doses people would have reported issues with libido and erections and this has not happened so far. So, I think you can take as much as you can handle without giving you a stress response.

ThunderSpank

haidut said:
post 110235
ThunderSpank said:
post 110232
haidut said:
post 77702
BobbyDukes said:

I don't know that caffeine inhibits DHT actually. If it does at all it would be through its progesterone boosting effects. If caffeine was anti-androgenic somehow in high doses people would have reported issues with libido and erections and this has not happened so far. So, I think you can take as much as you can handle without giving you a stress response.

Sounds good! Thank you very much!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals