Caffeine More Rapid Cmv Replication

dookie

Seems like a convoluted, useless study. First thing to keep in mind that it was done in cultures. Then there are statements like this:

"Caffeine increased the infectivity of CMV irradiated with lowest UV dose (3,120 erg/mm2) but did not increase the infectivity of virus irradiated with 12,480 erg/mm2. Multiplicity reactivation of the UV-irradiated CMV was inhibited by caffeine regardless of the UV dose with which the virus was irradiated."

So in some situations, in a culture dish, caffeine does some thing to a virus, while in other situations it doesn't.

I also think it's important to keep in mind that mainstream science don't really seem to understand the nature of viruses in general, further adding weight to the idea that this study isn't very useful, when it comes to studying the health effects of caffeine in humans

Tarmander

Well, you should be deciding about that I'm afraid...

I think he did decide...he decided it was not useful and was inquiring on how it might be useful. I'm afraid I'm in the same boat. What am I supposed to be seeing here from this study?

OP
S
Other mTOR inhibitors seem to be able to inhibit CMV replication but caffeine does the opposite? There's something else such as messing with chromatin structure.

OP
S
What :tearsofjoy: this is a fundamental difference between caffeine and resveratrol, for example. But yall want a politic-style disneyland of answers instead of interesting speculation :pompous:

Lightbringer

What :tearsofjoy: this is a fundamental difference between caffeine and resveratrol, for example. But yall want a politic-style disneyland of answers instead of interesting speculation :pompous:
Ohh don't get me wrong. I love interesting speculation - as long as I can understand whats going on :D

Parsifal

So what is the difference between caffeine and resveratrol with mTOR? What is mTOR supposed to do?

By the way Such, I love your style, don't let these right-brained cortical people tell you how you should speak or think :D!

OP
S
So what is the difference between caffeine and resveratrol with mTOR? What is mTOR supposed to do?

By the way Such, I love your style, don't let these right-brained cortical people tell you how you should speak or think :D!

MTOR helps the cell gauge nutritional context, stress, etc. and I think caffeine is different from resveratrol, rapamycin, etc. in that it is simulating caloric restriction by actually increasing the energy demands of the cell.

Hugh Johnson

"Besides, some natural products, such as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), caffeine, curcumin and resveratrol, have been found to inhibit mTOR as well."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20812900

"Inhibition of PIKKs and hChk1 activities by caffeine. Immune complex kinase assays for ATM (A), ATR (B), mTOR (C), DNA-PK (D), and hChk1"

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/59/17/4375.full#F2

I'm not sure about this. mTOR seems to be inhibited by caffeine, like it is by those other substances. Could be contextual with caffeine subjects having insufficent energy, though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals