Caffeine Is A Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another point for caffeine, even though the reported effectiveness is weak. I always wondered why I seemed to get similar effects on breathing (shallower and more efficient) form caffeine and acetazolamide.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21612376

"...Caffeine and piperine were extracted and tested for inhibition of the human (h) cytosolic isoforms hCA I and II. The IC(50) values of caffeine against hCA I was of 55 mM, whereas that of piperine of 60 mM. The IC(50) values of caffeine and piperine against hCA II were of 2 mM. Although these are quite weak inhibitors they may constitute leads for developing tighter binding compounds."

It is probably worth a try to do a brown bag breathing after caffeine ingestion, or combine caffeine with acetazolamide, or pomegranate. Pomegaranate has several compounds that are quite potent carbonic anhydrase inhibitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_a ... _inhibitor

"...Ellagitannins extracted from the pericarps of Punica granatum, the pomegranate, such as punicalin, punicalagin, granatin B, gallagyldilactone, casuarinin, pedunculagin and tellimagrandin I, are highly active carbonic anhydrase inhibitors."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8220326

aguilaroja

Interesting.

I have steered away from pomegranates after reading Dr.Peat, since the seeds ares so plentiful. I have never juiced them myself but when I have seen them juiced, it seems some of the seed material gets mixed in.

I am ignorant about the safety and utility of Ellagitannins, and the helpfulness beyond the hype about pomegranates. I wonder if the carbonic anhydrase inhibitor effect of caffeine is part of the known diuretic effect of coffee.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
aguilaroja said:
Interesting.

I have steered away from pomegranates after reading Dr.Peat, since the seeds ares so plentiful. I have never juiced them myself but when I have seen them juiced, it seems some of the seed material gets mixed in.

I am ignorant about the safety and utility of Ellagitannins, and the helpfulness beyond the hype about pomegranates. I wonder if the carbonic anhydrase inhibitor effect of caffeine is part of the known diuretic effect of coffee.

The good news is that the pericarp is not the seeds, so pomegranate juice should have those compounds in abundance. That may explain the anti-cancer effect attributed to pomegranate.
As far as caffeine - I think I did see a study saying that said caffeine is a diuretic b/c it speeds up the metabolism of sugar and anything that lowers blood sugar acts like a duiretic.

aguilaroja

haidut said:
....As far as caffeine - I think I did see a study saying that said caffeine is a diuretic b/c it speeds up the metabolism of sugar and anything that lowers blood sugar acts like a duiretic.

Despite the "common" "knowledge" that caffeine is a diuretic, the "mechanism" and "context" of its diuretic actions do not seem to be well characterized. There's conjecture about caffeine being chronically "dehydrating" which does not seem to hold up to scrutiny. There are observations, for instance, about the adenosine effect (including the methylxanthine influence) on the kidney, and on the kidney via the liver.

I have not seen the carbonic anhydrase inhibitor function of caffeine mentioned in the caffeine diuretic discussions. A mild widespread increase in tissue CO2 availability itself will have numerous effects. As an aspiring Peat student, it seems that restorative agents have wide contexts whose functions get unhelpfully reduced in "scientific" discussions. So aspirin, for instance, becomes a "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug", and, by the way, a quaint old one.

Preaching to the choir here, excuse me.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21076499
Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2010 Nov;88(11):1115-21. doi: 10.1139/y10-090.
Caffeine-induced natriuresis and diuresis via blockade of hepatic adenosine-mediated sensory nerves and a hepatorenal reflex. Ming Z1, Lautt WW.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20859805
Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2011;(200):391-412. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-13443-2_15.
Methylxanthines and the kidney. Osswald H1, Schnermann J.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20693584
Indian J Med Res. 2010 Jul;132:11-3.
Myth buster: caffeine does not exhibit a diuretic effect during exercise performance.
Greer F.Comment on
• Effects of acute supplementation of caffeine on cardiorespiratory responses during endurance running in a hot & humid climate. [Indian J Med Res. 2010]

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559762_2
Caffeine, Fluid-Electrolyte Balance, Temperature Regulation, and Exercise-Heat Tolerance
Lawrence E. Armstrong, Douglas J. Casa, Carl M. Maresh, Matthew S. Ganio
Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2007;35(3):135-140. 

paymanz

this enzyme carbonic anhydrase converts co2 to bicarbonate.and ray recommends baking soda to increase co2, if i remember correctly.

also there is other people who recommend baking soda for cancer.

how it can increase co2 level in body , are co2 and bicarbonate interchangeable?! or maybe baking soda downregulates carbonic anhydrase and spares co2?!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
this enzyme carbonic anhydrase converts co2 to bicarbonate.and ray recommends baking soda to increase co2, if i remember correctly.

also there is other people who recommend baking soda for cancer.

how it can increase co2 level in body , are co2 and bicarbonate interchangeable?! or maybe baking soda downregulates carbonic anhydrase and spares co2?!

I think baking soda neutralizes lactic acid, which allows for more CO2 to be formed. The sodium in it also has pro-metabolic effects.

paymanz

Alkalinity vs Acidity 2012, KMUD : The Herb Doctors
ray peat said:
Taking sodium bicarbonate, for example, will actually acidify cells that are in need of more carbon dioxide because when the bicarbonate has been deficient and a cell is exposed to the bicarbonate it will convert it into the acidic carbon dioxide and be able to lower its pH even though you've taken the alkaline baking soda.

Anyone has idea on whats the mechanism of converdion of bicarbonate to co2?

paymanz

Alkalinity vs Acidity 2012, KMUD : The Herb Doctors

Anyone has idea on whats the mechanism of converdion of bicarbonate to co2?
When you take baking soda and increase alkalinity of blood beyond normal range, your kidneys release some of it in urine, in the same time it release some hydrogen ions into blood stream. Bicarbonates absorb the hydrogen to form carbonic acid.

At least one mechanism for baking soda being converted to co2 is this.

But I don't know if ray has this mechanism or other one I his mind when he did above quote.

--------

Another mechanism simply is that bicarbonate lowers breathing rate because of high ph in blood, hence retaining more co2.

Last edited:

paymanz

When you take baking soda and increase alkalinity of blood beyond normal range, your kidneys release some of it in urine, in the same time it release some hydrogen ions into blood stream. Bicarbonates absorb the hydrogen to form carbonic acid.

At least one mechanism for baking soda being converted to co2 is this.

But I don't know if ray has this mechanism or other one I his mind when he did above quote.
------------------

And also there is Equilibrium law , there is a maximum solubility of co2 as carbonic acid, when you ingesting bicarbonates the carbonic acid loss its tendency to lose hydrogen and form bicarbonate, so you have carbonic acid dissolved in blood ,which prevents co2 from dissolving in blood.

--------

Another mechanism for increasing co2, according to this,
Absorption of Bicarbonate Ions in the Duodenum and Jejunum - Medical Physiology
Often large quantities of bicarbonate ions must be reabsorbed from the upper small intestine because large amounts of bicarbonate ions have been secreted into the duodenum in both pancreatic secretion and bile. The bicarbonate ion is absorbed in an indirect way as follows: When sodium ions are absorbed, moderate amounts of hydrogen ions are secreted into the lumen of the gut in exchange for some of the sodium. These hydrogen ions in turn combine with the bicarbonate ions to form carbonic acid (H2CO3), which then dissociates to form water and carbon dioxide. The water remains as part of the chyme in the intestines, but the carbon dioxide is readily absorbed into the blood and subsequently expired through the lungs. Thus, this is so-called "active absorption of bicarbonate ions." It is the same mechanism that occurs in the tubules of the kidneys.

Last edited:

Dr. B

Another point for caffeine, even though the reported effectiveness is weak. I always wondered why I seemed to get similar effects on breathing (shallower and more efficient) form caffeine and acetazolamide.

Carbonic anhydrase I and II inhibition with natural products: caffeine and piperine - PubMed

"...Caffeine and piperine were extracted and tested for inhibition of the human (h) cytosolic isoforms hCA I and II. The IC(50) values of caffeine against hCA I was of 55 mM, whereas that of piperine of 60 mM. The IC(50) values of caffeine and piperine against hCA II were of 2 mM. Although these are quite weak inhibitors they may constitute leads for developing tighter binding compounds."

It is probably worth a try to do a brown bag breathing after caffeine ingestion, or combine caffeine with acetazolamide, or pomegranate. Pomegaranate has several compounds that are quite potent carbonic anhydrase inhibitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_a ... _inhibitor

"...Ellagitannins extracted from the pericarps of Punica granatum, the pomegranate, such as punicalin, punicalagin, granatin B, gallagyldilactone, casuarinin, pedunculagin and tellimagrandin I, are highly active carbonic anhydrase inhibitors."

Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors from the pericarps of Punica granatum L - PubMed
mate I was gonna make another thread for pomegranate, posting the same wikipedia stuff, as i didnt see any titles regarding it. my concern is, why is this listed as one of the side effects Stevens–Johnson syndrome - Wikipedia

also does pomegranate juice work, how much pomegranate juice or supplements are needed, life extension sells some pomegranate extract products. its interesting pomegranate does this stuff. seems a good natural and effective option.

Dr. B

Interesting.

The good news is that the pericarp is not the seeds, so pomegranate juice should have those compounds in abundance. That may explain the anti-cancer effect attributed to pomegranate.
As far as caffeine - I think I did see a study saying that said caffeine is a diuretic b/c it speeds up the metabolism of sugar and anything that lowers blood sugar acts like a duiretic.

doesnt olive leaf extract,
activated charcoal
and chromium
all lower blood sugar?
@Amazoniac @Hans
you may be interested in this, got it from life extensions. is it worth using a pomegranate juice or supplement capsule,
and what about green tea extract... it may be a CA inhibitor, but isnt it also a 5 AR inhibitor...

The actives of pomegranate that have been shown to inhibit carbonic anhydrase are the ellagitannins. Ellagitannins are primarily found in the fruit part of the pomegranate. Our Pomegranate Fruit Extract would be our suggestion in this case over our Pomegranate Complete. The Pomegranate Fruit Extract contains two fruit extracts and is specified to provide punicalagins, a specific type of ellagitannin. The seed oil used in our Pomegranate Complete is specified to provide punicic acid, which is a fatty acid and not an ellagitannin. We apologize; the final products we offer containing pomegranate are not organic. For your reference, here are links to the product description and a study:

Catechins such as those found in green tea have been shown to inhibit carbonic anhydrase. Our Decaffeinated Mega Green Tea Extract provides a high amount of catechins. Rosmarinic acid has also been shown to inhibit carbonic anhydrase. Our FOCUS TEA™ provides a high concentration of rosmarinic acid. Here are links to the product descriptions and studies:

Dr. B

doesnt olive leaf extract,
activated charcoal
and chromium
all lower blood sugar?
@Amazoniac @Hans
you may be interested in this, got it from life extensions. is it worth using a pomegranate juice or supplement capsule,
and what about green tea extract... it may be a CA inhibitor, but isnt it also a 5 AR inhibitor...

The actives of pomegranate that have been shown to inhibit carbonic anhydrase are the ellagitannins. Ellagitannins are primarily found in the fruit part of the pomegranate. Our Pomegranate Fruit Extract would be our suggestion in this case over our Pomegranate Complete. The Pomegranate Fruit Extract contains two fruit extracts and is specified to provide punicalagins, a specific type of ellagitannin. The seed oil used in our Pomegranate Complete is specified to provide punicic acid, which is a fatty acid and not an ellagitannin. We apologize; the final products we offer containing pomegranate are not organic. For your reference, here are links to the product description and a study:

Catechins such as those found in green tea have been shown to inhibit carbonic anhydrase. Our Decaffeinated Mega Green Tea Extract provides a high amount of catechins. Rosmarinic acid has also been shown to inhibit carbonic anhydrase. Our FOCUS TEA™ provides a high concentration of rosmarinic acid. Here are links to the product descriptions and studies:

@Mauritio

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom