Caffeine Increases Autophagy

Kasper

I think this is a very interesting article:
http://www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/2013 ... s-aging-2/

It talks about possible health benefits of caffeine by increasing autophagy. I've heard many good things about autophagy, but not really from Ray Peat. I wonder what you guys think about this.

A couple of quotes to put this article in a Ray Peat context:

Sunlight, Vitamin D and Klotho activate Autophagy – there are three ways through which UV light, Vitamin D, and the Klotho pathway activate autophagy via inhibiting the insulin/IGF-1 pathway
Caffeine activates Autophagy – Caffeine can activate autophagy via an mTOR-dependent mechanism
Green tea activates Autophagy – ECGC can activate autophagy via an mTOR-dependent mechanism
With aging, there is a decline in energy production by the cells. This may be one of the reasons for the decline in autophagy seen in aging.
Autophagy decline probably also results in energy (ATP production) decline.

NathanK

Interesting article. Sounds like the "hack" to increasing autophagy is to increase stress. Hypoxia is another way of increasing autophagy along with resveratrol, metformin, and a ketogenic diet (I believe).

I wonder if keeping your mitochondria healthy in the first place then you might be able to allay autophagy decline as we age and not need any "hacks". Not sure what comes first, the decline of autophagy or energy. They probably go hand in hand.

I wonder if this is what Ray meant when he said many of the benefits of fasting/calorie restriction can be found by limiting methyl donors. Maybe by limiting those it increases autophagy as well.

EDIT: I see now. His foundation of anti aging can be summed up in this quote. He wants stress. But not to the point of excess distress. I think there's definitely something to be said about it" "...“Longevity is correlated with having and meeting a healthy level of challenge – not too little and not too much stress.” A later 2009 blog entry Hormesis and age retardation started out by saying “An important approach to retarding aging that I have not discussed explicitly so far is hormesis, challenging cells and body systems by mild stress resulting in them becoming stronger and resistant to aging(ref). The stress can be physical, chemical and even possibly psychological.”"

It's also an interesting article and explains more the rationale of hypoxia, etc: http://www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/2012 ... longevity/

NathanK

This was interesting too:
"The relationship of autophagy decline to hallmarks of aging has been known for a long time and have been best studied in liver cells. The auto florescent protein lipofuscin is the oldest and simplest biomarker of declining autophagy and represents undigested material inside of cells. The Lewy bodies seen in several neurodegenerative diseases (including “Parkinson’s disease with dementia”) are also biomarkers of declining autophagy and may specifically be due to “declining mitophagy”."

He remarks elsewhere that some of the best supps for lipofuscin. Largely Peaty stuff: CoQ10, ubiquinol CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, Acetyl L-carnitine, creatine monohydrate, curcumin, centrophenoxine, and piracetam

I wonder if by limiting lipofuscin you are actually increasing autophagy?

In one of Rays articles I believe he mentions eliminating PUFA while taking vitamin E (to minimize estrogen) and coconut oil reduces lipofuscin, fyi