Caffeine extends lifespan in animal model by 52%

haidut

Forum Supporter
Several other drugs achieved similar effects, but caffeine did best in extending both average and maximal lifespan. I have not seen any other naturally found compound come even close to extending life by so much. The human dosage equivalent according to the researchers is 100mg-200mg every 4h, so this would be 600mg-1200mg per day. Here are some studies:

FDA-Approved Drugs that Protect Mammalian Neurons from Glucose Toxicity Slow Aging Dependent on Cbp and Protect Against Proteotoxicity
Caffeine extends yeast lifespan by targeting TORC1. - PubMed - NCBI

Keep in mind this was pure caffeine study, not coffee or any other drink containing caffeine. So, in theory caffeine pills should be the way to go for replication, but I am sure coffee won't hurt either given its other good compounds.

Last edited:

chris

Thanks for posting this! I am tempted to buy some caffeine usp as well as aspirin usp powder, wonder if it would work out cheaper than using an OTC aspirin+caffeine combo.

chris

Dan Wich said:
chris said:
I am tempted to buy some caffeine usp as well as aspirin usp powder, wonder if it would work out cheaper than using an OTC aspirin+caffeine combo.

I'm thinking about this too, given 11 cents a gram for caffeine and 2 cents a gram for aspirin (assuming you are a horse). Wish we could find some pure aspirin intended for human consumption...

There is no problem with that aspirin is there? Other than the labelling of "horse" putting some people off.

4peatssake

chris said:
There is no problem with that aspirin is there? Other than the labelling of "horse" putting some people off.
I think this may be the only side effect. ;)

SickHorse-292x300.jpg

Vinero

This is amazing! 52 % lifespan extension from caffeine alone!
So if I were to live 60 years of age it would mean I would live to 90 if I took large doses of caffeine every day?
Here another study showing the awesome effects of caffeine on hormones progesterone and pregenelone:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837842
Would there be a difference between pure powedered caffeine and coffee?

kiran

Vinero said:
This is amazing! 52 % lifespan extension from caffeine alone!
So if I were to live 60 years of age it would mean I would live to 90 if I took large doses of caffeine every day?

Life extension is usually way less dramatic in higher organisms. This is not at all to put down caffeine.

Philomath

This would make sense as Ray Peat said caffeine is similar in action to T3.

J

j.

Jenn said:
Just remember the caffeine still needs to be accompanied by fuel/nutrition for the liver....so why not eat it with food, as in coffee?

Because after consuming as much coffee and chocolate as I can, and 2 liters of coca cola, I still want more caffeine.