Caffeine Decreases Vitamin D Receptor Protein Expression In Vitro

J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007 Mar;103(3-5):368-71. Epub 2007 Jan 12.
Caffeine decreases vitamin D receptor protein expression and 1,25(OH)2D3 stimulated alkaline phosphatase activity in human osteoblast cells.
Rapuri PB1, Gallagher JC, Nawaz Z.
Author information
Abstract

Of the various risk factors contributing to osteoporosis, dietary/lifestyle factors are important. In a clinical study we reported that women with caffeine intakes >300 mg/day had higher bone loss and women with vitamin D receptor (VDR) variant, tt were at a greater risk for this deleterious effect of caffeine. However, the mechanism of how caffeine effects bone metabolism is not clear. 1,25-Dihydroxy vitamin D(3) (1,25(OH)(2)D(3)) plays a critical role in regulating bone metabolism. The receptor for 1,25(OH)(2)D(3), VDR has been demonstrated in osteoblast cells and it belongs to the superfamily of nuclear hormone receptors. To understand the molecular mechanism of the role of caffeine in relation to bone, we tested the effect of caffeine on VDR expression and 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) mediated actions in bone. We therefore examined the effect of different doses of caffeine (0.2, 0.5, 1.0 and 10mM) on 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) induced VDR protein expression in human osteoblast cells. We also tested the effect of different doses of caffeine on 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) induced alkaline phosphatase (ALP) activity, a widely used marker of osteoblastic activity. Caffeine dose dependently decreased the 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) induced VDR expression and at concentrations of 1 and 10mM, VDR expression was decreased by about 50-70%, respectively. In addition, the 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) induced alkaline phosphatase activity was also reduced at similar doses thus affecting the osteoblastic function. The basal ALP activity was not affected with increasing doses of caffeine. Overall, our results suggest that caffeine affects 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) stimulated VDR protein expression and 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) mediated actions in human osteoblast cells.

PMID:
DOI:
10.1016/j.jsbmb.2006.12.037
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Attachments

• Caffeine-Vit-D-receptor-07.pdf
    202.2 KB · Views: 1
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
raypeatclips Caffeine Decreases Nitric Oxide (NO) , Cox-2 Inhibitor Scientific Studies 20
haidut Caffeine Decreases Exhaled Nitric Oxide Scientific Studies 0
IROM Alpecin shampoo: Caffeine, Taurine and Niacinamide (are corporations on to Peating?) Hair & Nails 8
G Starting Caffeine - Lots of Health Problems - Asthma, Erectile Dysfunction, Hypertonic Pelvic Floor, Hair Loss, Anxiety/Depression Caffeine 52
N Can I Dissolve Caffeine Powder In Boiled Water And Then Apply On My Scalp? Hair & Nails 22
M Post Caffeine Symptoms Symptoms, Causes 13
U Anyone Had Health Improvements From Reducing Caffeine Intake? Coffee 42
M How To Treat Leaky Blood-brain-barrier If One Is Sensitive To Caffeine Pill? Ask For Help or Advice 3
H Caffeine Giving Me Anxiety Ask For Help or Advice 1
ScurveDream DHEA Or Pregnenolone To Combat Possible Caffeine-induced Stress? Ask For Help or Advice 8
S Other Things Like Caffeine To Try? Caffeine 3
J Mixing Caffeine, Aspirin, & Antihistamine Experiments 6
ecstatichamster Caffeine Lowers Cerebral Blood Flow Scientific Studies 4
E New Evidence That Higher Caffeine And Urate Levels Are Protective Against Parkinson's Disease Scientific Studies 2
Mito New Evidence That Higher Caffeine And Urate Levels Are Protective Against Parkinson’s Articles & Scientific Studies 0
Kingpinguin How Do People Handle Caffeine? Coffee 32
Hgreen56 Caffeine Cause Joint Pain/inflammation Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Hgreen56 Has Someone Positive Experience Lowering Cortisol With Caffeine? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
fitnessgirl Caffeine 3x300mg/day Safe? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
S.Seneff The Effects Of Caffeine On Lipid And Mineral Content In The Serum Of Rats Caffeine 6
maillol Caffeine Reduces Fatty Liver But Increases FFA Metabolism 32
J Caffeine Ask For Help or Advice 7
H How Does Caffeine Stop My Hairloss? Hair & Nails 2
S How To Take Caffeine Without Raising Blood Pressure Caffeine 18
E Is Caffeine Tolerance A Big Deal? Coffee 0
ScurveDream Re-introducing Caffeine Back In To My Diet . How Should I Do It? Diet 9
L Caffeine Protects Dopaminergic Neurons From Dopamine-Induced Neurodegeneration Via Synergistic Adeno Scientific Studies 2
R Why Does Caffeine + Milk Do This To Me? Milk 8
methylenewhite Minocycline Lowers My Caffeine Tolerance Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
Sativa "Caffeine Salicylate" - A Novel Compound? Supplements 23
michael94 Stōk Caffeine Shots Caffeine 0
Cirion Most Cost Effective / Nutrient Dense Caffeine/Coffee? Caffeine 16
JanP Could The Caffeine Slow Down Metabolic Rate, When Calories Are Not Abundant? Ask For Help or Advice 1
E L-theanine And Caffeine Improve Sustained Attention, Impulsivity And Cognition In Children Scientific Studies 2
bzmazu L-theanine And Caffeine For Exam Performance Etc Stress 1
S Are Caffeine Pills/Powder Okay? Coffee 6
M Caffeine And Thyroid Function Ask For Help or Advice 10
Elchapchapchapo Caffeine Causing Exhuastion Caffeine 22
Runenight201 Caffeine Addiction? Ask For Help or Advice 2
Cirion Think I Handle Caffeine Better Now With Low Fat / High Carb Caffeine 6
Dino D Keto Fixes My Insomnia And Caffeine Tolerance, Why? Ask For Help or Advice 27
M Cases Of Caffeine "overdose". What Should Be Done Caffeine 24
Cameron Topical Caffeine And Aspirin For Beard Growth? Ask For Help or Advice 27
Ulysses I'm Sensitive To Something In Coffee, And It Isn't Caffeine Caffeine 36
A Cold Turkey Nicotine And Caffeine-Day 3 Ask For Help or Advice 7
M Using Caffeine, Niacinamide. in Oils Hair & Nails 0
J Liver Health (Caffeine, Dopamine Agonists, Fasts, All The Hot Topics Etc.) Health 4
C Coffee/caffeine Is Like Resistance Exercise For Your Liver Caffeine 1
ddjd Creatine Blunts Serotonergic Effects Of Methylene Blue And Caffeine Ask For Help or Advice 51
K Caffeine As Appetite Suppressant - Any Negatives? Caffeine 5