Byeabetes: T1, Raffinose, Anti-Inflammatory Suggestions?

frzntx

Since being diagnosed with T1D in December 1999 (based on fasting glucose level, ketone and glucose urine presence, and classic symptomology), I have tried various modalities to help stabilize glucose and energy levels, ultimately with the goal of resolving the underlying cause and ceasing insulin pump therapy completely. Upon reading some Peat articles (specifically Sugar Issues and Glucose and Sucrose for Diabetes), I'm now looking at this from a different angle.

Especially prompted by a study out of Milan (A Candy Way to Treat Diabetes), I'm tempted to try a feeding protocol of raffinose (a combination of fructose, glucose, and galactose). I will combine these all manually, but to what ratios and amount to ingest, I'm yet unsure. Beforehand, I will cease insulin therapy, fasting 24-48 hours to clean out the system (the insulin I use is active up to four hours) and then start some modified diet combined with the raffinose (still ceasing insulin usage). Obviously, I expect my sugar levels to be high for some time, and then hopefully normalize to a degree. Along with this I plan to supplement brewer's yeast and Vitamin D. What other anti-inflammatory and/or free radical neutralizing supplements are recommended? Vitamin C, aspirin? Given historically high estrogen levels and lower thyroid function, I intend to incorporate progesterone and T3 as well for a boost in my otherwise sluggish metabolism. Avoiding PUFAs is key in this also.

The anti-inflammatory aspect is based on the study using Lisofylline (LSF) and Extendin-4 (GLP-1) to reverse T1D in rats. While I can get my hands on both of these as research chemicals, I haven't done enough digging as to dosing protocol, how to suspend the compounds, or administer them properly to my precious rat. But perhaps this is a phase two experiment. It sounds like, generally, if inflammation response is reduced and the body is flooded with the correct sugars, beta cell regeneration will occur.

It is interesting to note that, after T1D diagnosis, a person typically still manufactures some insulin for a period of time in the "honeymoon" phase - weeks, months, or longer. My hypothesis is that, prior to insulin therapy, the body is still flooded with sugar and a small percentage of beta cells are regenerating (although not efficiently due to the inflammation response of the immune system) - however, once external insulin therapy is started, the mechanism of glucose consumption is altered and whatever beta cells that were regenerated eventually die out in the absence of adequate sugar (ie, the honeymoon phase is complete) and further regeneration doesn't occur. Again, just my theory.

In my case, the couple of years leading up to diagnosis yielded several trips to the doctor to examine puffy nipples with hard breast tissue, labeled as gynecomastia, which was said to be a hormonal response due to puberty and would resolve itself. To-date, it hasn't. I don't have labs from back then, but labs over the recent years show a trend of high estrogen and higher-end prolactin, despite always high free and total testosterone values. I've always been a fit and muscular individual, but I think there was always some estrogen dominance at play, leading to high cortisol and eventually taxed adrenals and an overall inflammation response due to this chemical makeup. Even around those times there was a trend of being on edge, hyper-aware/vigilant, which persists to some degree to this day and contributes to the overall feeling of stress, fatigue, and inability to rest fully. This is part of the reason I intend to incorporate progesterone in this protocol, still pending recent labs for progresterone, estrogen, and prolactin values. I noted in a previous thread that, from a doctor's visit four months prior to T1D diagnosis, urine was clear of glucose and ketones, and I wasn't exhibiting any symptoms of diabetes. At that same doctor's visit, I was given a tetanus-diphtheria vaccine. Is it possible that an increased immune response from the vaccine, coupled with an already compromised, inflammatory system, set the stage for the near-coma state and T1D diagnosis some months later? Does anything in this paragraph correlate?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals