• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Butter Doesn't Raise Body Temp. Coconut Oil Does. Why ?

uuy8778yyi

Is there a reason for this ? I thought all saturated fat would act in the same way.

jyb

In theory, I think both should. Coconut oil produces ketones that are metabolised quickly, just like sugar. Butter and its longer chains fats promote uncoupling so should also produce heat. In practice, maybe the heat production depends on how much you ate and how long you're waiting to get the effect. It's hard to eat butter by the spoonfuls, for example, and it's not absorbed immediately. So if you just ate butter as a one-off and the butter fatty acids are out-competed with lots of glucose from your diet, I'm also not sure if you should be expecting heat from the fatty acids (in the short term they won't be oxidised due to insulin).

Makrosky

:2cents
uuy8778yyi said:
Is there a reason for this ? I thought all saturated fat would act in the same way.

I think coconut oil has a much higher proportion of MCT than butter, so the fat in cc oil is different than the one in butter, although both are saturated. That's why you feel a difference.

MCTs are absorved more quickly than LCTFAs and don't require a few physiological reactions like, for instance, the use of biliar salts.

Have a look to Medium Chain Triglycerides on wikipedia.

Cheers

Makrosky

I forgot to say that butter has MCT's also but in a quite smaller proportion than cc oil

vb2005

Butter is hard to digest so you get no energy from it if you dont absorb it, it is the same with fructose if you have fructose malabsorption you can lower your blood sugar instead of rising it when you eat fruits.
Coconut fats some say are directly absorbed in intestine. To digest butter you need stomach acid, bile and lipase - its not easy unless the butter is raw, then it have lipase.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
livesimply Sunflower Seed Butter Fats 3
PeatandPotatoes Honey Butter Sauce Recipes 0
A Nut butter alternatives Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 13
Momado965 Cupuacu butter. Rich in long chain saturated fatty acids. Diet, Recipes 0
R Butter and bad body odour? Ask For Help or Advice 7
pauljacob Confusing Info From RP About Coconut Oil And Butter Diet 15
Energizer Ray Peat Interview What's So Happy About Serotonin? Butter Living (8/6/2020) Interviews 6
David PS What's So Happy About Serotonin? With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast) Interviews 0
pauljacob Eggs Fried In Butter Diet 20
S How Much Vitamin E (as Tocopherol) Is In This Shea Butter Product? E 1
Light Micronized Pregnenolone Is Dissolving Well In Shea Butter Pregnenolone 3
mrchibbs (Coming Soon) A New Landscape Of Life And Learning With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast) Audio Interview Transcripts 0
Inaut Ray Peat Interview A New Landscape Of Life And Learning With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast Interviews 2
theLaw Ray Peat Interview A New Landscape Of Life And Learning With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast) Interviews 1
methylenewhite EVERYTHING We Learned About Butter And Beef Fat Is Not True Anymore Diet 71
G Peanut Butter Without Oil Discussing Dietary Models 4
Lenny But Isn't Butter Estrogenic? Dairy 13
Inaut Ray Peat Interview Fertility, Pregnancy, & Development With Ray Peat (Butter Living Podcast Interviews 3
ScurveDream Sudden Craving For Honey Peanut Butter, But Then. Ask For Help or Advice 0
Inaut Declining Health Of The Young With Georgi Dinkov (Butter Living Podcast) haidut 45
hiconscience Peaty Peanut Butter Oral Health 40
Mr. God of Cars Butter And Heat/frying Ask For Help or Advice 4
Liam High Oelic Peanut Butter Starches, Fiber, Legumes 10
Mossy Butter, Bacon, Eggs, And Jam Banned From London Ad As "junk Food" Breaking News 13
Inaut Heat Lamps/cocoa Butter/transdermal Skin 3
L Butter/Cheese And Advanced Glycation End Productions Working Through Milk Issues 7
Broken man Cocoa Butter- Yes Or No? Fats 14
LifeGivingStore Cocoa Butter - Organic & Fair Trade Certified Life Giving Store 44
ddjd Cacao Butter: Strong Anti-cortisol, Anti-anxiety Effects Ask For Help or Advice 163
S Is There A Limit To How Much You Can Eat A Day Of Things Like: Cheese/butter Etc Ask For Help or Advice 18
G Anti-caking Agent In The Salt In Cheese/butter An Issue? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Tenacity "Coconut Oil 'as Unhealthy As Beef Fat And Butter'" Fats 43
R Anything Wrong With A Bit Of Peanut Butter? Diet 8
N Replacing Butter With Vegetable Oils Does Not Cut Heart Disease Risk (2016) Scientific Studies 7
tigerlily96 Butter Causing Headaches Diet 0
Westside PUFAs Ray Peat On Butter And Cream Vs. Coconut Oil Ray Peat Topics 36
Westside PUFAs "You Can Get Fat On Butter" - Ray Peat Ray Peat Topics 19
Momado965 Reheated Butter Diet 2
JohnBonham Can You Deplete PUFA While Still Eating Butter, Chocolate, Etc Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 62
haidut Eating PUFA Instead Of Butter Increases Overall Death Rates And CVD Scientific Studies 2
Luann Help I'm Craving Peanut Butter Diet 39
scarlettsmum What? No Butter? Children 13
mayweatherking Am I hurting myself by avoiding fat like butter and coconut oil? I can't have both.. what's another Macros & Micros 17
Amazoniac Amount Of Butter In Milk Dairy 0
W Why Do I Have Acne After Introducing Butter, Milk And Cheese? Working Through Milk Issues 34
W Your Favorite Butter, Milk And Cheese Brands? Milk 12
marcar72 Kerrygold Butter. Dairy 13
B Is macadamia nut butter safe? Fats 4
P Uh-oh! Did Trader Joe's change their butter? Fats 1
sprinter Coconut Oil Vs Butter For PUFA Coconut Oil 5