Burning, Stinging Achey Eyes - Please Help Treat!

Sumbody

This may be due to furthering of my little Thyroid issue, but this feeling in my eyes has been persistent for a couple of months now.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I was taking a methylated multivitamin for maybe about 4 to 6 weeks prior. Initially, I felt great and thought it was good to take for a little while as I feel like I don't absorb nutrients as well due to constant bloating and at times fast transit speeds.

After a while, I noticed low thyroid symptoms and this new burning in my eyes daily. I take 88mcg T4 and sometimes dabble with T3 sublingually, but I swear thyroid has zero effects on me. I'm now taking two 88mcg tabs just out of frustration, but I feel like I get nothing from it, same with T3 under the tongue.

Anyways TSH is super high, like 11 or something last time I tested about a month ago, while T3 and T4 are in the mid to upper ranges. Thyroid antibodies off the chart.

I'm going to do a CDS protocol soon because I feel like all this may be tied to some bad bugs or something. But what can I do to help these achey eyes right now???

What have you done or heard to resolve this aside from lowering TSH? Which is obvious, but difficult for me.

OP
S

Sumbody

This may be due to furthering of my little Thyroid issue, but this feeling in my eyes has been persistent for a couple of months now.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I was taking a methylated multivitamin for maybe about 4 to 6 weeks prior. Initially, I felt great and thought it was good to take for a little while as I feel like I don't absorb nutrients as well due to constant bloating and at times fast transit speeds.

After a while, I noticed low thyroid symptoms and this new burning in my eyes daily. I take 88mcg T4 and sometimes dabble with T3 sublingually, but I swear thyroid has zero effects on me. I'm now taking two 88mcg tabs just out of frustration, but I feel like I get nothing from it, same with T3 under the tongue.

Anyways TSH is super high, like 11 or something last time I tested about a month ago, while T3 and T4 are in the mid to upper ranges. Thyroid antibodies off the chart.

I'm going to do a CDS protocol soon because I feel like all this may be tied to some bad bugs or something. But what can I do to help these achey eyes right now???

What have you done or heard to resolve this aside from lowering TSH? Which is obvious, but difficult for me.
I had asked Ray about all of this and he asked if I consume milk and seafood and what my Vitamin D level was.

I had D Tested that day and it was 54ng/ml. I eat seafood maybe once a week and drink milk every other day or so.

He never responded after my reply. But I really need to figure out how to make this sudden eye irritation go away. It is very bothersome.

aquila2009

I’ve experienced the same thing after I crashed doing a vegan diet. It’s the one thing I haven’t been able to fix yet!

Dotdash

This can also be a sign of too little Vitamin A. Thyroid uses up Vitamin A as does bright light and reflections from white paper or snow. There are also some B Vitamin deficiencies that affect the eyes. I think Riboflavin (B2) is one of them. And by the same token too much Riboflavin can cause photo sensitivity. Blue light from computer screens, TV's, cell phones can also affect the eyes.

OP
S

Sumbody

This can also be a sign of too little Vitamin A. Thyroid uses up Vitamin A as does bright light and reflections from white paper or snow. There are also some B Vitamin deficiencies that affect the eyes. I think Riboflavin (B2) is one of them. And by the same token too much Riboflavin can cause photo sensitivity. Blue light from computer screens, TV's, cell phones can also affect the eyes.
This seems spot on, as well as the fact I drink alcohol on occasion. Which is also well known to use up vitamin A as well as B vitamins.

Birdie

Sometimes when my eyes are itchy and watery, I dissolve a little baking soda in water to make an eye wash. That relieves it.

Also, I use a warm face cloth (warm to hot water) not too hot. I hold that carefully over the eyelashes/eyelids. Then I wipe each eyelid at the lash line.

L

LauriePartridge

This is going to sound weird, but I went through a long period when I would cry burning tears. I don't know how else to describe it. At first I thought it was my mascara causing the reaction but then it would happen without my wearing any eye makeup. I have since made the connection that it was oxalate crystals in my eyes that caused the pain. I have had serious oxalate issues and when I spent time reducing oxalates in my diet, my eye pain completely resolved. But oxalates can lodge in organs (including thyroid) and other tissues and eyes will produce what is called "acid tears."

minni

I've had this issue, albeit it's due to severe Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (tested via LipiView).
So even if your issue isn't MGD, some of the below just might help.
And LauriePartridge, you're SPOT ON, about the crying. We can shake hands, since i'm positive my painful MGD mostly developed from endless burning tears (which I couldn't control, due to decades upon decades of stressful life circumstances). BTW, my sister also once experienced severe burning sensitivity in her eyes, and she told me she thinks it was from crying. But with her, it seemed to have been a one time thing.

Now for my strategy:

Firstly i find that hot foods, such as barbeque chips worsen it, and all hot foods, cuz they dilate my vessels, whereas tea is a bit of an antidote, cuz that contracts my vessels.

Also forced air heat, and cold wind, can HURT. Best is radiator or baseboard heat, and Gentle Balmy Humidity. Or a gentle coolish damp drizzle.

Also research Computer Vision Syndrome.

So much for what to avoid. Now let's move on:

ALL eyedrops eventually irritated me except maybe Refresh, and Similisan For Dry Eyes, and Genteal Gel For Severe Eyes).

IMO Refresh is best.

Then I discovered that putting Pure water into an old-fashioned dropper bottle such as Glass Dropper Bottles - 1 oz, Amber S-20037A - Uline and instilling it in my eyes (via each side of each eye) actually helps me the most for burning/stinging.
...without leaving an irritating residue, which even the lightest drops do. I keep the bottle handy on my nighttable.
...long ago there used to be Dwelle by Dr.Holly, a wonderful doctor. Dwelle was wonderful for me, even if it was initially burny. Dr.Holly used to explain that petroleum based drops can be irritating, and indeed, that's probably why water works for me best, as it's THE lightest.

You can also instill Light eyedrops directly after prepping your eyes initially with aforesaid water. Such as Refresh eye drops etc.

Also good old pekoe tea bags (warm) can help. You close your eyes, but keep a tiny slit open. Then lay the used tea bag on your nearly-closed eyelids. Then just follow your instincts, as to how it feels, and how long to leave it on. Also alternate between a cold/wet paper towel and a wam/wet paper towel, and do the same as with the tea bag.

Also try smearing white tiger balm at your temples.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sumbody

So I stopped taking Levothyroxine about 3 days ago and the eye troubles have faded away.

I suspected the T4 was causing this. I know it is not recommended to take T4 but I didn't have these problems before.

It may seem that either the excipients in the tablets are causing this, or the fact that it is too much T4 for me. I was taking 88mcg daily. But the eye troubles only began recently.

K

Kayaker

I believe levothyroxine's T4 is absorbed by the intestine and causes it to slow down.

T3 probably has the opposite effect, causing the intestine to speed up.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals