Burning Nerve Pain

Rivka

Hello, can anyone suggest a Peat approved supplement for burning nerve pain down arms and legs? Thank you

Poppyseed13

Rivka--

Without more information I am guessing that what you have described could be peripheral neuropathy (PN).

Some things that could help: a thyroid med (synthetic or natural desiccated)--I take Thiroyd and that has helped with my PN in hands and feet---I think this works with the 10,000 mcgs. of Methylcobalamin (not cobalamin) that I take daily. Methylcobalamin is an active form of B-12

I also take Benfotiamine (300 mg/two times a day) which seems to help with my PN. Benfotiamine is a synthetic derivative of thiamine (vitamin B-1).

I think Ray Peat has recommended Cytomel / Cynomel (brands of thyroid med)--but I don't know what he thinks of natural desiccated thyroid meds such as Thiroyd.

I believe Peat also recommends Vitamins B-1, B-2 and B-6, but am not sure how he feels about B-12 ... I was very low in B-12 even though I had been taking cobalamin for years---I have noticed a great difference with taking the Methyl B-12--in terms of energy and relief from PN.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

OP
R

Rivka

Hi Poppyseed13,

Thank you for taking the time to write up on your experience. This is a friend of mine who is experiencing this type of nerve pain and it goes down his arms and legs and is worse in cold weather.

I will certainly take on board what you have suggested as treatment and what has worked for you. I was thinking about a good B-Complex vitamin which may help him also.

One question about the B12 supplement that you take. Would you be willing to share the brand?

Many thanks again
Rivka

Mittir

RP mentioned that B vitamins, particularly B1 and B2 improve liver
function. But he also mentioned that B2 supplements can be very allergenic.
This is probably the reason i never found a B complex supplement that did not
have side effects. He thinks food should be a source of B vitamins and liver is
rich source of most B vitamins. He only recommends regular use of Niacinamide
at high doses. He mentioned B1,B5 and B6 can be safe supplement.
In this KMUD interview he mentioned Niacinamide is protective in all kind of nerve damage.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3263
He also recommends Thyroid supplements, Increased CO2 ( Bag breathing should help
1-2 minutes 2-3 times a day), lowering estrogen, progesterone and good nutrition.

Poppyseed13

Hi Rivka--

Just saw your message. I use Solgar's Sublingual Methylcobalamin 5,000 mcg. It seems to be the best tasting, quickest dissolving, and most effective (relief of symptoms).

Others I have tried but not liked as well are: Wonder Laboratories Methylcobalamin, Jarrow Formulas B-12, and Superior Source.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

OP
R

Rivka

Thank you to you both Mittr and Poppyseed13!