haidut

Forum Supporter
I really hope the keto community and other low-carb diet afficionados are taking note of the stream of recent studies that keep demonstrating a causative link between low-carb and/or high-fat diets, fasting, chronic stress, cortisol and diabetes. The evidence at this point is indisputable, no matter how much effort the medical industry puts into trying to suppress the simple mechanism that explains this connection - i.e. Randle Cycle. I have already posted some on this blog some of the more damning studies but they just keep coming in.

Increased Fat Oxidation (FAO) Does Not Lead To Weight / Fat Loss

The study below is a very interesting one, because it demonstrates the falsehood of the assumption that if one feels an influx of energy while on a diet that promotes fat burning then this must be a good sign and a demonstration of its superiority. The mice with increased fat oxidation did have higher endurance, and this is a phenomenon demonstrated in humans too. After all, it is all too natural to have higher endurance when using the fuel that was meant for long-lasting exertions - fat - compared to the fuel for intense but short-lived efforts (glucose). Yet, this higher endurance did not prevent the mice from developing insulin resistance and even diabetes while in increased fat-oxidation mode. What caused this insulin resistance was an increase in amino acid breakdown, which strongly points to increased muscle/tissue catabolism. This increased supply of amino acids somehow switched the fuel preference of cells from glucose to fat. You see, the organism needs its glucose and if it is not provided in the diet then it will be procured through other means and those other means are almost universally pathological. In this case, the increased amino acid influx most likely came from muscle/tissue breakdown as a result of elevated cortisol. The role of cortisol in diabetes has already been proven and one of the studies above shows that cortisol directly leads to fatty liver disease and state precursor to diabetes. As such, chronic stress is also immediately implicated as a causative factor in diabetes due to it effects on baseline cortisol levels. Thus, the findings of the study below match perfectly with the findings of the studies above. It also points to a possible way of reversing preventing diabetes - i.e. inhibit amino acid breakdown through its primary driver cortisol. Evidence already exists that steroids like progesterone and testosterone improve insulin sensitivity and can be therapeutic in diabetes (II). It just so happens that both steroids are potent glucocorticoid antagonists and block the effects of cortisol on muscle/tissue breakdown. So, the next time your doctor tries to lecture you on the virtues of the Paleo diet, intermittent fasting, calorie counting, etc - you can show him/her this post and the study below. Namely, burning more fat and less glucose directly leads to diabetes and tissue catabolism. It would be hard even for your brainwashed doctor to argue that these are desirable outcomes of dietary change.

Dissociation of muscle insulin sensitivity from exercise endurance in mice by HDAC3 depletion

"..."...Here we find that depletion of the epigenome modifier histone deacetylase 3 (HDAC3) specifically in skeletal muscle causes severe systemic insulin resistance in mice but markedly enhances endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue, despite reducing muscle force. This seemingly paradoxical phenotype is due to lower glucose utilization and greater lipid oxidation in HDAC3-depleted muscles, a fuel switch caused by the activation of anaplerotic reactions driven by AMP deaminase 3 (Ampd3) and catabolism of branched-chain amino acids."

Mouse models indicate burning more fat and less glucose could lead to diabetes

"...When normal mice eat, their blood sugar increases and insulin is released, which stimulates muscles to take in and use glucose as fuel. “When the knocked out mice ate, their blood sugar increased and insulin was released just fine, but their muscles refused to take in and use glucose,” said Sun. “Lacking HDAC3 made the mice insulin resistant and more prone to develop diabetes.” Yet, when the HDAC3-knocked out mice ran on a treadmill, they showed superior endurance, “which was intriguing because diabetes is usually associated with poor muscle performance,” said Sun. “Glucose is the main fuel of muscle, so if a condition limits the use of glucose, the expectation is low performance in endurance exercises. That’s the surprise.” The researchers then studied what fueled the HDAC3-knocked out mice’s stellar performance using metabolomics approaches and found that their muscles break down more amino acids. This changed the muscles' preference from glucose to lipids and allowed them to burn lipid very efficiently. This explains the high endurance, because the body carries a much larger energy reservoir in the form of lipid than carbohydrate."

paulwalkerrip

The study does not say that a lot of fat is problematic in itself, but replacing glucose with fat. You 'trigger this' by not eating enough glucose.

Thanks for clarifying!

I can't help but wonder though - wouldn't the level of fat have to be reduced to avoid weight gain? If it's high glucose and high fat - wouldn't that be a recipe for disaster?

ExCarniv

The study does not say that a lot of fat is problematic in itself, but replacing glucose with fat. You 'trigger this' by not eating enough glucose.

High carb+High fat = Randle cycle.

You need to decrease fat to some point tho.

TheSir

High carb+High fat = Randle cycle.

You need to decrease fat to some point tho.
Randle cycle only concerns fat and muscle tissue. The body is more than that. You are always burning both fat and glucose (given that you are eating both)

TheSir

Thanks for clarifying!

I can't help but wonder though - wouldn't the level of fat have to be reduced to avoid weight gain? If it's high glucose and high fat - wouldn't that be a recipe for disaster?
Depends on caloric intake. If you are eating well above basal metabolic rate, then minimizing either one is wise.

TheSir

My issue is that I can't seem to cut calories without triggering constant hunger ;(
Try eating more protein. Not only will it keep you satiated far longer, it will also increase your weigh loss even if you keep your fats and carbs at the same amount. Even though fundamentally anti-peat, low carb/keto is an effective way of losing weight without suffering from hunger. There is next to no long term harm in a 2-3 month bout of ketosis.

ExCarniv

low carb/keto is an effective way of losing weight without suffering from hunger. There is next to no long term harm in a 2-3 month bout of ketosis.

I'd rather do 24hs fast once a week then eat normal the rest of the week, creating a weekly deficit.

Even Peat said 24hs fasts are harmless if doing once in a while.

TheSir

I'd rather do 24hs fast once a week then eat normal the rest of the week, creating a weekly deficit.

Even Peat said 24hs fasts are harmless if doing once in a while.
I don't know much about fasting but that doesn't seem unreasonable at face value.

Steve

This subject always confuses me. I'm fat.
What is the safest way to lose fat?

HumanLife

This subject always confuses me. I'm fat.
What is the safest way to lose fat?

Vitamin E to protect against the oxidative stress caused by oxidation of fat and Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) to limit the stress response and lower elevation of free fatty acids in the blood. Non-high PUFA sources are found in eggs, tomatoes and mangos. Daily aspirin (no additives like silica, titanium dioxide, etc) also lowers free fatty acid, inhibits lypolisis, and inhibits fat oxidation. The reason why an aspirin saves a person from a heart attack is through promoting glucose oxidation. Daily walking in a green, sunny environment should help your body burn fat at a slower, but healthier pace.

I really hope the keto community and other low-carb diet afficionados are taking note of the stream of recent studies that keep demonstrating a causative link between low-carb and/or high-fat diets, fasting, chronic stress, cortisol and diabetes. The evidence at this point is indisputable, no matter how much effort the medical industry puts into trying to suppress the simple mechanism that explains this connection - i.e. Randle Cycle. I have already posted some on this blog some of the more damning studies but they just keep coming in.

Increased Fat Oxidation (FAO) Does Not Lead To Weight / Fat Loss

The study below is a very interesting one, because it demonstrates the falsehood of the assumption that if one feels an influx of energy while on a diet that promotes fat burning then this must be a good sign and a demonstration of its superiority. The mice with increased fat oxidation did have higher endurance, and this is a phenomenon demonstrated in humans too. After all, it is all too natural to have higher endurance when using the fuel that was meant for long-lasting exertions - fat - compared to the fuel for intense but short-lived efforts (glucose). Yet, this higher endurance did not prevent the mice from developing insulin resistance and even diabetes while in increased fat-oxidation mode. What caused this insulin resistance was an increase in amino acid breakdown, which strongly points to increased muscle/tissue catabolism. This increased supply of amino acids somehow switched the fuel preference of cells from glucose to fat. You see, the organism needs its glucose and if it is not provided in the diet then it will be procured through other means and those other means are almost universally pathological. In this case, the increased amino acid influx most likely came from muscle/tissue breakdown as a result of elevated cortisol. The role of cortisol in diabetes has already been proven and one of the studies above shows that cortisol directly leads to fatty liver disease and state precursor to diabetes. As such, chronic stress is also immediately implicated as a causative factor in diabetes due to it effects on baseline cortisol levels. Thus, the findings of the study below match perfectly with the findings of the studies above. It also points to a possible way of reversing preventing diabetes - i.e. inhibit amino acid breakdown through its primary driver cortisol. Evidence already exists that steroids like progesterone and testosterone improve insulin sensitivity and can be therapeutic in diabetes (II). It just so happens that both steroids are potent glucocorticoid antagonists and block the effects of cortisol on muscle/tissue breakdown. So, the next time your doctor tries to lecture you on the virtues of the Paleo diet, intermittent fasting, calorie counting, etc - you can show him/her this post and the study below. Namely, burning more fat and less glucose directly leads to diabetes and tissue catabolism. It would be hard even for your brainwashed doctor to argue that these are desirable outcomes of dietary change.

Dissociation of muscle insulin sensitivity from exercise endurance in mice by HDAC3 depletion

"..."...Here we find that depletion of the epigenome modifier histone deacetylase 3 (HDAC3) specifically in skeletal muscle causes severe systemic insulin resistance in mice but markedly enhances endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue, despite reducing muscle force. This seemingly paradoxical phenotype is due to lower glucose utilization and greater lipid oxidation in HDAC3-depleted muscles, a fuel switch caused by the activation of anaplerotic reactions driven by AMP deaminase 3 (Ampd3) and catabolism of branched-chain amino acids."

"...When normal mice eat, their blood sugar increases and insulin is released, which stimulates muscles to take in and use glucose as fuel. “When the knocked out mice ate, their blood sugar increased and insulin was released just fine, but their muscles refused to take in and use glucose,” said Sun. “Lacking HDAC3 made the mice insulin resistant and more prone to develop diabetes.” Yet, when the HDAC3-knocked out mice ran on a treadmill, they showed superior endurance, “which was intriguing because diabetes is usually associated with poor muscle performance,” said Sun. “Glucose is the main fuel of muscle, so if a condition limits the use of glucose, the expectation is low performance in endurance exercises. That’s the surprise.” The researchers then studied what fueled the HDAC3-knocked out mice’s stellar performance using metabolomics approaches and found that their muscles break down more amino acids. This changed the muscles' preference from glucose to lipids and allowed them to burn lipid very efficiently. This explains the high endurance, because the body carries a much larger energy reservoir in the form of lipid than carbohydrate."
So the mices' performances were being fueled by lipids converted from glucose converted, via gluconeogenesis, from aminoacids coming from the breakdown of muscles' proteins? (Regardless, it definitely proves insulin resistance and/or diabetes causes catabolism of muscles.)

Steve

Vitamin E to protect against the oxidative stress caused by oxidation of fat and Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) to limit the stress response and lower elevation of free fatty acids in the blood. Non-high PUFA sources are found in eggs, tomatoes and mangos. Daily aspirin (no additives like silica, titanium dioxide, etc) also lowers free fatty acid, inhibits lypolisis, and inhibits fat oxidation. The reason why an aspirin saves a person from a heart attack is through promoting glucose oxidation. Daily walking in a green, sunny environment should help your body burn fat at a slower, but healthier pace.
So you do the things you mention to limit the damage of fat oxidation, but how do you lose the fat in the first place? Do you just lower calories and walk, or is there some way to lose fat without lowering calories?

redsun

My understanding is because aspirin reduces clotting it helps prevent heart attacks. Pretty sure the heart preferentially burns fat for energy.

Steve

Why do you say that intermittent fasting or calorie counting may not be good ideas?

According to one of the articles you linked to it says that fasting at night would make losing body fat easier.........doesn't specify intermittent, but if you eat at 5pm & then eat breakfast at 8am that may be considered intermittent.

Also I don't understand what's wrong with counting calories. If you consistently eat 3000 per day & you are fat, then why wouldn't you go down to maybe 2500 per day? How else would I ever lose my fat belly?

"Although these studies were done in mice, the researchers speculate that human muscles most likely will follow the same cycle. The study opens the possibility of promoting body fat burning by increasing exercise activity during the periods in which muscles use lipid, which is at night for people. "Losing body fat would be easier by exercising lightly and fasting at night," said Sun. "It's not a bad idea to take a walk after dinner."

HumanLife

My understanding is because aspirin reduces clotting it helps prevent heart attacks. Pretty sure the heart preferentially burns fat for energy.

That's true, but when it can't use fat because of a lack of oxygen, it tries to switch to glucose.

So you do the things you mention to limit the damage of fat oxidation, but how do you lose the fat in the first place? Do you just lower calories and walk, or is there some way to lose fat without lowering calories?

I lost tons of weight with calorie restriction but I felt ***t and sucked at work most of the time. I should have eaten a bit more food and followed what my body needed instead of masking it with water. To lose fat you stimulate your body to use the fat for energy. Weight lifting stimulates the muscles to produce testosterone, and burn more calories.

scoobydoo

This is an interesting post however from anecdotes from myself and others that have follow a keto diet, it seems that insulin sensitivity is actually drastically improved. After wearing a CGM, both myself and many others found that after a high carb meal blood sugar would return to baseline much faster than when following a higher carb diet. Despite being physiologically insulin resistant (in the muscles) this quickly changes once carbs are reintroduced