Bumble bee brand oysters?

Dr. B

i saw these canned oysters at walmart, brands called bumblebee
they are not organic. I think its not possible to get organic seafood if its from the ocean?
the reason it looks good is the ingredients just list oysters, water, salt.
so there's no PUFA oils like many other canned oysters.

im wondering how these taste? I've never had oysters before.
Also, how safe are they to eat? one serving of 140 calories has 35% of the rda for iron. so oysters are a huge iron source. a couple servings and you already have enough iron for the day, i think the rda is 18mg so a bit higher than what Peat likes, he said it should be "revised strongly downwards" or something.

oysters also have lots of zinc though, so that can maybe help to avoid iron toxicity issues?
are there other issues with toxins, pollutants etc building up in oysters...

im thinking whether to implement a can of these a couple times a week. maybe 3 days a week...

i saw these canned oysters at walmart, brands called bumblebee
they are not organic. I think its not possible to get organic seafood if its from the ocean?
the reason it looks good is the ingredients just list oysters, water, salt.
so there's no PUFA oils like many other canned oysters.

im wondering how these taste? I've never had oysters before.
Also, how safe are they to eat? one serving of 140 calories has 35% of the rda for iron. so oysters are a huge iron source. a couple servings and you already have enough iron for the day, i think the rda is 18mg so a bit higher than what Peat likes, he said it should be "revised strongly downwards" or something.

oysters also have lots of zinc though, so that can maybe help to avoid iron toxicity issues?
are there other issues with toxins, pollutants etc building up in oysters...

im thinking whether to implement a can of these a couple times a week. maybe 3 days a week...
Yeah my canned Crown Prince oysters packed in water are just high in iron. I make a pot of oyster stew and split it in thirds, and only eat a third of it in a week, because of the extreme ironbinbthem.. I would be interested in the taste difference between the Crown Prince and the Bumblebee? I also put off the water it is packed before adding it to my oyster Stew. I figure that probably eliminates some of the iron and heavy metals. Just have your caffeine with it to block all of that iron.

OP
D

Dr. B

Yeah my canned Crown Prince oysters packed in water are just high in iron. I make a pot of oyster stew and split it in thirds, and only eat a third of it in a week, because of the extreme ironbinbthem.. I would be interested in the taste difference between the Crown Prince and the Bumblebee? I also put off the water it is packed before adding it to my oyster Stew. I figure that probably eliminates some of the iron and heavy metals. Just have your caffeine with it to block all of that iron.
i think caffeine doesnt block the animal iron, only plant form?
interesting. i was thinking of eating these straight out of the jar. they have water of their own in the can, that i wouldnt eat. do canned oysters taste good fresh out the can? or do you need to cook them. the expiry date is like 3 years later.
im wondering how come the other oyster brands add oils whereas this one is just water and salt. maybe its the packaging method

i think caffeine doesnt block the animal iron, only plant form?
interesting. i was thinking of eating these straight out of the jar. they have water of their own in the can, that i wouldnt eat. do canned oysters taste good fresh out the can? or do you need to cook them. the expiry date is like 3 years later.
im wondering how come the other oyster brands add oils whereas this one is just water and salt. maybe its the packaging method
It sure does blockbanimal iron or Ray would not advise to have caffeine with meat.

"Iron destroys vitamin E, so vitamin E should be taken as a supplement. It shouldn't be taken at the same time as the iron-contaminated food, because iron reacts with it in the stomach. About 100 mg. per day is adequate, though our requirement increases with age, as our tissue iron stores increase. Coffee, when taken with food, strongly inhibits the absorption of iron, so I always try to drink coffee with meat. Decreasing your consumption of unsaturated fats makes the iron less harmful. Vitamin C stimulates the absorption of iron, so it might be a good idea to avoid drinking orange juice at the same meal with iron-rich foods. A deficiency of copper causes our tissues to retain an excess of iron, so foods such as shrimp and oysters which contain abundant copper should be used regularly." -Ray Peat

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Even foods labeled as high heme-iron will contain non-heme iron. By weight, non-heme iron is often higher than its counterpart. That means that substances like calcium, vitamin C and coffee will affect the total load regardless whether the food is labeled as heme or non-heme.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
But yes, I sometimes (often) eat oysters out of the can. I add salt and a little bit of whatever sauce I feel like.

OP
D

Dr. B

Even foods labeled as high heme-iron will contain non-heme iron. By weight, non-heme iron is often higher than its counterpart. That means that substances like calcium, vitamin C and coffee will affect the total load regardless whether the food is labeled as heme or non-heme.
I see, so calcium and vitamin c and coffee, they only affect the non heme iron portion of the iron in meat then right? heme iron isnt affected even by those?

mate what brand of oyster do you use, and how do they taste. ive never had em before, someone told me they taste like metal.
is bumble bee a good brand? their oysters look good as there's no oil in them just the oysters, salt and water. and im not gonna drink that water so even if its fluoridated, shouldnt be too big an issue.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I alternate brands and test them with a Geiger counter to make sure they don't have blatant radiation.

Currently I am eating

Otter Kingdom Premium Smoked Oysters in Pure Olive Oil.​

from amazon.

It is in olive oil and I just drain the oil and enjoy. It doesn't taste bad.

When I eat the ones in just water, I like to mix em in food sauteed with eggs or something since they look a bit off-putting with their grey color.

In the Peat world, I think the focus on heme vs non-heme is moot since the majority of the iron ingested is non-heme.

With that said, heme iron seems to be minimally affected by chelators / binders, except perhaps calcium.

In addition to that, calcium will compete with phosphate - it is a no brainer in the Peat world to have calcium with most foods.

Michael Mohn

Sounds like a good product, depending on the price. Don't worry about iron in liver, oyster or chocolate as it is balanced by other minerals and eating more than half a pound of liver or oyster per week doesn't provide more benefits. Peat is against supplementing iron and iron fortified foods or iron rich foods like legumes and grains that have other problematic substances and are eaten daily in large quantities. If you don't like pure oysters you can hide them in an omelette.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great product, depending on the price. Don't worry about iron in liver, oyster or chocolate as it is balanced by other minerals and eating more than half a pound of liver or oyster per week doesn't provide more benefits. Peat is against supplementing iron and iron fortified foods or iron rich foods like legumes and grains that have other problematic substances and are eaten daily in large quantities. If you don't like pure oysters you can hide them in an omelette.
Or eggs with hot sauce ?

Attachments

• 20201103_184128.jpg
    20201103_184128.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 11

Vajra

I alternate brands and test them with a Geiger counter to make sure they don't have blatant radiation.
Holy ***t, have you gotten any positives? What about toxic heavy metals? You think any brands are safer than others that are otherwise good?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Holy ***t, have you gotten any positives? What about toxic heavy metals? You think any brands are safer than others that are otherwise good?
So far no. The meter is accurate but haven't had any radiation from oysters. I also used to check sushi after Fukushima and thankfully haven't gotten a positives.

Regarding the heavy metals, I do not know. It seems that most of the sources do have some level of contamination but some more than others. I eat them about twice a month and suspect / hope that accumulation won't be significant.

OP
D

Dr. B

So far no. The meter is accurate but haven't had any radiation from oysters. I also used to check sushi after Fukushima and thankfully haven't gotten a positives.

Regarding the heavy metals, I do not know. It seems that most of the sources do have some level of contamination but some more than others. I eat them about twice a month and suspect / hope that accumulation won't be significant.
have you tried bumble bee? hows the taste?
do shellfish have some allergen causing thing? theyre one of the 8 major allergens...wonder if its because so many shellfish are infected or have toxins/toxic metals?

Maybe test some of these foods and tell us what you find out?

Badger

Currently I am eating

Otter Kingdom Premium Smoked Oysters in Pure Olive Oil.​

from amazon.

It is in olive oil and I just drain the oil and enjoy. It doesn't taste bad.

When I eat the ones in just water, I like to mix em in food sauteed with eggs or something since they look a bit off-putting with their grey color.

In the Peat world, I think the focus on heme vs non-heme is moot since the majority of the iron ingested is non-heme.

With that said, heme iron seems to be minimally affected by chelators / binders, except perhaps calcium.

In addition to that, calcium will compete with phosphate - it is a no brainer in the Peat world to have calcium with most foods.

This company also sells cans of boiled oyster in water at Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B087WLB671View: https://www.amazon.com/Otter-Kingdom-Premium-Oysters-8-Ounce/dp/B087WLB671/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=otter+kingdom+oysters&qid=1629182647&sr=8-3