Building Muscle

OP
N

Nstocks

We've established that I need to join a gym. Right now I'm not going to do that, so would resistance bands be of any use at all? (VS just doing push based exercises like dips, pushups etc.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Resista ... ance+bands

I know it's not proper weight training, I know it's not barbell or dumbbell weights, but for building SOMETHING, would these be OK for the time being?

Gl;itch.e

Nstocks said:
We've established that I need to join a gym. Right now I'm not going to do that, so would resistance bands be of any use at all? (VS just doing push based exercises like dips, pushups etc.)

I know it's not proper weight training, I know it's not barbell or dumbbell weights, but for building SOMETHING, would these be OK for the time being?
Bands would be a valuable addition to someone training at home. They can be used in multiple ways to either make an exercise easier or harder depending on the need of the exercise. Across the back and under the hands to make pushups more challenging is one obvious use. If you have a pullup bar (or something suitably strong) you can loop a band and step into it to allow you to do extra pullups and/or focus on the top portion of the movement.

They also give you more exercise options if you have things to anchor them to, and you are only limited by your imagination and creativity.

OP
N

Nstocks

Gl;itch.e said:
Nstocks said:

Bands would be a valuable addition to someone training at home. They can be used in multiple ways to either make an exercise easier or harder depending on the need of the exercise. Across the back and under the hands to make pushups more challenging is one obvious use. If you have a pullup bar (or something suitably strong) you can loop a band and step into it to allow you to do extra pullups and/or focus on the top portion of the movement.

They also give you more exercise options if you have things to anchor them to, and you are only limited by your imagination and creativity.

I've been using them a few times a week and think they are great! So simple and quick to use, plenty of uses on youtube guides etc. I think overtime they can add some serious strength at no real cost either.

Gl;itch.e

Nstocks said:
Gl;itch.e said:
Nstocks said:

I've been using them a few times a week and think they are great! So simple and quick to use, plenty of uses on youtube guides etc. I think overtime they can add some serious strength at no real cost either.
DEFINITELY! Plus they can still be of use when and if you decide to step into a gym with free weights, machines etc to help accomodate the strength curve. So good all round investment.

loess

Gl;itch.e

sheldonkreger

Thought I'd check in with the OP.

I went from 145lbs to 198lbs in three years. That's a lot of tissue to develop. I was 22 years old when I started (now 25). Today I weigh about 185lbs at ~20% bodyfat. At my heaviest, I was probably about 25% BF although I am only guessing. I started out skinny . . . maybe 15% BF.

I train Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting. NOT very Peaty so to speak. High volume, high intensity, high frequency - putting the body under constant stress.

I used no drugs. Front squat went from 150lbs to 300lbs. Not that strong, but double where I was 3 years ago.

The only drawback was losing some mobility in my shoulders, which I have gradually gotten back this year. However, my posture has improved substantially and overall I feel MUCH healthier - especially my back.

The secret? FOOD. EAT MORE. Sure, eating Peaty would be great. But if you can't, don't worry. You need CALORIES and heavy lifting, for the short term. Once you reach a reasonable size, THEN you can move back to an ideal diet and add more variety to your training.

How is your progress?

Gl;itch.e

sheldonkreger said:
Thought I'd check in with the OP.

I went from 145lbs to 198lbs in three years. That's a lot of tissue to develop. I was 22 years old when I started (now 25). Today I weigh about 185lbs at ~20% bodyfat. At my heaviest, I was probably about 25% BF although I am only guessing. I started out skinny . . . maybe 15% BF.

I train Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting. NOT very Peaty so to speak. High volume, high intensity, high frequency - putting the body under constant stress.

I used no drugs. Front squat went from 150lbs to 300lbs. Not that strong, but double where I was 3 years ago.

The only drawback was losing some mobility in my shoulders, which I have gradually gotten back this year. However, my posture has improved substantially and overall I feel MUCH healthier - especially my back.

The secret? FOOD. EAT MORE. Sure, eating Peaty would be great. But if you can't, don't worry. You need CALORIES and heavy lifting, for the short term. Once you reach a reasonable size, THEN you can move back to an ideal diet and add more variety to your training.

How is your progress?
Id argue that powerlifting and olympic weightlifting are pretty "Peat friendly" in comparison to the other types of weight lifting. Olympic weightlifting in particular because of the lack of excessive eccentric loading. Powerlifting is lower reps too, so producing extreme amounts of lactic acid isnt much of a problem. Its more bodybuilding or crossfit style super high rep/low rest period work that would be potentially detrimental.

OP
N

Nstocks

Just a small update:

I occasionally use the resistance bands, which I've increased since first using them. I mostly only do bicep, lats and shoulder exercises - I want a broader upper body! I don't really have much interest in exercise - it's mostly spare of the moment thing if I get cold.

Food is still the issue to be honest. I know I still under eat and it's certainly not "ideal" foods. Common foods are: Goat milk, orange juice, dried fruit, grapes, custard, cooked fruit, chocolate, brown rice, haribo, poor quality biscuits (grains) and just recently I've added eggs. Chicken, eggs and rice as the closest I get to a "meal" these days. Though I have 4 spaghetti squash in my garden that are a few weeks away from ripe which I'll have with some beef :). Occasionally make bone broth and coconut water kefir for my digestion.

I just don't know, food is never on my mind anymore. I was OBSESSED with it when I was Paleo; spending 2 days of every week planning every single meal but now I just graze on whatever. I'm becoming bored of fruit (hence chicken and rice for more 'substance') and no longer eat any cow dairy due to bloating.

I'm at 25% body fat according on an online calculator. 177lbs, 31" waist, 7" wrist, 11" forearm. Height isn't considered but I'm 6' 2". I've definitely gained some fat in my mid section which is a slightly upsetting but it doesn't bother me really. A built frame (from exercise!) would improve my proportions but again, I don't have much desire to exercise. Addmitley I sometimes think I'm fat (because I have fat) but when I step back a few feet from a full length mirror, I can see that I'm slim overall with a small belly; again it's about proportions. I feel quite stale thinking about how little I actually move. Might take up badmintonn again though it's not going to help build muscle.

sheldonkreger

Nstocks said:
I'm at 25% body fat according on an online calculator. 177lbs, 31" waist, 7" wrist, 11" forearm. Height isn't considered but I'm 6' 2". I've definitely gained some fat in my mid section which is a slightly upsetting but it doesn't bother me really. A built frame (from exercise!) would improve my proportions but again, I don't have much desire to exercise. Addmitley I sometimes think I'm fat (because I have fat) but when I step back a few feet from a full length mirror, I can see that I'm slim overall with a small belly; again it's about proportions. I feel quite stale thinking about how little I actually move. Might take up badmintonn again though it's not going to help build muscle.

You're probably closer to 20% bodyfat.

Your bodyfat will have to go up - temporarily - while you build muscle. Gaining muscle is very slow without adding bodyfat - and much more difficult. You won't see results for months and months at a time. You need to EAT. EAT. EAT. And LIFT HEAVY THINGS.

No offense, but thinking you will bulk up using resistance bands - at your convenience - is fooling yourself. You need HEAVY weights - in the 5 rep max to 1 rep max range - FREQUENTLY - if you want to see gains. If playing with a barbell isn't something you can do right now, it's time to re-think your goals and set yourself up for success in the gym in the future.

aquaman

agreed, just because you don't currently enjoy the idea of training, doesn't mean you never will.

I don't like painting, not because it's "not me" but beacuse i've never painted. I'm sure if I did it for 6 months I'd enjoy it and look forward to it.

OP
N

Nstocks

I think one of my issues is patience. I'm actually very patient in everything (also somewhat of a perfectionist) and thinking that it will take a year of the same in-and-out activities to transform my body slightly it off putting.

BUT it was over a year ago I discovered peat and told myself back then "This is it, time to recover"... Exercise consisted of 20 minute sprints at 6am a few times a week when I was woken up by chirping birds.

As a self-confessed 23 year old male with eating issue and perhaps body dysmorphia, I've realised that I'm bothered by my "skinny fat" appearance than I previously thought. I look at young men and think "What healthy, fit and strong men they are"... I just seem weak and lazy in that regard.

I'm sure this question is silly, but are dumbbells a good place to start for at leat the first 6 months? I say this because I have zero interest and money to spend travelling to and from the gym but if I start to enjoy feeling tired from physical activity, I'm not ruling out the gym long-term. Perhaps I could look at weight lifting 2-3 times per week, once I know a routine that will target as much as possible.

Something like this (or cheaper): http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-Cast-Iron- ... s=dumbells

Next it's my diet which needs major work too. To get calories I might look at masa harina, or brown rice as the only starches. (maybe a little potato)

Gl;itch.e

Nstocks said:
I think one of my issues is patience. I'm actually very patient in everything (also somewhat of a perfectionist) and thinking that it will take a year of the same in-and-out activities to transform my body slightly it off putting.

As a self-confessed 23 year old male with eating issue and perhaps body dysmorphia, I've realised that I'm bothered by my "skinny fat" appearance than I previously thought. I look at young men and think "What healthy, fit and strong men they are"... I just seem weak and lazy in that regard.
Since this is the most important part of the whole process Ill address it on its own.

No matter what course of action you choose a year shall pass. What would you prefer to see at the end of that year? A healthier, fitter person, or someone just a year older?

In regards to dumbbells vs gym vs whatever. The answer will be "whichever one you can do consistantly and make the most progress on" With a home setup often you are limited by the total amount of weight available and variety of movements you can perform. But its a great start to weight training and one myself and countless other people did before ever setting foot in a gym.

aquaman

Nstocks said:

dumbbells are great!

Except you'd need probably to have 15-20kg on each dumbbell, not 10kg. You'll quikcly get above 10kg on presses, and dumbbell squats etc, so you'll need to purchase more weights or a bigger set straight away.

And some form of bench is pretty useful. I'd check freecyle or local gumtree ads for a free or cheap bench and dumbbell set, if you can fit it in your house somewhere. if you happen to have eg a wooden bench seat for a table, this would work fine with a towel on top.

OP
N

Nstocks

aquaman said:
Nstocks said:

dumbbells are great!

Except you'd need probably to have 15-20kg on each dumbbell, not 10kg. You'll quikcly get above 10kg on presses, and dumbbell squats etc, so you'll need to purchase more weights or a bigger set straight away.

And some form of bench is pretty useful. I'd check freecyle or local gumtree ads for a free or cheap bench and dumbbell set, if you can fit it in your house somewhere. if you happen to have eg a wooden bench seat for a table, this would work fine with a towel on top.

I was just about to ask how much weight I should look for as a minimum. Progressing to 40KG should see me well for a few months at least!

chris

Nstocks said:
aquaman said:
Nstocks said:

dumbbells are great!

I was just about to ask how much weight I should look for as a minimum. Progressing to 40KG should see me well for a few months at least!

Its been 5 months since your initial post and you haven't even bought any weights yet? Either go to a gym or ask Charlie to delete this thread. Weights at home is a waste of time.

OP
N

Nstocks

chris said:
Nstocks said:
aquaman said:
Nstocks said:

dumbbells are great!

Its been 5 months since your initial post and you haven't even bought any weights yet? Either go to a gym or ask Charlie to delete this thread. Weights at home is a waste of time.

I used resistance bands and body weights.

Weights are home are a waste? Ever heard of home gyms? I'm starting out, I don't need to deal with 10 different machines in order to get started. Simple and straightforward means I'm more likely to stick to it. There's thousands of "workout programs" out there, doesn't mean you should do all of them.

chris

Nstocks said:
chris said:
Nstocks said:
aquaman said:
Nstocks said:

dumbbells are great!

Weights are home are a waste? Ever heard of home gyms? I'm starting out, I don't need to deal with 10 different machines in order to get started. Simple and straightforward means I'm more likely to stick to it. There's thousands of "workout programs" out there, doesn't mean you should do all of them.

"I'm more likely to stick to it."

It has been almost half a year and so far you've stuck to nothing. Actually going to a gym gets you in a different mindset to being at home with a tempting sofa just metres away from you. Stop making excuses, I work a ***t job as well yet still manage to afford a gym and to go 3-4 times a week.

OP
N

Nstocks

chris said:
Nstocks said:
chris said:
Nstocks said:
aquaman said:
Nstocks said:

dumbbells are great!

"I'm more likely to stick to it."

It has been almost half a year and so far you've stuck to nothing. Actually going to a gym gets you in a different mindset to being at home with a tempting sofa just metres away from you. Stop making excuses, I work a s*** job as well yet still manage to afford a gym and to go 3-4 times a week.

Cool.

I don't like spending 1 hour to travel / que / wait for equipment to exercise. I also don't travel to work - I work from home and this is a lifestyle I've worked very hard to do. You stick to being a clone of society just because it's common. If it works for you great. I'm different and don't accept the situation as it commonly presents itself. I'm 23 not 60 and have up until now spent my time and energy doing other important things. Now it's time to start getting some muscle.

This thread was never intended to be about a life lesson so I'm not going to argue with you.