Building an arduino-based capnometer

EnergeticLeo

Hi all, been studying the bioenergetic view intensely for over six months now and have become interested in measuring CO2 as a way to gauge metabolic rate. Georgi talks about it here

I'm thinking it should be possible to make one using an arduino/teensy for a lower cost than the commercially available ones (e.g. EMMA capnometer, or this one Contec CA10M Capnograph End-tidal CO2 Respiration Rate ETCO2 Module Tester CO2 | eBay) and it would have an added benefit of being able to record the data onto an SD card.

Some possible CO2 sensors are Adafruit SCD-30 - NDIR CO2 Temperature and Humidity Sensor (although it may not measure CO2 concentrations high enough) and SprintIR R | Gas Sensing Solutions Ltd | NDIR CO2 Sensor. I'm sure there are tonnes more different sensors to explore.

Earlier this year I used a Teensy 4.1 to build a small device that can record my nasal airflow curve, via a nasal cannula, for the entire night, and I don't think this project should be too different.

Maybe even better would be to build an "indirect calorimeter" to measure both CO2 production and O2 consumption, and hence the respiratory quotient.

What are people's thoughts? Would anyone be interested in working on this with me?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom