Building A Home Gym...What do I need?

Inaut

Thinking about building a gym (not right now) but when I have some space and wanted to see what it would cost to do so. Which machines/equipment are a must?

I have a general idea what I'd want to use but I'd like to hear from the RPF.

清貴杉山

Hey budd,iv been building mine for the last 2 years or so,can you elaborate more on what type of training you like the most?
cuz i can recommend a few essential things to you

OP
Inaut

Inaut

Hey budd,iv been building mine for the last 2 years or so,can you elaborate more on what type of training you like the most?
cuz i can recommend a few essential things to you

Thanks for the quick reply amigo ! I like free weights a lot, some calisthenics(gymnastic rings and body weight stuff) and a few types of cable machines. More for body body building I guess. I was thinking squat rack with cables/lat pull down, full set of dumbbells, some barbells and a few leg machines like leg press, hamstring curl and leg extension.

清貴杉山

Thanks for the quick reply amigo ! I like free weights a lot, some calisthenics(gymnastic rings and body weight stuff) and a few types of cable machines. More for body body building I guess. I was thinking squat rack with cables/lat pull down, full set of dumbbells, some barbells and a few leg machines like leg press, hamstring curl and leg extension.
Ok,the more bang for your buck can be a power tower,that thing with multiple pull up grips and dip station,you can hang rings there,a basic rack with a barbell,a flat or multibench and if you like cables you can buy or make yourself a simple cable system,thats the basic,with a power tower and the barbell alone you can do alredy a ***t ton of exercices and work your whole body

清貴杉山

Also,get a pair of DB handles,you can load them with the weights that you want,you will find what suits more for you later on the road tbh,i just started with pushup handles and a rope,and slowly built up with the complete set up i have rn

mmb82

Kettlebells are always a great addition to (or replacement for) a home gym in my opinion. I currently have four kettlebells of different weights, a squat rack, bench, and some free weights. I am more into powerlifting than bodybuilding though.

Wagner83

With the caveat I'm more of a couch baked potato than a fitness freak, the best investment I made is a very sturdy and stable half rack with a good height. I hang gym rings for dips /abs stuff and I use the pull up bar for pull ups. You can add a weighted vest on those if they are too easy. Later on you can convert the half rack into a rack, add spotter arms etc... If you're in the US, rogue is pretty well known. In Europe it is not recommended (check trustpilot for rogue eu). ATX is, it's a German brand. In the UK bulldoggear looks quite similar. If I could have hung gym rings from elsewhere inside my home, I would have chosen this option first.

YourUniverse

Whats your budget?

I think a good squat rack with a top bar for chins, a barbell and plates, and an adjustable bench can get the ball rolling. Foam flooring to drop the weights and be FREE

Inabruzzo

Forum Supporter
I would invest in a rack, full or half depending on your needs. Olympic bars: 6’ and curl bars - shorties, a bunch of rubber hex dumbells (used) and plates, plates and more plates. Depending on your spending splits, for 2-3 grand you could pickup a cable machine that doesn’t have a huge footprint. Post pics!!

mrchibbs

Power rack (not a mere squat rack) is key in my opinion, along with some mats, and maybe a trap deadlift bar.

SlowWalker

Cheapest and most portable option would be a Bionic Body Workout Bar and resistance bands, its essentially a home made X3 bar which gives you the option to do most compound lifts with the apparent benefits of using bands, more weight at peak extension which is your strongest point in a lift.

OP
Inaut

Inaut

Anybody know of some portable or relatively compact calisthenics racks? I'm looking for something I can do pull ups, dips and rings with.

B

Braveheart

Anybody know of some portable or relatively compact calisthenics racks? I'm looking for something I can do pull ups, dips and rings with.
backyard-parkour-structure.jpg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals