Buffalo Wild Wings Does All Their Frying In Beef Tallow (shortening)

BMW1

According to their Allergen and Preparation Guide all of their food that is fried beef shortening is used exclusively and NOT vegetable oil. I was amazed when I found out originally from a co-worker who used to work at one and happened to mention it to me. I think she thought it was a bad thing of course as most people who are not Peat followers would naturally believe from all the vegetable oil propaganda out there. This chain has well over 1,000 locations worldwide and they fry all their fries (also potato chips and wedges), onion rings, and even homemade nacho chips in the tallow. Of course there is still plenty of PUFAs hidden in other ingredients like mayo based sauces, but I still thought it was a great find. My wife and I tried a couple of their Burgers without the added sauce/dressing and we thought they were amazing (one with deep fried Wisconsin cheese curds and the other with real Blue Cheese) with a sides of wedges and chips (really lattice type French fries). You can also get fat free powdered seasoning on any type of fries like lemon pepper, salt and vinegar, buffalo, etc.

tankasnowgod

According to their Allergen and Preparation Guide all of their food that is fried beef shortening is used exclusively and NOT vegetable oil. I was amazed when I found out originally from a co-worker who used to work at one and happened to mention it to me. I think she thought it was a bad thing of course as most people who are not Peat followers would naturally believe from all the vegetable oil propaganda out there. This chain has well over 1,000 locations worldwide and they fry all their fries (also potato chips and wedges), onion rings, and even homemade nacho chips in the tallow. Of course there is still plenty of PUFAs hidden in other ingredients like mayo based sauces, but I still thought it was a great find. My wife and I tried a couple of their Burgers without the added sauce/dressing and we thought they were amazing (one with deep fried Wisconsin cheese curds and the other with real Blue Cheese) with a sides of wedges and chips (really lattice type French fries). You can also get fat free powdered seasoning on any type of fries like lemon pepper, salt and vinegar, buffalo, etc.

Well, hot damn! I just checked their guide, and yes, it appears to be so-

https://www.buffalowildwings.com/gl...l2019-170455-2019-allergen-guide_november.pdf

https://www.buffalowildwings.com/gl...2019-170458-2019-nutrition-guide_november.pdf

I looked up the fries, and they listed 22g of fat, 9g of saturated fat, and 20mg of cholesterol. The cholesterol has to be from tallow. Similar ratios for chips and salsa! This is fantastic news.

Cameron

Probably explains why I liked there food much more then other places in high school! I myself find it interesting to see what places use what. Like outback and similar places cook steaks with pure butter.

yerrag

I should frequent Buffalo Wild Wings more often then, as they have many branches also in Manila. That, or I can also go to another chicken wings place, called Sunrise Buckets, which fries their wings in coconut oil.

I think the time has passed when supposedly-do-goody non-profits such as CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest) would clamor for McDonald's to remove beef tallow as the frying oil for their fries, which McDonald's did in 1990. If CSPI would try the stunt again on Buffalo, it would have to deal with the pushback from social media, in the light of a better understanding of oils. 1990 was still before the world wide web came to being, and it was hard to know any better.

DrJ

I've been going there for fast food because of this for a while! Outback Steakhouse also uses beef tallow for frying, and they use real butter and cream for other things. You can see in the nutrition data that most of the fat is saturated.

jzeno

Holy ***t. I'm going there.

Thank you for sharing. I never had in n out/McDonald's when they were frying in tallow but I hear it was to die for.

Hell yeah! This post made my day, I love BWW, now I can eat them with way less guilt

tankasnowgod

I think the time has passed when supposedly-do-goody non-profits such as CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest) would clamor for McDonald's to remove beef tallow as the frying oil for their fries, which McDonald's did in 1990. If CSPI would try the stunt again on Buffalo, it would have to deal with the pushback from social media, in the light of a better understanding of oils. 1990 was still before the world wide web came to being, and it was hard to know any better.

I believe CSPI was created by the Vegetable Oil industry simply to sell more product. Getting McDonalds was a huge coup, as it was the biggest restaurant chain at the time. Just imagine the increase in bottom line if Pepsi had become the official soft drink distributor. The oil they use is no different. I'm sure it went further than that. I bet they bribed McGovern to get those initial ridiculous nutrition guidelines passed, even over objections from scientists, doctors, and the general public. I've read stories about conferences and panels with doctors where the entire point was to push the PUFA propaganda.

I doubt they would target BWW. They have about 1,200 locations, a good sized chain, to be sure, but McDonalds has over 16,000 in the US alone. There is no reason that CSPI would ever bother BWW. Don't make the mistake that they were ever concerned with anyone's health. They were part of a financial strategy, pure and simple. One that is still paying high dividends to this day. After all, how many other restaurants made the switch because McDonalds did?

I did a quick look at the current CSPI board, and it's all bureaucrats and lobbyists from government agencies and political administrations.

Soren

Forum Supporter
This is awesome. Definitely going to be making a stop next time I'm back stateside.

johnwester130

who wants to go into business with coconut oil fast food chain ?

sourdough bread for the buns ?

any business minded people here ?

GgOTi

Might be worth noting that BWW refers to the cooking oil as “Beef Shortening” and that each of the items with significant levels of saturated fat also have trans fat. Unless I’m mistaken, properly rendered beef tallow should contain 0 trans fat.

yerrag

Might be worth noting that BWW refers to the cooking oil as “Beef Shortening” and that each of the items with significant levels of saturated fat also have trans fat. Unless I’m mistaken, properly rendered beef tallow should contain 0 trans fat.
AFAIK, beef fat is fully saturated. It may naturally contain some trans-fats. If rendering does remove the trans-fats, I wonder if it's done to eliminate the eek factor in labeling. Funny thing is trans-fats are safer than soya oil, corn oil, and canola oil because it has less PUFA content, and the eek should be directed at these oils.

bistecca

They fry in beef tallow with BHT i think was the nasty additive.. maybe others too. BHA and BHT are the additives i see inlard and tallow most often.. theyre probably worse than pufa to punish people for thinking you are allowed to eat real food.

Last edited:

Gone Peating

who wants to go into business with coconut oil fast food chain ?

sourdough bread for the buns ?

any business minded people here ?

It’s a great idea. Unfortunately, the public doesn’t truly understand the value of it so I’m not sure how well it would do

K

Kratos

They fry in beef tallow with BHT i think was the nasty additive.. maybe others too. BHA and BHT are the additives i see inlard and tallow most often.. theyre probably worse than pufa to punish people for thinking you are allowed to eat real food.

Ew if they use bht and bha at Buffalo Wild Wings then that’s horrible.

kaybb

Oh noooo!!!! Is it true for the Wing place ??

bistecca

Oh noooo!!!! Is it true for the Wing place ??
I'm quite sure it still is. They openly say Beef shortening is used for frying but I haven't been able to find the ingredient list again just now.. definitely had one back a few years ago. I'll keep looking.

theLaw

There is a clear trend toward "weaponized foods" found everywhere but restaurants that focus on quality of food (see fresh).

Even if you're lucky enough to find lower pufa, there will always be one more unnecessary additives/preservatives.

As time goes on, I find these foods to be wildly-mediocre, and not worth the negative effects to health. I would rather spend my time/money on more delicious food less often, than dull food every meal.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom