Buckwheat High In Magnesium, Even Higher Than Dark Chocolate

Vinero

I was watching a lecture about the fat-soluble vitamins from Chris Masterjohn on YouTube. At one point he began discussing the importance of magnesium and showed a chart of food sources of magnesium. Buckwheat was 3rd on the list of highest sources. Magnesium is a hard to get mineral for me and the Peat-diet in general. My main source for magnesium has been dark chocolate (50% cocoa). Surprisingly buckwheat is higher in magnesium. It's also lower in PUFA and Iron. What's not to like? I am going to make Buckwheat my main magnesium source from now on.

Magnesium content dark chocolate per 100 g = 146 mg
Magnesium content buckwheat per 100 g = 231 mg!

PUFA content dark chocolate per 100 g = 1.5 g
PUFA content buckwheat per 100 g = 1.0 g

Iron content dark chocolate per 100 g = 8 mg
Iron content buckwheat per 100 g = 2.2 mg

Last edited:

dfspcc20

I never seemed to digest buckwheat well, even with pre-soaking and long cooking.
I think it is a potential allergen.

mosaic01

Almost everything is a potential allergen. Buckwheat pancakes have been a staple in certain eastern-european cultures for centuries. It has to be prepared because the outer hulls contain a substance that can lead to light sensitivity.

OP
Vinero

Vinero

Buckwheat flour mixed with milk and eggs to make pancakes, or buckwheat flakes with milk+sugar to make porridge digests just fine. No bad digestion whatsoever.

Pompadour

I always bake bread from buckwheat. First buckwheat need to stand in water for 24 hours, so its sprouts a little. Then i mix it with fresh water in blender and let it stay for another 24 hours or so - the dough start to ferment. And only then i bake it. The resulting bread is so tasty! And i have no problems with digesting it.

schultz

I checked it on cronometer. It is quite high! I don't know much about it though but I am intrigued.

Coconut water is also a good source of magnesium. According to cronometer 4 cups has 240 mg of magnesium @ less than 200 calories. Calorie for calorie it appears to be higher than buckwheat and chocolate.

Eating fruit tends to add up the magnesium pretty quickly. For example, when good watermelon is available I tend to eat around 1000g of watermelon a day for lunch, which is apparently 100mg of magnesium.

Magnesium is a hard to get mineral for me and the Peat-diet in general.

It is? I usually get around 600-800mg drinking lattes and eating fruit. I disagree with the notion that it is hard to get in the Peat diet. 2 litres of milk already gives you 50% of your magnesium for the day. If you drink skim then it's a mere 666 calories. 4 cups of orange juice gives you another 25%.

Birdie

I checked it on cronometer. It is quite high! I don't know much about it though but I am intrigued.

Coconut water is also a good source of magnesium. According to cronometer 4 cups has 240 mg of magnesium @ less than 200 calories. Calorie for calorie it appears to be higher than buckwheat and chocolate.

Eating fruit tends to add up the magnesium pretty quickly. For example, when good watermelon is available I tend to eat around 1000g of watermelon a day for lunch, which is apparently 100mg of magnesium.

It is? I usually get around 600-800mg drinking lattes and eating fruit. I disagree with the notion that it is hard to get in the Peat diet. 2 litres of milk already gives you 50% of your magnesium for the day. If you drink skim then it's a mere 666 calories. 4 cups of orange juice gives you another 25%.
Yeah, seems a weird thing to say RP diet probably low in Mg, with ray emphasizing its importance and the amount you can get from foods like fruit, juice and milk. I guess if you didn’t tolerate those foods, you might have a point, but then you’d be saying you weren’t able to follow the RP “diet.”

Birdie

Another point is that though some foods may be very high in certain nutrients, their having other problems would lead to their not being as desirable. This idea of eating foods high in nutrients without considering possible anti-nutrient aspects was where I came from before reading Peat. Questions of whether the nutrients are absorbable, whether some other aspect of the food causes problems... a food might be great for a few but not so good to emphasize for a large amount of people. And then, ray recognizes that poor people can survive on foods that are not the most desirable. One of the things I love about him is that he does work from where people are. If you are living with buckwheat, he’ll help you optimize working with that for example.

L

lollipop

One of the things I love about him is that he does work from where people are. If you are living with buckwheat, he’ll help you optimize working with that for example.
I completely agree! It is inspiring to see Dr. Peat inspire, accommodate, and tweak, all in support of metabolic health.

edit: sort of like a truly effective “no one is left behind” policy, UNLIKE what is passed of as this policy in other circumstances.

tara

I eat buckwheat pancakes sometimes. Soak either the grain or the flour.
Buckwheat pancakes, made with or without milk, go well with raw or cooked fruit or marmalade or maple syrup (or cottage cheese etc if that agrees with you) etc. Also quite portable as a snack if avoiding gluten grains. Could use it as a wrap for anything savoury too. Fry in coconut oil or butter.

tara

I eat buckwheat pancakes sometimes. Soak either the grain or the flour.
Simple version: buckweat flour (soaked) egg, salt, water.
Optionally include: milk instead of water, yeast, calcium carbonate (eg eggshell or oyster shell if you have it fine enough ground to not be too gritty, if you think you need the supplement, help balance phosphorus) sugar/honey, grated apple, ....
If starting from seed, soak 24 hours, rinse, blend, add eggs and salt etc.

belcanto

I make cream of buckwheat (Pocono) - it cooks fast! I include collagen powder, dash of salt, cocoa powder, stevia powder (sweeten how you like), and coconut oil. The box instructions say to stand there and stir for 10 minutes o_O, but I start it to boil, stir it down, put the lid on, and lower the fire to extremely low. Check it in a couple of minutes, stir it, and it's done. I've been on an elimination diet recently and this was one of the few things we could eat. Without cocoa or other spice, it has no flavor; it's actually used for infant food.

Birdie

I completely agree! It is inspiring to see Dr. Peat inspire, accommodate, and tweak, all in support of metabolic health.

edit: sort of like a truly effective “no one is left behind” policy, UNLIKE what is passed of as this policy in other circumstances.
Like your little summary in first comment and the edit. Thanks!

I'm not using buckwheat at the moment, so will leave you all to it.

Almost everything is a potential allergen. Buckwheat pancakes have been a staple in certain eastern-european cultures for centuries. It has to be prepared because the outer hulls contain a substance that can lead to light sensitivity.

interesting.... what other foods contributes to "light sensitivity"

I do have artificial light issues. But never thought it would come from food.

X3CyO

Tried buckwheat cause of this post. Tastes pretty good.

Best trial so far with an instant pot is soaking, then pressure cooking with a Banana or two for 6 min on high w/ natural pressure release 20 min. Gonna try sprouting it first next time.

Ella

Forum Supporter
I love the nutty taste of buckwheat and it was a staple in my diet in my pre-peat days. The slavic people (hubby's side); buckwheat was grown as a staple cereal instead of wheat which was the staple cereal of my ancestors. It is extremely versatile in the diet, used to make pancakes, porridge, soups and as substitute in rice dishes. However, we have never sprouted the buckwheat or drank green juice from buckwheat leaves. Seems to be a recent trend promoted by those more enlightened than our uneducated, old-time peasants. BTW, long-lived peoples. My mother-in-law has never aluded to such practices in the history of her village. One needs to not search far on the internet, to find recipes by misguided raw food champions. Advocates who sprout the buckwheat and use it in its raw state under the assumption this is a healthier way to eat it.

https://thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/buckwheat-the-scoop/

I vaguely recall Peat mentioning a toxin associated with buckwheat. After a little research, I found this toxin to be fagopyrin. I wrote expressing my concerns to supplement manufacturers who were incorporating sprouted buckwheat in their formula. They were not concerned with the issue of fagopyrin toxicity. Perhaps they had found a means of removing the toxin or the amount of buckwheat sprout powder in the supplement was so minute, that it was of little concern. I feel a warning label is justified especially for those suffering associated conditions.

Here is an article published in the Townsend Letters back in 2004. It seems David Avocado Wolf was aware of the toxicity. It makes one wonder why warnings of such toxicity were not heavy publicised throughout the alternative health community.

I'd hate to think I have thrown the baby out with the bath water by completely avoiding buckwheat. Peat only recently changed his mind on mushrooms; learning that boiling them inactivated the carcinogen found in their raw state.

The following paper interestingly was published by Slavic researchers and may help weigh up whether buckwheat grouts and flour can be safely incorporated into the diet.

The content of fagopyrin and polyphenols in common and tartary buckwheat sprouts : Acta Pharmaceutica

The intake of 10 g of dry mass (or approximately 30 g of fresh mass) of buckwheat sprouts may, on the other hand, cause severe phototoxicity, but this might strongly depend on the exposure to sunlight, body mass and age.

So if you are going to eat sprouted buckwheat, best to stay in the dark. Buckwheat it seems is best not sprouted, just rinsed and cooked. Sprouting does increase nutrient density but it seems to also increase toxins too.

The image below shows where the cotyledons are found on the plant. This is where the highest concentration of fagopyrin is found. So it appears, the groats to be the safest, unless we listen to those health advocates and feel compelled to sprout them. :wtf

upload_2018-5-5_12-38-27.jpeg

Ideonaut

I was watching a lecture about the fat-soluble vitamins from Chris Masterjohn on YouTube. At one point he began discussing the importance of magnesium and showed a chart of food sources of magnesium. Buckwheat was 3rd on the list of highest sources. Magnesium is a hard to get mineral for me and the Peat-diet in general. My main source for magnesium has been dark chocolate (50% cocoa). Surprisingly buckwheat is higher in magnesium. It's also lower in PUFA and Iron. What's not to like? I am going to make Buckwheat my main magnesium source from now on.

Magnesium content dark chocolate per 100 g = 146 mg
Magnesium content buckwheat per 100 g = 231 mg!

PUFA content dark chocolate per 100 g = 1.5 g
PUFA content buckwheat per 100 g = 1.0 g

Iron content dark chocolate per 100 g = 8 mg
Iron content buckwheat per 100 g = 2.2 mg

Good news, thanks! I'll go get some. I've just started gluten-free, so it'll be good for that. I love Russian/Indian style roasted buckwheat (kasha), which cooks up like rice in only 9 minutes, has a wonderful nutty flavor, and provides great bulk for improved elimination. I get it cheap at a big import warehouse. Also love to grind raw buckwheat for pancakes.